Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would Harry be allowed to marry a Woman of Colour  (Read 114084 times)
just me
Banned
Big Member

India India

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:12:49 AM »

i  personally had this thought when harry was on his first official royal tour on the behalf of HM and there were pictures of him having a good laugh with a beauty queen whose name i do not remember at the moment .Being a citizen of india i always had a racist images of rf ( not the kind of racism that was practiced before but a little  more subtle) , even today dolittles's millionaire family was used to looked down , so i am guessing that race and color of one's skin is still an issue with the rf plus aristocratic even in 21st century. i used to live in england during collage and i did noticed that the concept of racial superiority is not completely gone for a lot of brits . so i am curious whether harry's bride's skin color would be an issue with rf plus the public or not?

my guess is yes , but i would love to know about what everyone else thinks about a colored royal bride and what will rf would think about this hypothetical prospect .

let us assume harry is really in love with her and wants to marry her and she reciprocates his feelings too.
PrincessMLA
Banned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:01:28 AM »

I apologize if I misunderstood what you wrote, but it sounded like you used Will marrying a white woman, as an example of racism.  Huh?

Harry would not be the first member of his family to wed a colored person. Lady Davina's husband is Maori.
just me
Banned
Big Member

India India

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:15:10 AM »

I apologize if I misunderstood what you wrote, but it sounded like you used Will marrying a white woman, as an example of racism.  Huh?

Harry would not be the first member of his family to wed a colored person. Lady Davina's husband is Maori.
oh no i did not use will marrying kate as an example of racism ,i used this to suggest that royals are still stuck in the past where they still care about old money ,race and family standing in society more then personal attributes of a person.  i asked about harry because he is the son of the heir and in the direct line to the throne ,someone who will have a public role and not just a tittle. i remember that when he was seen with the beauty queen a lot comments on dm were saying that royals will never except her or any other  person who is not white into the rf family especially someone with the kind of public profile  of harry.
PrincessMLA
Banned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »

Kate is not old money, nor any social standing. She is the exact opposite. New money, middle class. 

Not all aristos, and even royals, are caucasian. Prince Maximillan of Lichtenstein's wife Angela is of Afro-Panamanian descent.
Jane

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Daiz

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:27 AM »

Of course he would be. The more interesting question is whether he would really meet women from a different cultural background. I think his circle is pretty uniform upper class wealthy white people.
just me
Banned
Big Member

India India

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:21:44 AM »

Kate is not old money, nor any social standing. She is the exact opposite. New money, middle class. 

Not all aristos, and even royals, are caucasian. Prince Maximillan of Lichtenstein's wife Angela is of Afro-Panamanian descent.

Yeah Kate is the  opposite and she was ridiculed for that I.e.doors to manual etc, it was very popular fact that William's circle was not very welcoming towards her and made some very nasty and snobbish remarks.
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »

I don't think he would have a problem, imo it could have been harder to stomach for some people if it had been William.

christina01
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Play Time after a long day of Dishing.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »

I don't know. IMO the BRF is still biased and old fashioned enough for Harry to just not go there as such. I might be very wrong of course, and would like to think I am. People should be allowed to marry whom they wish, despite who they are. Mind you, this from a woman whose own parents had a arranged marriage, which worked very well for both parties 
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »

To be honest: most people marry people that fit into their circle, so I don't quite see why royals should be different. The current crop of future regents have all married "on the outskirts" of their circles so I can't really see where the discussion would go. By now it would almost be more surprising if Harry married another royal or "just" some nobleborn woman.
christina01
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Play Time after a long day of Dishing.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »

I have a feeling this discussion could go pear shaped  Crap
Dangereuse

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »

Yeah Kate is the  opposite and she was ridiculed for that I.e.doors to manual etc, it was very popular fact that William's circle was not very welcoming towards her and made some very nasty and snobbish remarks.

I wonder if that was because she was acting "grander" than they were.  There is no shame in being born a middle-class commoner, but she may have been trying to deny her origins.

Back to the question: There was a Larry King episode on CNN several years ago when he was interviewing some royal reporter, and the topic of being black and/or catholic came up for potential spouses for royals.  The reporter dismissed the catholic issue as they cannot marry one, and said that a black person would not be received in the circles the royals travel in, so the royals would not even try.  I have come to realize that within the BRF, the HRHs are perceived and treated differently than the non-HRHs who are in line to the throne.  Lady Davina is so far away from the throne (and the son of the late Earl Harewood even farther) that when they married someone "non-white" it did not matter.  One rule for HRH, one rule for the others.  I for one would love for Harry (or the York girls or the Wessex kids) to marry someone of another race or religion or nationality (Canada is not really pushing the envelope).  Hell, I would love it if he married someone who has a JOB.  But the decision is ultimately up to the sovereign, if the Royal Marriages Act still applies.
Lolly

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »

I wonder if that was because she was acting "grander" than they were.  There is no shame in being born a middle-class commoner, but she may have been trying to deny her origins.

She hosted a sleepover once when she was at school, they were all the daughters of dukes/earls etc., there wasn't anyone other than Kate who wasn't the daughter of a titled aristo. The other girls noticed, especially as they didn't know Kate all that well and were surprised to be invited. That may be more Ma/Pa Midds' fault than Kate's, but I imagine the social climbing was noted.
Schockobaerin

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 10:56:48 AM »

Well i think so, if willy was allowed to marry his middle class social climber mistress, anything its possible, remember harry´s last gf is african, nor colored, but african... But to tell you the truth i dont think he´s going to marry a coloured woman, like said before his social circle is pretty tight, kate was lucky because she was  willy´s flatmate back at the university, only because of that she had the choice to land him, interracial marriages are pretty rare, not only in royals but everywhere, normaly coloured marries coloured, the "coloured" doesnt like the "whites" either, but that would be a really interesting thing, and dont forget that many "whites" are coloured wannabes f.e our pippa with her orange tan, just saying...
just me
Banned
Big Member

India India

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »

To be honest: most people marry people that fit into their circle, so I don't quite see why royals should be different. The current crop of future regents have all married "on the outskirts" of their circles so I can't really see where the discussion would go. By now it would almost be more surprising if Harry married another royal or "just" some nobleborn woman.
I don't really get the fitting into ones circle party and I am sorry to pin point but a far as education, personnel qualities like manners etc or even wealth is concerned there are many people from different religion and race that can go head to head with harry's elite social circle (i actually don't think that Kate fits this criteria in terms of intelligence or personality is concerned p, even today the richest person in England is actually Indian.i think the not fitting in the circle comes from the backward thinking of the past that elites just refuse to give up like the class system that still exist in England.
earl grey

Small Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »

I don't think it will happen as long as prince Philip is alive.
His racist remarks are cringeworthy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: