Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Baudouin of The Belgians (1930-1993)  (Read 37702 times)
CindyM

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »

According to an old 1993 wire report I found on Google, Buckingham Palace said at the time QEII "decided to break with tradition as a mark of respect to Baudouin."

Thank you, tgb. But my question remains: WHY would she break with tradition (which she never does) for Baudouin? I'm not implying anything here. But this is something she never, ever did, either before he died, or after. What made him special?

I remember reading I think in the Benelux MB, that QEII was in the area (not sure if for vacation or something else) and it would have been seen as rude to send in another RF member to the funeral if she was close by to attend it.
babalux

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »

According to an old 1993 wire report I found on Google, Buckingham Palace said at the time QEII "decided to break with tradition as a mark of respect to Baudouin."

Thank you, tgb. But my question remains: WHY would she break with tradition (which she never does) for Baudouin? I'm not implying anything here. But this is something she never, ever did, either before he died, or after. What made him special?

I remember reading I think in the Benelux MB, that QEII was in the area (not sure if for vacation or something else) and it would have been seen as rude to send in another RF member to the funeral if she was close by to attend it.
That's what I have read in different places too. QEII would have really looked bad if she hadn't interrupted her holiday at Balmoral to attend the funeral. Baudouin was the longest reigning monarch in Europe and ascended the throne before her. Also the whole situation was very emotional and made a huge impression on everyone. The whole country was in mourning and 500.000 people were queuing in front of the palace to great the king`s body. Not even QEII was able to ignore that it seems.

babalux

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »

It was her first state funeral since the dead of Winston Churchill in 1965. It was the first time that the Japanse Emperor left his country for a state funeral.
Makreel, AFAIK, his was the only other monarch's funeral that QEII has ever attended (aside from her father's, of course) since becoming Queen. Also very interesting about Akihito.

Can you (or anyone) tell us why they attended Baudouin's funeral, when they don't attend the funerals of any other monarchs?
Akihito and Baudouin were close friends. The royalement blog has an excellent summary, including pics of private visits
http://royalementblog.blo...its-entre-la-famille.html
And in one of the latest documentaries on Baudouin the former Belgian minister Claes shared an anecdote which explains a lot.
Baudouin paid an official visit to Japan and all of sudden emperor Akihito dropped into the Belgian embassy to pay him a private visit. Something that never happened before and there was consternation in diplomatic circles, especially on the Japanese side. Minister Claes was puzzled as well and Baudouin told him that he acted as messenger of love for Akihito and Michiko. Michiko was sent off to Europe to discourage the couple and to end the relationship and no diplomat was willing to forward Akihito's letters to Michiko. Akihito then asked Baudouin to help him and so the love letters of A and M were exchanged via the unsuspicious Belgian king. Baudouin also had contact with Akihito's parents and asked them to agree to the marriage. It was said that Akihito and Michiko are forever grateful for these favours.
tgb

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »

I would guess it is because he was so devout and upstanding, perhaps QEII not only felt some sort of kinship over religious steadfastness but was also assured her appearance (and the approval it applies) would not in any way reflect poorly on her or Britain. I'm sure she especially esteemed him, not as a slight to anyone else, but because he was right up her alley. She had already knighted him in the Order of the Garter, so it seems she knew him fairly well.

And I would also guess it's in part because Baudouin reigned for 41 years and had ascended just one year before her in 1951, so they were really and truly peers. He was a king as long as she was a queen.

Gustaf died in 1972 but reportedly cheated on his first British wife, who was related to QEII, so no respect for him, apparently.  Julianna hadn't been a reigning queen for 24 years when she died. No way QEII would tie herself to the circus that is Monaco for Ranier's funeral. And I can't see her breaking tradition for anyone outside of Europe.

ETA: Whoops! Just saw the responses above about her being in the vicinity. That too, although I suspect she still wouldn't done it for just anyone.  Secret
Kiki LaShrewd

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 07:58:50 AM »

It is especially interesting that Liz attended...When she became Queen there were of Baodouin being unhappy with the British family leading to him to attending George's funeral or Liz's coronation. No clue if there was any truth to the perceived tension.
winterrose

Baby Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »

It is especially interesting that Liz attended...When she became Queen there were of Baodouin being unhappy with the British family leading to him to attending George's funeral or Liz's coronation. No clue if there was any truth to the perceived tension.

There has been speculation about why Baudouin didn't attend George Vi's funeral.  He sent his brother to the funeral and coronation as well (but kings and queens don't usually attend coronations, they usually send their heirs or a representative).  I think the official reason for why Baudouin didn't attend the funeral was because it believed that a head of state's first visit to another country must be official, and it couldn't be at a funeral.  The unofficial snub story is that Baudouin's father Leopold was still mad at the treatment of the British government he received during the Second World War (Churchill was critical of his surrendering to the Germans) that he encourage Baudouin to snub the British by refusing to go the funeral. 
Makreel

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »

Foreign royals who attended the funeral

Austria - Archduke Otto and Achduchess Regina, Archduke Robert and Archduchess Margarita (Princess of Italy); Archduke Karl Ludwig and Archduchess Yolanda (Princess of Ligne), Archduke Karl Christian and Archduchess Marie Astrid, Archduke Rodolf and Archduchess Anne Gabrielle (Princess of Wrede)
Bavaria - Prince Albert, Prince Franz, Prince Max Emanuel and Princess Elisabeth
Bonaparte - Prince Louis
Two Sicilies and Bourbon - Prince Carlos
Bourbon-Parma - Prince Carlos Hugo, Prince Carlos and Princess Maria Carolina
Brunei - Prince Sahib ul-Himmah
Bulgaria - King Simeon II
Denmark - Queen Margrethe and Prince Hendrik
France - Prince Henry and Princess Isabelle
Great Britain - Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philipp
Greece - King Konstantinos II and Queen Anne-Marie
Iran - Empress Farah Diba
Italy - Queen Maria-Jose, Vittorio Emanuel Crown Prince and Crown Princess Marina, Prince Emmanuel-Filiberto, Princess Maria Pia, Maria Gabriella, Maria Beatrice and Rafael Reyna, Prince Amedeo and Princess Silvia
Japan - Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko
Jordan - Hassan Crown Prince and Crown Princess Sarvath
Liechtenstein - Prince Hans-Adam II and Princess Marie, Prince Nikolaus and Princess Margarete and Princess Nora
Luxembourg - Grand Duke Jean I and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte, Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Princess Guillaume and Jean and Hélène, Earl and Countess of Nassau
Morocco - Crown Prince Mohammed
Monaco - Prince Rainier III and Hereditary Prince Albert
Nepal - Crown Prince Dipendra and Prince Gyanendra
Netherlands - Queen Beatrix and Prince Willem-Alexander
Norway - King Harald V and Queen Sonja
Portugal - Infante Duarte
Romania - King Mihai I and Queen Anna
Russia - Grand-Duchess Maria
Spain - King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofia
Sweden - King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia
Thailand - Vajralongkorn Crown Prince and Princess Maha Sirindhorn
Württemberg - HRH Duke Karl
Yugoslavia - HRH Prince Dimitri
Makreel

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »

After the king's heart operation
lellobeetle

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »

This thread is incomplete without some pics of one of the most romantic weddings.

That gorgeous Balenciaga dress.

The thing that makes him so sex in my opinion is how he always had a hand on Fabiola. I never saw two people who smiled at each other or radiated happiness more than these two.

Simply tragic he died so young.

lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »

Wedding news reel in English.

http://www.youtube.com/wa...WvjG6QuNM5SJvk9uIIJZ8gWI8

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »

Probably a stupid question, but if QEII was vacationing in Balmoral, why would that make her "in the area" of Brussels when the funeral took place? Huh?
I do think too, that for QEII Baudouin was likely the only real royal pal. All other current (and now some former) monarchs are a lot younger than QEII (*1926) Baudouin (*1930), their weddings and children came almost 20 years after she got married and had her first born, their accessions to their thrones decades later, she might even feel like a different generation.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »

So I was digging through some news announcements from Belgium TV when Baudouin died. There is the most gut wrenching shot of Fabiola being supported by Philippe, but leaning heavily on Josephine Charlotte as she just sobs watching her beloved Baudouin's coffin removed from the plane from Spain. It made me break up so bad.

She was so strong during the services, but you can see she almost collapses in grief. My heart is breaking for her. He was so young.

https://www.youtube.com/w...ture=youtube_gdata_player

lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »

Picture for those interested:

Royal Di

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2013, 09:30:56 PM »

Picture for those interested:

I've always loved this picture for the way it shows how the Belgium royal family came together at the time of Baudouin's death.  I admire the way Philippe supported his aunt despite the fact that Baudouin's death was devastating for him as well.  It was assumed that Prince Philippe would take the throne as he had been groomed by Baudouin to be the next king.  At the government's urging, Prince Albert of Liege did not renounce his right to the throne and pass it to his son, as expected.  This was a great surprise and I can remember being stunned by the announcement.

In this photograph, they are in Belgium waiting for Baudouin's coffin to come off the plane. King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia accompanied Fabiola to the airport in Granada and watched as the plane took off for Belgium. The two couples were close and I was so glad that Fabiola had their support.  The prime minister of Belgium flew to Spain and accompanied Queen Fabiola and the body of King Baudouin back to Belgium.

FYI, from left Margaretha of Luxembourg; Lorenz; Grand Duke Jean; Astrid; Paola; Albert; Josephine-Charlotte; Fabiola, Laurent, Philippe
lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 10:52:46 AM »

Placeholder

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: