Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 175   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queen/ DoE : news & photo's  (Read 458064 times)
lellobeetle

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2505 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »

My statement above was not out of concern that PC would grasp power. My statement has to do with the wildly out of control press that speculate and generally have a "the sky is falling" mentality designed to sell copy, but at the same time very troublesome. 

Duchess of Verona

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2506 on: January 12, 2017, 02:42:28 AM »

Perhaps I am the only one, but I have always seen Charles as being EXTREMELY spoiled and 'do as I say, not as I do'. I think the reason for his push for the slimmed down monarchy is 1. because he knows that the Commonwealth will implode the second QEII dies and 2. that he is very territorial of 'his' rights. I also think, given his famous resentment of being upstaged , that more than likely he has encouraged his sons and DIL not to take on many assignments because he is threatened. JMHO.
loubna

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2507 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »

i think that the idea to slimmed down the monarchy is good, because things has changed so much since elizabeth became queen, that what is accepted by people to don't disturb the present monarch, won't be with his successor
as for charles, i don't think he is spoiled, but he knows that he is an intelligent and cultivated man, and he could have done so much more
JMO, unfortunately his qualities are of no interest for the job of british king, and it's for that william or harry who are very average in term of intellect are seen by people as more suitable for the job, because they are bland and have zero interesting idea to give
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:53:01 AM by loubna » Logged
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2508 on: January 12, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »

Perhaps I am the only one, but I have always seen Charles as being EXTREMELY spoiled and 'do as I say, not as I do'. I think the reason for his push for the slimmed down monarchy is 1. because he knows that the Commonwealth will implode the second QEII dies and 2. that he is very territorial of 'his' rights. I also think, given his famous resentment of being upstaged , that more than likely he has encouraged his sons and DIL not to take on many assignments because he is threatened. JMHO.

I'm sure he was spoilt (and still is to a degree) and it came as a shock to him that his first wife was the star in just a few months while he was the royal heir and had worked for the country for a decade already. I'm sure most of the people who were told they are something special from very early on (not to mention being called HRH, Prince, being treated according to their place in the line of succession and see that people bow and curtsy even when they are still a child) react like that. But I think when everyting broke down, his many mistakes became public and he was the villain in the eyes of so many people he did learn a lot about the real life outside the palace and the royal family.

Charles did several mostly military events with Harry in the last years and there were a few occasions when the crowd didn't let go of Harry and Charles had to wait. But he never looked envious or annoyed by that. On the contrary at the opening of the first IG when Harry got a lot of praise he looked very proud. So I don't believe that he doesn't want his sons to overshadow him. But I think that the realtionship with William is very complicated and strained. And while Harry doesn't seem to have a problem to cooperate and support Charles  (and Charles supports him in his way) while still doing his own stuff I doubt Will does the same. I think Will was raised to be number one and that everyone is there to support him and he behaves accordingly. JMO

Re sliming down the monarchy: I think this has to be done. Today travelling is much easier and you can do more in less time while still being able to have a family life. And with HM having 4 children and so many cousins the monarchy needs to slim down. The only problem I see is that every member of the working royals really needs to do his/her part to keep the monarchy relevant but the heir to the heir and his wife don't look like they want to.

Witchell: Clearly a greater share of royal burden will fall on you and as that happens you will grasp it willingly?
Will: Absolutely willingly. And as that time comes I'll be the first person to put my hand up and take it on. But [] my grandfather is so active [] and unwilling to slow down.
Roll Eyes
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #2509 on: January 12, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »

I think that monarchies today are different than they used to be.
Unfortunately for todays royals, we expect them to work more than ever since the middle ages. Until the time of immediate news like TV, internet and twitter, people hardly knew what their royals were doing in their palaces. The Queens and princesses did visit the occasional hospital or orphanage, but not only was there little press to write and publish about, there just weren't that many visits to begin with. There was a lot of "work" in social networking to be done via meeting the "right" people at tea time, lunches and of course evening events, that we would now consider private parties. Of course the correspondence took ages as well. But while the royal household was certainly much bigger than today, the luxury was not comparable to today either. Just read about Queen Victoria's daughters until marriage and even after, of course compared to the great unwashed they had a good live, but it certainly wasn't the spoilt and pampered live the royals have today. The daughters indeed worked their behinds off, as secretaries and personal assistances to the Queen. I don't see Eugenie or Beatrice do any of this for QEII, all they want is a paid for outfit, a fanfare welcome at a charity gala and a salary that matches that of a 70h a week CEO for a 70h a year input.
Beatrice's namesake in 1870 never got anywhere close to those conditions.
The deal Kate Middleton and William got for working so little is phenomenal, and Britain (and Charles) certainly can't extent that to Eugenie and Beatrice who will in the near future also claim the maternity card for working 50 days out of 365 and call it a full time job.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Noodlesza

Gigantic Member

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #2510 on: February 07, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »

The queen has returned to London after her Christmas holidays

She looks so well and lovely in green!

Keen!
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #2511 on: February 07, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »

Beautiful head "shmatte"!
onar

Small Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #2512 on: February 07, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »

she looks so happy! Thumb up
ortensia

Huge Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #2513 on: February 07, 2017, 05:46:47 PM »

ITA!!
I adore her Hermes headscarf and I would steal it right now!
Maybe Linus is interested too?
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #2514 on: February 07, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »

Adorable, just the sweetest little easter bunny in fresh spring green.
And yes the scarf is to die for.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2515 on: February 07, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »

Sixty-five years on the throne. How does she do it???

I suppose there had to have been a residual sadness in this anniversary because, after all, it is the 65th anniversary of her beloved father's death. He's been gone more years than he lived.
CathyJane

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2516 on: February 07, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »

Liz looks lovely!
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #2517 on: February 07, 2017, 09:05:44 PM »

I suppose there had to have been a residual sadness in this anniversary because, after all, it is the 65th anniversary of her beloved father's death. He's been gone more years than he lived.
It's the anniversary of her father's death every year; not sure why she'd be any sadder with this one (and he's been "gone more yrs than he lived" for nearly 10 years...). Just sayin'.
Nuno

Humongous Member

Portugal Portugal

TM The King and Queen of Spain

Ignore
« Reply #2518 on: February 07, 2017, 11:29:09 PM »

ITA!!
I adore her Hermes headscarf and I would steal it right now!
Maybe Linus is interested too?
But then Linus wouldn't know how to pull it off with such grace and style  Smiley

"You can call me Happiness...yes Queen Happiness. It sounds great!" - Queen Letizia, Red Cross 150th Anniversary Wink

"Hey Cristina, I'm the Queen now :D"
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2519 on: February 08, 2017, 02:07:06 AM »

It's the anniversary of her father's death every year; not sure why she'd be any sadder with this one (and he's been "gone more yrs than he lived" for nearly 10 years...). Just sayin'.

I suppose it's the juxtaposition of memories of his death with certain notable anniversaries of the Queen's ascension to the throne, for instance the fortieth, Golden Jubilee year, the Diamond, and now, this one in which she has been on the Throne for longer than any other British monarch.

I don't think Elizabeth would be human if she didn't occasionally think to herself 'If my father had lived I wouldn't be being congratulated now for my fifty years on the throne,' or 'If Daddy had lived for even twenty more years than he did I wouldn't have reached my 65th year as Queen. If only he'd lived longer!'

After all, he was her father, and reputedly they were very close. Just because you yourself get old doesn't mean your parents get forgotten.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 175   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: