Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State visit to United Arabic Emirates  (Read 10693 times)
Penny Lane

Small Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2012, 09:36:29 PM »

Dead Dead
Dead Dead Dead Star
Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2012, 01:03:26 AM »

Maxima looks good in head scarf.

Article from BBC about the dutch Geert Wilders's Freedom Party in Bea's wearing scarf

Dutch Queen Beatrix calls headscarf row 'nonsense'
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has dismissed as "real nonsense" a domestic political row over her wearing of a headscarf while on a trip to the Gulf.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16524897

Well for me it's not nonsense and I ask my self if the Queen of England EVER would wear a 'burka' or even a scarf... I don't think so and I NEVER would- even if I won't get some diamonds as a present or some stupid order... maybe they did it for dutch oil..? (sorry if I insult or hurt anybody) Max don't look happy at all with her 'beautiful' scarf...

Queen Elizabeth, when visiting Abu Dhabi in Nov 2010, did in fact wear a head scarf, long dress and bare feet when entering a mosque as a 'mark of respect' of her host country's religion.
Many of my of friends, when visiting Egypt, wear modest tops covering their arms and observe this dress out of courtesy to the religious customs of the place they visit.

I spent quite a long time in Egypt and covering your arms is not necessary.  A tank top will certainly elicit stares but a short sleeved top is quite acceptable.  Muslim women do cover their arms but no one expects non-Muslim women to comply with that dress code.

The Mohamed Ali mosque in Cairo (one of the most beautiful mosques I have ever had the opportunity to visit) did not require head scarves for non-Muslim women.  We did have to walk in our stocking feet.
RoyalDish.com
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2012, 01:03:26 AM »

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2012, 09:53:56 AM »

Betty, I second your experience.
When in Egypt I usually wore long pants and a reg. poloshirt. I never "covered" my head with a scarf, but I frequently wore hats and scarfs, because my bright red would make people stare.
IMO it is simple polite to follow your host countries customs.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Fragrance78

Large Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2012, 04:33:51 AM »

Betty, I second your experience.
When in Egypt I usually wore long pants and a reg. poloshirt. I never "covered" my head with a scarf, but I frequently wore hats and scarfs, because my bright red would make people stare.
IMO it is simple polite to follow your host countries customs.

ITA  Thumb up

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Nauru Nauru

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2012, 04:48:32 AM »

When I was kid, my grandmother did the same..
Thank you Pede for the flashboack, I've totally forgotten that.
I wore sometimes scarf in summer.

But a scarf as Grace Kelly used to tie is so elegant.

Smiley Hug

"Every once in a while a dog enters your life - and changes everything!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: