Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Baudouin of The Belgians (1930-1993)  (Read 38497 times)
Makreel

Small Member

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »

Baudouin (Dutch: Boudewijn Albert Karel Leopold Axel Marie Gustaaf van België, French: Baudouin Albert Charles Léopold Axel Marie Gustave de Belgique; 7 September 1930 – 31 July 1993) reigned as King of the Belgians, following his father's abdication, from 1951 until his death in 1993. He was the eldest son of King Leopold III (1901–83) and his first wife, Princess Astrid of Sweden (1905–35). Having had no children, the crown passed on to his brother, Albert II of Belgium, following his death. He is the first cousin of King Harald V of Norway, Princess Astrid of Norway, and Princess Ragnhild of Norway.

Ascent to the throne
 Baudouin was born in Stuyvenberg Castle, near Laeken, Brussels, in Belgium, in 1930, the son of Prince Leopold, the Duke of Brabant and his wife, Astrid of Sweden. His father became King of the Belgians, as Leopold III, in 1934. Baudouin's mother died in 1935.

Part of Leopold III's unpopularity was the result of a second marriage in 1941 to Mary Lilian Baels, an English-born Belgian commoner, later known as Princess de Réthy. More controversial had been Leopold's decision to surrender to Nazi Germany during World War II, when Belgium was invaded in 1940; many Belgians questioned his loyalties, but a commission of inquiry exonerated him of treason after World War II. Though reinstated in a plebiscite, the controversy surrounding Leopold led to his abdication.

King Leopold III requested the Belgian Government and the Parliament to approve a law delegating his royal powers to his son, Prince Baudouin, who took the constitutional oath before the United Chambers of the Belgian Parliament as Prince Royal on 11 August 1950. He ascended the throne and became the fifth King of the Belgians upon taking the constitutional oath on 17 July 1951, one day following his father's abdication.

The Congolese called the young king Mwana Kitoko ("beautiful boy").

Marriage
On 15 December 1960, Baudouin was married in Brussels to Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón. The King and Queen had no children; all of the Queen's five pregnancies ended in miscarriage.

Religious influences
Baudouin was a devout Roman Catholic. Through the influence of Leo Cardinal Suenens, Baudouin participated in the growing Catholic Charismatic Renewal and regularly went on pilgrimages to the French shrine of Paray-le-Monial.

In 1990, when a law submitted by Roger Lallemand and Lucienne Herman-Michielsens, liberalising Belgium's abortion laws, was approved by Parliament, he refused to give Royal Assent to the bill. This was unprecedented; although Baudoin was nominally Belgium's chief executive, Royal Assent has long been a formality (as is the case in most constitutional and popular monarchies). However, due to his religious convictions, Baudouin asked the Government to declare him temporarily unable to reign so that he could avoid signing the measure into law.[3] The Government under Wilfried Martens complied with his request on 4 April 1990. According to the provisions of the Belgian Constitution, in the event the King is temporarily unable to reign, the Government as a whole fulfills the role of Head of State. All members of the Government signed the bill, and the next day (5 April 1990) the Government declared that Baudouin was capable of reigning again.

Death, succession, and legacy
 Baudouin reigned for 42 years. He died of heart failure on 31 July 1993 in the Villa Astrida in Motril, in the south of Spain. His death was unexpected, and sent much of Belgium into a period of deep mourning. Within hours the grids of the Royal Palace were covered with flowers that people spontaneously brought. A viewing of the body was organised at the Royal Palace in central Brussels; 500,000 people turned up to pay their respects. Many waited in line up to 14 hours in sweltering heat to get to see their King one last time. Queen Elizabeth II attended the funeral in person; by tradition the British monarch attends only those funerals which are of close family members (they were only third cousins) or such politicians as prime ministers who die while in office.

King Baudouin was interred in the royal vault at the Church of Our Lady of Laeken, Brussels, Belgium. He was succeeded by his younger brother, who became King Albert II.

(Wikipedia)

Makreel

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »

Movieclip of the entire funeral of King Boudouin

http://www.youtube.com/wa...feature=player_detailpage
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »

Thank you for starting this thread, Makreel Star  I really know nothing about him and am looking forward to learning more Yes
Makreel

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »

King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of Belgium in 1964.

King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of Belgium arrive at the Belgium Embassy for a banquet, 1963.

President Nixon and Mrs. Nixon flank Belgium's King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola inside the White house here May 20 1969.

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:23:48 PM »

The pic of them in 1964 was in Greece at the wedding of King Constantine and Princess Anne-Marie.

Why did Fabiola never wear orders?   Thinking

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
Schockobaerin

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:06:54 PM »

King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of Belgium in 1964.

King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of Belgium arrive at the Belgium Embassy for a banquet, 1963.

President Nixon and Mrs. Nixon flank Belgium's King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola inside the White house here May 20 1969.

In the first photo he looked really handsome, but for me the most atractive part of him, was his love and fidelity to his wife, awesome man
babalux

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:52:09 PM »

Starting at 1:28:50 the most powerful thing I have ever witnessed during royal events happened. There's this huge audience of emperors, kings, queens, presidents and millions of tv viewers all thinking they are part of a traditional funeral and then they are confronted with a crying woman who was a victim of human trafficking and forced prostitution mourning a king she called her friend.
Unfortunately the youtube video is dubbed but here's the complete text:
Prostitute's homage to caring King
A FORMER prostitute paid an emotional homage to King Baudouin at the funeral Mass. One of a handful of people chosen to deliver orations, Luz Oral, a Filipino, praised the King for his fight against the international sex trade. She stood in silence as a writer, Chris de Stoop, read aloud the words she had written. Ms Oral had met the King when he paid a highly-publicised visit to a brothel in Antwerp, and De Stoop said both the King and Queen had wanted her to address the funeral. This was her homage:
Now my friend passed away, who else can help us? I come from Manila. My family is very poor. I was promised a nice job in Europe. But Belgian men put us in a sex club. Belgian men put us in prostitution. We cried and we refused. But nobody could help us. We were forced. We were treated like slaves. When I could run away, I was arrested by police. I had many problems. Last year the King came to see us in Antwerp. We were five girls there. We cried again but it was different tears. The King was holding my arm. He listened to me. Only the King listened to us. He was shocked. There are too many victims here. From Manila. From Bangkok. From Santo Domingo. From Budapest. From eastern Europe. All looking for a better life in the West. All pushed in prostitution. The King was fighting against this sex trade. He was standing up for us. He was a real king. I called him my friend.

http://www.independent.co...-caring-king-1459887.html
I still remember the tears rolling down my cheeks. All this talk of giving victims a voice, this time it was so painfully true.
tgb

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:33 AM »

Starting at 1:28:50 the most powerful thing I have ever witnessed during royal events happened. There's this huge audience of emperors, kings, queens, presidents and millions of tv viewers all thinking they are part of a traditional funeral and then they are confronted with a crying woman who was a victim of human trafficking and forced prostitution mourning a king she called her friend.
A FORMER prostitute paid an emotional homage to King Baudouin at the funeral Mass. One of a handful of people chosen to deliver orations, Luz Oral, a Filipino, praised the King for his fight against the international sex trade. She stood in silence as a writer, Chris de Stoop, read aloud the words she had written. Ms Oral had met the King when he paid a highly-publicised visit to a brothel in Antwerp, and De Stoop said both the King and Queen had wanted her to address the funeral. This was her homage:
Now my friend passed away, who else can help us? I come from Manila. My family is very poor. I was promised a nice job in Europe. But Belgian men put us in a sex club. Belgian men put us in prostitution. We cried and we refused. But nobody could help us. We were forced. We were treated like slaves. When I could run away, I was arrested by police. I had many problems. Last year the King came to see us in Antwerp. We were five girls there. We cried again but it was different tears. The King was holding my arm. He listened to me. Only the King listened to us. He was shocked. There are too many victims here. From Manila. From Bangkok. From Santo Domingo. From Budapest. From eastern Europe. All looking for a better life in the West. All pushed in prostitution. The King was fighting against this sex trade. He was standing up for us. He was a real king. I called him my friend.

I still remember the tears rolling down my cheeks. All this talk of giving victims a voice, this time it was so painfully true.

Incredible!

Shocking to see QEII herself at the funeral.
CindyM

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:46:45 AM »

Thanks for the full text.  That was really touching.  King Baudouin seemed to be a good monarch.  I always found him to be more handsome than Albert.  I don't know much about him, but I loved his relationship w/ Fabiola.  They seemed really in love with each other.
Kiki LaShrewd

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »

Very interesting info Makreel

Babalux thanks for the full text from the screech at his funeral Cry
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »

These 2 look like a genuine love match
Makreel

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »

Incredible!

Shocking to see QEII herself at the funeral.

I was her first state funeral since the dead of Winston Churchill in 1965. It was the first time that the Japanse Emperor left his country for a state funeral.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:21:24 PM »

It was her first state funeral since the dead of Winston Churchill in 1965. It was the first time that the Japanse Emperor left his country for a state funeral.
Makreel, AFAIK, his was the only other monarch's funeral that QEII has ever attended (aside from her father's, of course) since becoming Queen. Also very interesting about Akihito.

Can you (or anyone) tell us why they attended Baudouin's funeral, when they don't attend the funerals of any other monarchs?
tgb

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 11:21:06 PM »

According to an old 1993 wire report I found on Google, Buckingham Palace said at the time QEII "decided to break with tradition as a mark of respect to Baudouin."

editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »

According to an old 1993 wire report I found on Google, Buckingham Palace said at the time QEII "decided to break with tradition as a mark of respect to Baudouin."

Thank you, tgb. But my question remains: WHY would she break with tradition (which she never does) for Baudouin? I'm not implying anything here. But this is something she never, ever did, either before he died, or after. What made him special?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: