Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas at Sandringham  (Read 158869 times)
wisdomheaven

Gigantic Member

#SRFSugar

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: December 26, 2016, 10:06:20 PM »

Isn't this the family gathering where they have to change clothes a billion times throughout the day?  If so, then I find it hard to believe there wasn't a backup outfit she could have worn. 

I don't think the kids take part in that aspect. I also read that that aspect in general has changed and the multiple clothes change and such has been phased out in recent years. But I defer to the better knowledge of other posters to confirm that.

Sophie has always had a very loving and hands on relationship with her children from all appearances. I doubt this was a case of neglect or suggests anything about Sophie as a mother. Maybe Louise really wanted this dress. She is old enough to know her own mind. But it was definitely a tad short.

Her cousins chronically wear things that are IMO much more inappropriate for a church setting then this and they are older.

I thought Sophie, Autumn and Eugenie looked fantastic this year! As did Harry Smiley Good to see Philip out and about but he did look very frail indeed :/ Its nice that Sophie still gets to ride in the car, shows the strong favor that both the Queen and Phillip hold for her.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:13:24 PM by wisdomheaven » Logged
Lady Willoughby

Big Member

United States United States

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: December 26, 2016, 10:12:36 PM »

Yikes that is a short skirt for Church. You wouldn't get out of the door in that dress before mass in my house. & 13 is old enough to know your own mind, but it's also still young enough to be told to head right back upstairs & change if mom & dad have a problem with what your wearing.

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: December 26, 2016, 10:13:25 PM »

Isn't this the family gathering where they have to change clothes a billion times throughout the day?  If so, then I find it hard to believe there wasn't a backup outfit she could have worn.  

I don't think the kids take part in that aspect. I also read that that aspect in general has change and the multiple clothes change and such has been phased out in recent years. But I defer to the better knowledge of other posters to confirm that.

Sophie has always had a very loving and hands on relationship with her children from all appearances. I doubt this was a case of neglect or suggests anything about Sophie as a mother. Maybe Louise really wanted this dress. She is old enough to know her own mind. Her cousins chronically wear things that are IMO much more inappropriate for a church setting then this and they are older.

I thought Sophie, Autumn and Eugenie looked fantastic this year! As did Harry Smiley Good to see Philip out and about but he did look very frail indeed :/ Its nice that Sophie still gets to ride in the car, shows the strong favor that both the Queen and Phillip hold for her.

I've no doubt she loves her children and never insinuated anything regarding her level of affection for said children.  I just find it inappropriate for church-especially for someone who belongs to a family where image is quite literally everything.  That is my opinion.  

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
wisdomheaven

Gigantic Member

#SRFSugar

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: December 26, 2016, 10:14:38 PM »

Isn't this the family gathering where they have to change clothes a billion times throughout the day?  If so, then I find it hard to believe there wasn't a backup outfit she could have worn. 

I don't think the kids take part in that aspect. I also read that that aspect in general has change and the multiple clothes change and such has been phased out in recent years. But I defer to the better knowledge of other posters to confirm that.

Sophie has always had a very loving and hands on relationship with her children from all appearances. I doubt this was a case of neglect or suggests anything about Sophie as a mother. Maybe Louise really wanted this dress. She is old enough to know her own mind. Her cousins chronically wear things that are IMO much more inappropriate for a church setting then this and they are older.

I've no doubt she loves her children and never insinuated anything of the sort.  I just find it inappropriate for church-especially for someone who belongs to a family where image is quite literally everything.  That is my opinion.  

Sorry, I didn't mean to impky you were saying she didn't. That comment just a broader one not directed at any post.
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: December 26, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »

It is a bit strange - as someone said she has a very good taste in her own clothes and actually never goes wrong. She has money and time on her hand. Louise is not that often photographed as she is a minor. But this is the only time in the year when she makes front pages (unless George Michael dies).

There was no year so far when her clothes were completely normal. First she was dressed to childish, now the dress is too short. If she changed after mass into that - no problem, nobody would have known. But IMO it was not appropriate.
ronda

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: December 26, 2016, 10:44:23 PM »

I agree with others regarding Louise's short dress. Not appropriate for church. IMO

Smiley...Knowledge is Power...Smiley
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: December 26, 2016, 11:19:34 PM »

I don't think any of us can tell for certain whether Sophie is a loving and hands-on mother or not. What we can tell is how her kids appear in public. I don't remember she has ever gotten Louise's outfits right at the few occasions when Louise appears in public. I remember the year when Louise appeared in a pretty summary dress that were two sizes too long and an overcoat that was two sizes too short at Sandringham in the middle of winter. I also remember that coat she's worn for several years in a row. In the first year, it's too long. In the 3rd or 4th year, it's too short. If this is a normal family on limited budget, I would understand the thriftiness. But this is not a family with limited budget and their photos would appear worldwide.

Sophie herself almost never got it wrong. She has very good taste when dressing herself and she doesn't seem to have any budget constraint when she dresses herself. So I don't understand this thriftiness or carelessness toward her daughter's outfits. No other royal kids, other than Mosh's kids that is, appear as badly dressed as Louise. She's either dressed too young or she appeared in clothes that didn't fit or she appeared in inappropriate outfit. It's not a one-off. It's been a well-established pattern, so much so that every time Spanish infantitas appear in DM, some people would comment that Sophie should take note. And was it her son who wore only suit jacket with no coat on?
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: December 26, 2016, 11:20:43 PM »

With respect to the length of Louise' clothing, sometimes these growth spurts are so fast that nothing fits. And it's initially hard for the parents to notice. But I bet after Sophie looks at these photos, Louise will be getting some new clothing.

My mom bought me an expensive  camelhair coat at the beginning of eight grade. The idea was that I would wear it all the way through high school and college. However, I grew more than six inches that year and the sleeves suddenly were almost elbow length and the coat itself was way too short. My mother just didn't see the problem for a long time as in her head, she had taken care of the coat issue for the next five to nine years. It took some other relative to see how ill the coat fitted and to make my mom aware that I had grew out of the coat almost before it was paid for.  
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: December 26, 2016, 11:54:51 PM »

I don't think it was carelessness. Sophie was a PR woman before she even met Ed, she knows, she knows how to please the Queen and the public. As Ed is only third in line she would have the position she is in if she was not able to sell herself in a very clever way to the public, creates positive headlines and therefore the Queen sees her as an asset to the "Firm". She knows the rules of PR. She knows that the "Queen goes to church picture" usually gets the front pages.

The question is really why someone who is based in London (I believe), with loads of clothes shops and staff on her hand and companies just eager to dress her children never gets the Christmas outfits right. Why was James not wearing a coat? Why is Louises (otherwise nice enough dress) so short? There is no logical explaination. If she had asked, Harrods would have given them a consulting after hours. But apparently she never thought about the outfits. If she had asked - they would have sent her the dress 10 inches longer. Why did she not ask?

Given that she gets her outfits always right (and shows that she knows her job) this is even stranger.
Diamond Lil

Gigantic Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: December 27, 2016, 12:31:11 AM »

I don't think any of us can tell for certain whether Sophie is a loving and hands-on mother or not. What we can tell is how her kids appear in public. I don't remember she has ever gotten Louise's outfits right at the few occasions when Louise appears in public. I remember the year when Louise appeared in a pretty summary dress that were two sizes too long and an overcoat that was two sizes too short at Sandringham in the middle of winter. I also remember that coat she's worn for several years in a row. In the first year, it's too long. In the 3rd or 4th year, it's too short. If this is a normal family on limited budget, I would understand the thriftiness. But this is not a family with limited budget and their photos would appear worldwide.

Sophie herself almost never got it wrong. She has very good taste when dressing herself and she doesn't seem to have any budget constraint when she dresses herself. So I don't understand this thriftiness or carelessness toward her daughter's outfits. No other royal kids, other than Mosh's kids that is, appear as badly dressed as Louise. She's either dressed too young or she appeared in clothes that didn't fit or she appeared in inappropriate outfit. It's not a one-off. It's been a well-established pattern, so much so that every time Spanish infantitas appear in DM, some people would comment that Sophie should take note. And was it her son who wore only suit jacket with no coat on?

Exactly.   Star  I just don't get it.  Sophie has the money, the contacts, and the time, to get it right each and every time for Louise.  But, she doesn't.  She does it for herself, but not her daughter.  It's baffling.  And, I personally think she's a very good mother, which makes it even more baffling.

bach

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: December 27, 2016, 12:37:36 AM »

Oh. Louise's dress is an accident waiting to happen- was it windy? This is may be ok for a party but definitely not for church.

#FreeHarry
#HarryForKing
Hibou

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: December 27, 2016, 12:40:10 AM »

Exactly.   Star  I just don't get it.  Sophie has the money, the contacts, and the time, to get it right each and every time for Louise.  But, she doesn't.  She does it for herself, but not her daughter.  It's baffling.  And, I personally think she's a very good mother, which makes it even more baffling.

Louise is at that tough stage where some girls like to assert their sense of self and also start establishing independence by choosing their own clothes. Depending on parenting style, some parents let their kids choose what to where within reason. So while some think the dress is too short, Louise may be starting to define who she is by her clothing choice. They will make mistakes. Sophie may also have to start to choose her battles.  Most girls do if they have a Mother who allows them to make their mistakes within reason. Just a thought and JMO.
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: December 27, 2016, 12:42:28 AM »

With respect to the length of Louise' clothing, sometimes these growth spurts are so fast that nothing fits. And it's initially hard for the parents to notice. But I bet after Sophie looks at these photos, Louise will be getting some new clothing.

My mom bought me an expensive  camelhair coat at the beginning of eight grade. The idea was that I would wear it all the way through high school and college. However, I grew more than six inches that year and the sleeves suddenly were almost elbow length and the coat itself was way too short. My mother just didn't see the problem for a long time as in her head, she had taken care of the coat issue for the next five to nine years. It took some other relative to see how ill the coat fitted and to make my mom aware that I had grew out of the coat almost before it was paid for.  

I doubt they bought the dress for the Christmas church walk months ago (although it looks summery). I also doubt they don't check those outfits before they go to Sandringham. If they do not check with kids that age that's quite stupid imo. They have staff and it's not as if they are busy all the time. They have the time, the money, the opportunity and the resources to get their daughter an appropriate dress for the one occasion that usually makes the front page. IMO there is no excuse for this outfit unless they played Sardines the night before and hid in Louise's wardrobe with a few bottles spilling red wine over every dress Louise owns.

Witchell: Clearly a greater share of royal burden will fall on you and as that happens you will grasp it willingly?
Will: Absolutely willingly. And as that time comes I'll be the first person to put my hand up and take it on. But [] my grandfather is so active [] and unwilling to slow down.
Roll Eyes
AddiesGirl

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: December 27, 2016, 01:19:42 AM »

Louise is at that tough stage where some girls like to assert their sense of self and also start establishing independence by choosing their own clothes. Depending on parenting style, some parents let their kids choose what to where within reason. So while some think the dress is too short, Louise may be starting to define who she is by her clothing choice. They will make mistakes. Sophie may also have to start to choose her battles.  Most girls do if they have a Mother who allows them to make their mistakes within reason. Just a thought and JMO.

That is also my opinion, Hibou. The way Louise was holding her purse to show it to the cameras made me think she was posing to show off the outfit. I think she was very proud of how she looked and probably had picked it herself, maybe with help. She's at that stage where she's figuring out her style, it's not an easy age by any means, especially when you're in the public eye sometimes.

I much prefer this outfit over the 'little girl' outfits she's been wearing, the coats with velvet collar and cuffs were really starting to look silly as tall as she's getting. This skirt was too short IMO, but I'm really glad to see her dressing her age and thought that overall she looked quite nice.

?What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof??I wish I knew... Just staying on it, I guess, as long as she can...?
― Tennessee Williams, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: December 27, 2016, 03:20:01 AM »

Sophie seems like a sensible mum; I am sure she's encountering some trials raising a teenager. I think Louise is wearing a dress her contemporaries wear when they aren't in school. As a person who used to work in children's retail, I can tell you the challenge of breaking the news to parents when their kids have outgrown the kids styles.

Her coat, shoes and bag are on point, and the dress hem and the coat hem are nicely aligned. I don't see anything wrong with Louise's outfit. She may not have worn it if Granny was present, but we will never know! And I think Sophie will teach Louise to find her own style. Part of being a good mum is allowing your children to make their own mistakes. Grand daughter of the Queen or not, carry on Sophie!
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: