Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norwegian Royal News  (Read 255311 times)
Thistle

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1980 on: January 24, 2015, 11:28:03 PM »

RIP!

They were quite a good looking couple!

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
waterbuck

Micro Member

Norway Norway

Ignore
« Reply #1981 on: January 25, 2015, 12:48:46 AM »

RIP

Johan Martin always seemed like a decent, modest man.

It was a bit of controversy before he and Astrid got married, bechause Johan was divorced. But they seemed to have a stable, happy marriage.

Flamingo

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1982 on: January 25, 2015, 05:06:14 AM »

Johan Martin always seemed like a decent, modest man.

ITA.  I always liked both him and Astrid very much.  He seemed like a very faithful husband and a good father.

Has anything been announced about the funeral?
LittleThunder

Large Member

France France

Forever my Queen !

Ignore
« Reply #1983 on: January 25, 2015, 01:46:15 PM »

I don't know much about him either. He and Astrid lived mostly out of the spotlight. But I found their wedding photos and a beautiful couple they were...

I wonder if there'll be a big funeral for him?

May he rest in peace.  Angel
It's surprising he didn't have a more active role with all his high education.  Thinking He was probably the kind who like discretion.

Off topic, but her wedding dress was beautiful ! 

Flamingo

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1984 on: January 25, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »

The home page of the royal website has been taken over with a photo of Astrid and Johan as a young couple, and there's a link to an album of mostly wedding and engagement pictures.  I think that's a very nice tribute, considering he wasn't an official member of the royal family at all.

http://www.kongehuset.no/

It's surprising he didn't have a more active role with all his high education.  Thinking He was probably the kind who like discretion.

That's what I most admired about him.  He gave one interview, for his 50th birthday in 1977, and never spoke publicly otherwise.  Astrid once said that he was a very opinionated man who was fond of writing irate letters to the editor on various political issues, none of which he ever sent, because he was conscious of how damaging that could be to her position.  (Can you imagine Ari Behn never speaking to the media and keeping to himself for 50 years? Crazy )  I think this discretion was a defining feature of Johan's generation: consider that his ex-wife never once spoke to a newspaper - and that's an interview that could have gone for quite a lot of money during all the criticism of him and Astrid during their engagement.

He was an accomplished man in his own right, and he was both secure enough and humble enough that it never seemed to bother him that, as far as the public was concerned, he was very much in his wife's shadow.  I can't imagine Henrik-esque whining from him, nor did he ever have any interest in using Astrid's status to advance himself or his business interests.  Astrid has noted that especially at the beginning of their marriage, he was very careful to make sure that he never seemed to be putting himself forward or "playing prince."

Astrid once described him as "the most loyal husband in the world."  He in turn referred to her as "my heart's princess." Cry

Off topic, but her wedding dress was beautiful !  

ITA - it's one of my favorite royal wedding dresses.  I love the detail in the lace.  And they were married on a cold, snowy day in January, so she had this gorgeous white coat to go with it.  I would post a photo, but it's been so long since I did that that I can't remember how to do it.
loubna

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1985 on: January 26, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »

Johan Martin Ferner, the husband of Princess Astrid, died peacefully at a hospital in Oslo today

http://www.kongehuset.no/...?tid=124700&sek=26939

sad, sad news  Sad

I knew very little about him, but he was really accomplished: Johan Ferner was born on 22 July 1927. He was educated in commerce from Norway, England and France, with studies at the London Polytechnic Institute, Bradford Technical College and the University of Lyon. Together with his brother ran and he developed the family business Ferner Jacobsen.

Ferner excelled sailing, and was part of the crew who took silver in 6-meter class at the Olympics in Helsinki in 1952. Princess Astrid and Johan Ferner married in Asker Church on January 12, 1961. Together they had five children.

RIP¨ Sad
his CV is impressive
editorathome
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #1986 on: Yesterday at 06:20:34 AM »

Has anything been announced about the funeral?

Johan Ferner's funeral will take place next Monday, February 2.   Details here:

http://trondni.blogspot.c...ners-funeral-to-take.html

http://dagtho.blogspot.co...-johan-martin-ferner.html
bumbershoot

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1987 on: Yesterday at 07:13:49 PM »

Many condolences for Aunty Astrid who is, by far, my favorite member of the NRF. Although she's bereaved at the moment, I always thought it would be fun to have her as a dinner party companion.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: