Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duchy of Cornwall must go.  (Read 5161 times)
SeenItAllBefore

Medium Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Doubtful Kitteh does not believe the hype.

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:04:45 AM »

I've made a few comments here about the Duchy of Cornwall recently, then today I found this press release, which encapsulates my thinking perfectly:

http://www.republic.org.uk/updates/?p=553

Pass the Duchy: New campaign launched calling for abolition of Duchy of Cornwall

A new campaign calling for the Duchy of Cornwall to be abolished and for the landed estate to brought fully under public ownership was launched today by Republic, the anti-monarchy pressure group. Republic described the historical arrangement which sees the Duchy’s profits paid directly to Prince Charles as “arcane, archaic and unfair”, adding that the deal deprived the treasury of tens of millions every year.

Contrary to popular belief the Duchy of Cornwall is not the personal property of Prince Charles or the royal family.

The Duchy – created in the fourteenth century – now consists of more than fifty thousand hectares of land in 23 counties, mostly in the south-west of England. Its surplus revenue, which last year amounted to £17.8m, is paid to Prince Charles in his capacity as Duke of Cornwall.

Republic believes that the Duchy’s revenue, like that of the Crown Estate, should be paid to the Treasury to fund public services.

Although Charles voluntarily pays some tax on this income, he offsets a range of “business expenses” including butlers, valets, chefs, personal dressers and chauffeurs, resulting in further losses to the Treasury.

As well as providing Charles with a multi-million pound income, the Duchy gives the heir to the throne a unique range of powers – including the right to veto legislation which may affect his private interests.

The campaign calls for stewardship of the estate’s land and property to be transferred to the Crown Estate or a separate board of fully accountable commissioners, with its net profit passing directly to the Treasury for the benefit of all taxpayers.

Last year a tribunal judge ruled that the Duchy should be considered a public authority and not a private estate, after it refused to disclose environmental information.

Launching the campaign, Republic’s chief executive Graham Smith said:

“It is simply absurd that taxpayers lose out on many millions of pounds each year to fund one very privileged man. The Duchy belongs to the nation, not Charles Windsor, and its profits should support our public services.”

“Charles, and any future heir to throne, doesn’t need tens of millions each year to carry out his very undemanding duties. That money should be funding our schools, our hospitals and our armed forces. The current arrangement is arcane, archaic and unfair – it has to end.”

“If the government believes there is a job for Prince Charles to do then they must fund him in the usual manner as they would with any other public official.”

“It is a principle of democracy that all citizens are treated equally in law and by parliament. So it’s wrong that one man should personally profit from a property portfolio that is the property of the nation as a whole. The benefits must be shared by the nation.”

Details of the new campaign will be posted on this website over the coming weeks and events will be organised in Cornwall and elsewhere.

Posted on: 27 Jun 2012

Thinking

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right." Thomas Paine
luvcharles

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:08:46 AM »

And what about the Duchy of Lancaster - which provides the private income of The Queen - that is never under scrutiny but has the same rights - yes The Queen has the right to veto legislation that affects her holdings as Duke of Lancaster, just as Charles has that right as Duke of Cornwall but Charles is criticised for that but The Queen isn't - totally unfair.

RoyalDish.com
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:08:46 AM »

getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:20:08 AM »

Duke of Cornwall but Charles is criticised for that but The Queen isn't - totally unfair. [/quote]

Totally agree. We'll take both properties back, thx!  Thumb up Yes

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
SeenItAllBefore

Medium Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Doubtful Kitteh does not believe the hype.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:46 AM »

Duke of Cornwall but Charles is criticised for that but The Queen isn't - totally unfair.

Totally agree. We'll take both properties back, thx!  Thumb up Yes

G Smiley
[/quote]

Champagne
Cheers, getafix.  My thoughts exactly.  For readers interested in Republic's views on Lancaster, they'll need to go to their website, where it is mentioned several times.

The concept of fairness is at the heart of Republic's arguments.

Cool

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right." Thomas Paine
rogue

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:37:41 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news...nwall-19769503?print=true

http://www.independent.co...rnish-estate-8190493.html

http://us1.campaign-archi...e6a2f5b&id=eeefcfd40f

http://www.republic.org.uk/updates/?p=655

just me
Banned
Big Member

India India

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »

wow ,when i see this i really believe that monarchy will end with william and kate. even with 60 plus years of hard work and dedication of queen ,doe ,charles ,anne etc, people are questioning  their income and lands ,what will happen when i want to be normal heir will become pow? how on earth william and kate will convince people that they deserve this and many more perks of being a royal?  i don't really see a future for brf with these two .
Cloaked

Humongous Member

Fiji Fiji

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 07:53:08 PM »

As a non republican, I don't agree with the disbanding of the Duchy of Cornwall.
Both Duchies serve their purpose.
I think that they are a brilliant way for the Monarchy to fund itself.  They are behaving lawfully and I don't agree with changing the laws to veto how they are run.
The British Royal Family are lucky to have these entities set up for them generations ago.  Thumb up
Clara
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »

The last sentence in the Independent article says it all:

"The Duchy has been run like this since 1337 and I don't think we'll be saying anymore than that," a spokesman said.
 Whistle Blink

Maybe the UK should be run exactly like it was run in 1337 

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:58:48 PM »

The last sentence in the Independent article says it all:

"The Duchy has been run like this since 1337 and I don't think we'll be saying anymore than that," a spokesman said.
 Whistle Blink

Maybe the UK should be run exactly like it was run in 1337 

That's a stupid and invalid argument.  That argument has been used in the past to justify slavery, prohibition of women's rights, bans on interracial dating, etc.  The spokesperson who said that needs to take a class in basic rhetoric.  He's failing at his job by making stupid statements like that. Thumb down

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
Clara
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 08:02:47 PM »

On the contrary, it's a great argument for the people who want to abolish the Duchy. 

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »

On the contrary, it's a great argument for the people who want to abolish the Duchy. 

Good point! Thumb up Star 

Clara
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 08:11:09 PM »

Thanks pixie  Smiley Star Something tells me that this person won't be making more comments to the press  Wink

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »

Thanks pixie  Smiley Star Something tells me that this person won't be making more comments to the press  Wink

Not unless they go back to school and learn how to form basic arguments Beer

My13

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »

If they change the succession law but not the laws of the Duchy, and William has a girl then a boy, then the girl will get the throne but the boy will get the millions of pounds each year. Thumb down
Clara
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 08:26:01 PM »

More than £1 million has passed to the Prince of Wales’s Duchy of Cornwall estate in the last six years from people who died without making a will or having an heir, latest accounts show.

Under powers dating back to medieval times, the Duchy is entitled to all unclaimed property and estates left when someone dies in Cornwall, in an arrangement known as bona vacantia.
In the last financial year alone, £552,000 passed to the Duchy under the ancient law, which was put in place when the Duchy was created by Edward III in 1337 for his son and heir, Edward, the Black Prince.
The Prince of Wales does not, however, keep any of the money; instead it is distributed in charitable donations through the Duke of Cornwall’s Benevolent Fund, with a small amount kept in reserve for any future claims on unclaimed estates.
In most of Britain, the estates of people who die without making a will, and who have no obvious heirs, go to the Government.
But because Cornwall is owned by the Prince of Wales, unclaimed estates go to the Duchy, which has been the personal possession of the eldest son of the sovereign since the Charter of Edward III.

Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.u...ince-Charless-estate.html

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: