Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Poll
Question: Should William step down and let Harry be the next Prince of Wales after Charles?
Yes, William is clearly not a good choice to be a future king. - 84 (58.7%)
Yes, but someone other than Harry should be PoW, who ______________? - 7 (4.9%)
No, William will grow into his future role. - 17 (11.9%)
No, the whole monarchy will collapse anyway before he becomes one. - 31 (21.7%)
Other, what? - 4 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 142

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Willy remove himself from the line of succession?  (Read 68286 times)
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Still not queen, Maz reacts

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »

At first, years ago I thought Wills would become a pretty ok king but my views have changed. Now I even think Chuck would be a better king than Willy! All this talk about not wanting to work, taking a "transitional year" and acting like a spoiled, snotty little brat while at the same time thinking he can be "normal" by trashing a couple of traditions is making me think it might be better if he just stepped down from the succession and handed the future title of Prince of Wales to Harry. I imagine King William would be the king never seen. He would not live in his palaces (unless he has to, for a day or two), instead he'd be hiding in some mansion left to him by his parents-in-law or taking ex tempore trips with Queen Waity. He would not bother showing himself to his people and would imagine being like one of them, living some sort of a gilded version of a "normal life". Sure, Harry has been acting childish too but if he mans up a little, I bet he would be a better king than Wills. Plus, it would be cool to have a King Henry again. Not enthusiastic over the idea of Queen Cressida (even if it sounds like a Shakespearean play) but then again, definitely not excited about the thought of Queen Waity either!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:09:28 PM by Suzerain » Logged
dbc

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 04:22:44 PM »

I think the whole BRF should step down but PW is a good start, he has shown nothing but ill will and laziness, if it wasn't for who his mummy was he would have been called out on his behavior long ago.
but like Norman Bates, PW finds it handy to keep his dead mother around, just mention Diana and people get misty and cut her son more slack.
Lady VB

Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »

I picked that he should step down and let Harry take his place.  It is so obvious that Willnot has no interest in his duties but is happy to accept any perk that comes his way.  He is a lazy, arrogant spoilt brat with an equally lazy arrogant spoilt wife.  I used to like Will but since marrying that parasite, he has gone down in my estimation and I don't think there is anything he can do to redeem himself because the damage has already been done and I think people are getting sick of his "mummy issues".   Of course it's sad that he lost his mother in such tragic circumstances but so have other people and they manage to carry on somehow and actually try to be better people so that their departed loved one would be proud.  I think Diana would be absolutely mortified at how her eldest has turned out and if she had been alive, Waity wouldn't have been able to even glance in his direction. 

Harry seems more aware of what his position involves and he truly looks genuine in his desire to help others and at least I can name one or two charities which he is patron of because he actually makes an effort.  I wouldn't have a clue what charities Waity and Baldy represent because they don't do anything that doesn't involve dressing up and mingling with celebrities.  Harry has that special something that his mother had.  It's something that you're born with and Harry has inherited the best qualities of both parents.  Waity and Baldy will bring the end of the Monarchy.  I doubt Georgie boy will even have a throne to sit on when he gets older if his parents keep carrying on the way they are.
Lady Adelaide

Gigantic Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »

Interesting topic, Suzerain.

IMO, it's pretty evident that Willy resents his fate. He doesn't want to be king, but he is too arrogant to do what is best for the monarchy and step down. He is lazy and spoiled, lacks any sense of duty and commitment and has picked an equally unsuitable wife. Those two are an embarrassment to the monarchy and since neither of them want to actually give something back to the people who pay for their luxurious lifestyle, they should have the common sense to gracefully bow out and hand over their job to someone more suitable.

Harry has many faults too, but in the long run I think he'd make a better king than Willy. He certainly has more work ethic than WillKat together and shows interest in his duties.
sleepyvalentina

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 05:42:13 PM »

Step down from what? He does absolutely nothing.

a commoner
Banned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »

Right now he has no specific function to step down from.  He could I suppose take some steps to remove himself from the line of succession if he wanted but this would just mean that everyone else in the line moved up one, which would put Prince George as the next PoW.  There's no question of Harry becoming PoW now that PG is here.  Any other children born to William and Kate will be ahead of Harry in the line of succession. 
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Still not queen, Maz reacts

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »

Yes okay... I used the wrong term, instead of 'step down' I should've used 'remove himself from the line of succession'. Surely there would be a way to change/ bend the rules to allow PG to also be removed from the line. Granny Liz would no doubt do her best if darling boy Willy would wish to do so. No? Oh darn, I give up. I guess this idea was born dead.  Snare
dawni

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 06:34:59 PM »

I think William likes the idea of being king, being number one and being deferred to, but he certainly doesn't want the duties and restrictions that he knows will go with it. Ditto with Kate and queen consort. Does anyone really think either of these two are the slightest bit interested in working for their country, doing duties on a day-to-day basis the way the Queen and Prince Philip have always done and still do (age and health permitting)? Or taking a knowledgeable interest in the affairs of the other countries of which they would be head of state? Can you imagine William diligently working his way through the red boxes of paperwork that go with the job and that follow the monarch everywhere, even on holiday? We're told Edward VIII quickly lost any interest in all these things once he got involved with Wallis, and IMO William is another Edward, only he married his mistress and together they do as little as possible.

Would Harry make a good king? On balance I think he'd be better than William, he's more of a people person, he may be more lighthearted than William (why not? He's not married to Kate  Wink), but he also knows how to be serious when needed. He seems to enjoy his royal duties, and people warm to him. He has his mother's charm (strange, when William looks much more like Diana but has none of her charisma), and I think if he ever did become king he'd knuckle down to the work involved. I think there's a side of Charles that Harry has inherited - the 'do the best you possibly can' side, something that comes across whatever Harry is doing, while William seems only to be going through the motions. His choice of wife is important as he is now, but would be even more important if he were ever to become king. I've no idea if it'll be Cressida or if she would be a successful member of the royal family, but I certainly wouldn't write her off. Everyone has to start somewhere, and when Harry gets a bride I daresay it won't be long before we find out if she's a worker or a second Kate.

So yes, I'd vote for Harry if William ever stepped down and took George with him (not Kate, she wouldn't go because stepping down wasn't part of the master plan).
Future Crayon

Humongous Member

Iceland Iceland

fusty

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »

The whole lot should step down and we should have a proper democracy.

That said, I'd love to see PW step down and stand on his own two feet. I wonder how many people would flock to the court of Willy and his wisp of a wife if they weren't royal? Williams seems petulant, lazy, fiercely secretive, yet disloyal to his family, snobbish, unaccountable, stupid... he isn't fit to polish the palace candlesticks, let along be head of the commonwealth.
a commoner
Banned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:52:38 PM »

William cannot take George with him if he decides he doesn't want to be King.  It's not a case of bending the rules, it would need an Act of Parliament.  George would be able to make his own decision at 18 but in the meantime his position would be protected.   
QueenEM

Large Member

Argentina Argentina

I'm SWexxy and I know it

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 07:04:32 PM »

Yes okay... I used the wrong term, instead of 'step down' I should've used 'remove himself from the line of succession'. Surely there would be a way to change/ bend the rules to allow PG to also be removed from the line. Granny Liz would no doubt do her best if darling boy Willy would wish to do so. No? Oh darn, I give up. I guess this idea was born dead.  Snare

Well, I used to think like you that the lamebridges would be able to decide about PG's future but it seems that the only one with the power to do sois the parliament... maybe if willnot and kannot raise PG as a catholic that would make it? I do think that willlnot must step down and live the normal he craves so much  Snare
I think that Harry would make a better king than William. He might be considered "the party prince", but when the time comes to work, he does it, and with a smile in his face. During the paralimpics he was there in representation of the queen while his lazy brother has in a holiday deeply saddened because a pap took pictures of his topples wife when that could've been avoided had they been working. But I don't want Harry to be a future king because that would make him unhappy. He wouldn't step down, but he would never be able to have a happy family with the right girl, but that's jmo.
If we are not thinking about a future king G I would like a Queen Bea: female monarchs are the best  , if you don't consider her parents she is pretty harmless and she seems sweet and caring.

btw, great topic  Star
candyflower

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:25:51 PM »

I don't usually post here, I prefer to read everybody's wonderful posts. I believe if William removes himself from the line of succession before George turns 18 then that will automatically remove George or any of Williams children from the line of succession. If George is over 18 and William decides to step aside then that would not affect George only the any children that are bellow the age of 18. 
Lady G

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »

The Duke of Windsor renounced the throne for himself and his descendants - but he was already king and had no children. AFAIK, if William wanted to take his descendants (and one of those descendants already having been born)out of the line of succession, that would require an Act of Parliament.

"Cowards falter, but danger is often overcome by those who nobly dare."
QueenEM

Large Member

Argentina Argentina

I'm SWexxy and I know it

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »

I don't usually post here, I prefer to read everybody's wonderful posts. I believe if William removes himself from the line of succession before George turns 18 then that will automatically remove George or any of Williams children from the line of succession. If George is over 18 and William decides to step aside then that would not affect George only the any children that are bellow the age of 18. 

welcome to the board  Champagne Champagne Star
You will find that dishing is so much fun  Grin
a commoner
Banned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 08:00:17 PM »

The Duke of Windsor renounced the throne for himself and his descendants - but he was already king and had no children. AFAIK, if William wanted to take his descendants (and one of those descendants already having been born)out of the line of succession, that would require an Act of Parliament.

Yes, Parliament governs the succession http://www.royal.gov.uk/T.../Succession/Overview.aspx
The succession to the throne is regulated not only through descent, but also by statute; the Act of Settlement confirmed that it was for Parliament to determine the title to the throne.

Parliament was involved in setting the terms for the abdication.  Since Edward had no legitimate children at the time of his abdication he could renounce the throne for any future descendants  because such children would be born to a private citizen and not to a King or a royal within the line of succession.   This would prevent any future dispute about succession.  

In William's case there is a legitimate heir already born whose place in the succession is independent of any decision his parents make.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: