Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would Harry be allowed to marry a Woman of Colour  (Read 113898 times)
DebbieB

Humongous Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Debbers and Bruners. (Thanks Pomme)

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: December 02, 2016, 05:46:58 AM »

This is so bizarre for an American. We have a church or justice of the peace wedding ( civil) but both are legal.
So there only the civil union counts?

Both ceremonies are legal in the UK, Cordtx. As a divorcee, When I remarried the present Mr B, 10 years ago, it was not in church. Yet it is legal. My first marriage was a church wedding and that was also legal. Hope that helps.

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her best— you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: December 02, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »

Thanks, Ms B!

There's a feeling I get when I look to the West....and my Spirit is crying for leaving
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: December 02, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »

Beer

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her best— you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
Olya

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: December 07, 2016, 01:36:17 PM »

This is so bizarre for an American. We have a church or justice of the peace wedding ( civil) but both are legal.

It depends on the country. A while ago I wrote sth similar and got a bit raked over hot coals and maybe rightly so, because I don't know the law of various countries, but in most countries church weddings count only in the church and are lawfully not acknowledged, because of the seperation of state and church/ religion. As LDJJ above notes, that's what Albert & Charlene had to do and Rainier & Grace before them and many other royals too of various other countries. So in some few countries a church wedding might be enough, because appropriate papers will be signed and are acknowledged, but in many the church part is basically for the couple and church only and has no legal bearing.
In some cases when royals marry a church wedding will be legally binding, even though that is generally not the case for other citizens, often a legal representative is then in the back room and papers are signed, away from everyone with only the couple, minister, legal person.
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: December 07, 2016, 08:25:31 PM »

It depends on the country. A while ago I wrote sth similar and got a bit raked over hot coals and maybe rightly so, because I don't know the law of various countries, but in most countries church weddings count only in the church and are lawfully not acknowledged, because of the seperation of state and church/ religion. As LDJJ above notes, that's what Albert & Charlene had to do and Rainier & Grace before them and many other royals too of various other countries. So in some few countries a church wedding might be enough, because appropriate papers will be signed and are acknowledged, but in many the church part is basically for the couple and church only and has no legal bearing.
In some cases when royals marry a church wedding will be legally binding, even though that is generally not the case for other citizens, often a legal representative is then in the back room and papers are signed, away from everyone with only the couple, minister, legal person.

We were discussing the legality in the UK, Olya. Both are legally binding.

Hester
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Sudan Sudan

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: December 08, 2016, 08:49:39 AM »

We were discussing the legality in the UK, Olya. Both are legally binding.

Yep and legally binding without this "lawyer in the back room" nonsense!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: