Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Baudouin of The Belgians (1930-1993)  (Read 37703 times)
Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Aquamarine for March

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »

My apologies if this video has been already posted : The whole funeral ceremony of King Baudoin at the Cathedral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj_QMeLBmIo

This is the first time I watch it and I am quite 'happily' surprised by the presence of Queen Elizabeth II with her husband and also both the Emperor and Empress of Japan! In my memories only Empress Michiko attended, as a very close friend of Queen Fabiola.
And the royal guests looks so young! Of course it was in 1993...

A very emotional service.
lellobeetle

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2016, 04:03:39 PM »

Twenty-three years ago today...the world and, in particular, the people of Belgium lost an extraordinary servant King. Today marks the twenty-third anniversary of the shockingly early passing of King Baudouin I of the Belgians on 31 July 1993. The King died of a massive heart attack while on vacation at the royal couple's compound, Villa Astrida, in Motril, Southern Spain.  Sad

Here is a moving 8 minute clip of some of the royalty and world dignitaries highlights from his funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS8fmuKNObs

lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 02:38:35 AM »

Valentin Dupont in his Royalement Blog wrote about an interview in 1971 between King Baudouin and Mrs Margit Fjellman , Swedish Journalist.

English Translation

CyrilSebastian

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2017, 11:25:18 PM »

Baudouin's coronation in 1951     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHk5ilS9X34
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2017, 11:50:27 PM »

I read somewhere that Baudouin was the last living member of something called ``The Supreme Order of Christ,'' which apparently was an order of chivalry awarded by the Pope. Not something I could see Francis doing these days.

Anyway, I know he was a very devout Catholic and that he and the government had to work out a very complicated arrangement so that a liberalized abortion law could go into effect without his actually having to sign it, given his profound objection to abortion.

So I wonder how he would fare in 2017, when so much has changed throughout Europe with respect to hot-button issues relating to sexual morality? And what would it have done to him when some of the more hideous stories of Belgian atrocities in the Congo came to light? I often found myself thinking of him when I read ``The Nun's Story,'' a large portion of which deals with a Belgian nun in the Congo during the colonial days. Neither Belgium nor the church came off looking particularly good or enlightened.

So would a Baudouin alive today be seen as a man of conscience or as a wilful troglodyte? 
Ellie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2017, 12:03:11 AM »

Personally I'd consider himself a man of moral conscience and of deep faith. I admire that in people.

Isn't the abortion story for Hans Adam of Liechtenstein? Not sure about Baudouin but it wouldn't surprise me (were I a monarch I would be unable to sign a law such as that myself), I know they expanded powers of the prince of Liechtenstein as well in the last 10 or so years.
TexasBear

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2017, 01:55:25 AM »

I read somewhere that Baudouin was the last living member of something called ``The Supreme Order of Christ,'' which apparently was an order of chivalry awarded by the Pope. Not something I could see Francis doing these days.

Wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/...i/Supreme_Order_of_Christ. The portion regarding Baudoin doesn't have a source...so....:shrug:
Celia

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2017, 08:26:52 PM »

No, the abortion story was about Baudouin.  I remember when it happened.  Henri of Luxembourg went through a similar legal situation a few years ago, and that's when the government removed the last of his legislative powers.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: