Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If the monarchy is dissolved, what will Will and Kate do?  (Read 15089 times)
scworldtraveler
Banned
Big Member

United States United States

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »

ah, so! thanks Jonathan, I didn't see that error when I re-read my post. appreciated Star

Future Crayon

Humongous Member

Iceland Iceland

Too-wit-too-whom?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »

Would I like Britain to dissolve the monarchy? Yes. Do I think it's likely? No.

What I think is more likely is other members of the Commonwealth rejecting the monarchy as irrelevant and wanting to be able to choose their own head of state. If several major Commonwealth countries went that way (Australia, Canada) then other would follow.

How would W & K, and indeed Charles and Cam) cope as members of a reduced monarchy with waning influence and increased scrutiny of finances? Quite badly, I think.

I've started blogging about art... https://unhelpfulgalleryguide.wordpress.com/

eagle

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »

What I think is more likely is other members of the Commonwealth rejecting the monarchy as irrelevant and wanting to be able to choose their own head of state. If several major Commonwealth countries went that way (Australia, Canada) then other would follow.

How would W & K, and indeed Charles and Cam) cope as members of a reduced monarchy with waning influence and increased scrutiny of finances? Quite badly, I think.

This is a great scenario to imagine!

Wills would probably have to clock in more hours at his SAR job. Kate would probably go running to Bucklebury where her family would be furious that after all the trouble taken, she would never be queen. I doubt their marriage would last if they were no longer royal.
Charles might burst a blood vessel. All that waiting and nothing! The Crown Estates would be open to the public who would visit to see how and where the Royals used to live and their collections. Income from the Duchy of Cornwall would go towards healthcare or education, I suppose. Andy would try to get his job back as a trade ambassador. Edward would try to go on reality TV (sequel to It's A Royal Knockabout). Fergie, now that the confidentiality clause won't apply (because it's between the DoY and her, and there's no more duchy of York?) will spill every little secret that she was privy to. Sophie will wear more look-at-me clothes.
Anne would open a riding school with Zara. They'll do very well. Or maybe she'll work on charities. Either way, I see Anne coping better than the others.
leatherface

Large Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »

Kate is filing for divorce and writing a tell-all book with her loathsome mother.
whimsicalwriter
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »

Kate is filing for divorce and writing a tell-all book with her loathsome mother.
Thumb up I could easily see that happening if Will was suddenly no longer the future king
TheQueenBee

Medium Member

Australia Australia

'Look! I finally got it!'

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »

well to be fair, i think people naturally gravitate towards their personal home countries, or a country they feel a part of. i have many friends who came here to the us from say france, or south africa, or even china, and it doesn't bother me they chant for ole' glory.
but perhaps you feel as royals they should be neutral in this area? i can see that to a degree...

It's perhaps a little different when these people are in line to be your head of state.  Your top dog.  And they look sad and on the verge of tears when you do good.

A random wanting to cheer for their own country is one thing.  I expect my head of state (or anyone who wants to be) to represent my nation.

Star Star

I wouldn't give two hoots if Princess Victoria looked bummed an Australian beat a Swede or if Willem Alexander was disappointed a Dutch athlete lost to an Australian, to give an example. Victoria or Willem Alexander are not going to be the head of state of Australia. But if Charlie or Willy was looking like someone just ran over their cat because an Australian won something, I'd be a bit miffed because as it stands, Charlie and Willy are right now going to be the head of state of Australia.

I want an Australian as a head of state of Australia after QEII passes. It's time.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:37:59 PM by TheQueenBee » Logged

Emily
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 12:25:46 PM »

It might happen - it's all about the war of the generations. Telegraph has just done a poll on the monarchy, and while it is broadly favourable, there was this gem at the end:

http://www.telegraph.co.u...time-high-poll-shows.html

More than half the 18-24 age group (56 per cent) disagrees that the Royal family is worth the cost, the highest figure in any age group. By contrast almost six in 10 of those (59 per cent) aged 65 and above agrees that it is value for money.

Once those over 65's pass, we'll be looking at a different landscape. The royals might survive - but in a cut-down curtailed form.
only God will judge me
Banned
Muted
Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 02:20:45 PM »

Didn't Australia already successfully voted to abolish monarchy but couldn't agree how the new head of state will be elected and that's the sole reason Queen is still head of state?
Grafin Lavendel
Banned
Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »

I believe the queen has become a symbol of monachism in europe than no other. How ever issues of divorce and homosexuality which dave vows to push around the world will break the common wealth based on the traditionalists and mordernist. Many small commonwealth countries are not going to buy the idea of church of england who is divorced, and romoured to be closet gay. Charles will not be an authority for conservative morals which are sweeping the old colonial states. They are joining up with china to promote communist market economy which believes in the traditional family values and community.
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »

Well Kate will do what she always has done and that is live off her parents.
Sondra Finchley

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »

That poll is interesting and suggests to me that the younger group doesn't feel a connection to the royal family.  The elder group may have seen QE2 ascend or saw her grow and have her family back when there was still a consideration that the royals were the standard.  Middle agers perhaps remember the Diana years and the glamor.  But what about the younger group?  Wills and Kate, who would be their contemporaries similar to how QE2 was with her generation, are not seen out and about helping people or bringing visibility to causes, or representing behavior that would bring communities and people together.  Instead they hide behind press bans and legal action, showing up in fancy clothes for premiers and fun things, but then disappear again, not to be seen for weeks on end.  Neither of them had to go through the trials that younger folks go through now with student loans and finding a job and working hard to establish themselves.  Nor do they appear to work hard at what they are supposed to be doing with their rank and privilege, so really, why would the younger generation feel affinity for the RF?  The younger generation is far out of touch with their contemporaries, and that should be of concern to Charles and his court.

ScottishRose
Banned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Just call me the real rebel without a cause

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »

The RF would go from very rich public figures, to very rich private citizens. They would still own their huge estates, and have the money and private jewels they have accumulated. They'd have to give up living at Buckingham and other state owned palaces, and the crown jewels, but the rest would remain. William and Harry could likely play off their notoriety, and become the next reality stars.
StephanieDesiree

Big Member

I look good, but I am such a bitch.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »

The royal family own the two wealthiest royal duchies in their own right, as private citizens. Most everything else would revert back to the nation.  But Lancaster and Cornwall go with the Windsors. 

I believe Sandringham House and Balmoral Castle are also private property of HM, as they were purchased by Queen Victoria, using her private purse. 

But, if any public funds are being used to run or maintain these homes, that would stop. And if the royals receive any tax breaks for 'being royal'....that stops. And the public security compensation stops.

The Duchy of Lancaster is the personal property of Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor and was valued at £348 million in 2010.

The Duchy of Cornwall is the personal property of Charles Philip Arthur George Mountbatten-Windsor and was valued at £728 million in 2011.

Over £1 billion gross worth?  I think everyone would be just fine.

(Just the thought of the Windsors having to pay tax on this huge chunk of money and castles would mean they would probably have to sell one or both castles)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 06:00:36 PM by StephanieDesiree » Logged

Pippa catches the scent of a wealthy bachelor.

Emily
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »

Here's another interesting poll - it's from IPSOS-Mori who have been asking the exact same question since 1984, so you get a sense of changes over time.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com...ItemId=2412&view=wide

Q Which two or three members of the Royal Family do you like the most?
(Unprompted answers)

Prince William is way more popular than Diana was in her heyday, which I wasn't expecting.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 06:13:59 PM »

It might happen - it's all about the war of the generations. Telegraph has just done a poll on the monarchy, and while it is broadly favourable, there was this gem at the end:

http://www.telegraph.co.u...time-high-poll-shows.html

More than half the 18-24 age group (56 per cent) disagrees that the Royal family is worth the cost, the highest figure in any age group. By contrast almost six in 10 of those (59 per cent) aged 65 and above agrees that it is value for money.

Once those over 65's pass, we'll be looking at a different landscape. The royals might survive - but in a cut-down curtailed form.
Speaking as someone from outside the Commonwealth I have to agree that once the Queen's reign comes to an end I predict that NZ and Aus will be the first to become republics. I see Canada doing the same but I see them doing it later. The smaller nations might remain with the monarch as HoS.   As for William and Kate they'd likely be at retirement age before the monarchy would dissolve in the UK. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: