Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royals at the Sochi Olympics  (Read 2658 times)
bumbershoot

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:37:07 PM »

Much as I enjoyed seeing the coverage of the royals --and their kids -- at the various events around the London Olympics, I am feeling a great deal of apprehension about what may happen in Sochi. All the coverage I've seen -- other than by USA sponsor NBC, which is pretty much on a non-stop rah-rah rah kick -- point toward these games as being an environmental, economic and social disaster. And this is WITHOUT any mention of terrorist activities.

So I am wondering just who will go and what sort of security precautions will be in place. Also, if the various royals' security forces are presently rethinking plans for their royals' attendance. Plus, the anti-gay issues rampant in Russia right now certainly complicate matters for some of the royals who have been outspoken supporters of gay rights.

Who do think will or should go? Should the royals with kids bring them or leave them home?  Obviously the royals from the Nordic countries particularly come from a strong winter-sports tradition, and their countries historically field very strong Olympic teams.  So I suppose some of them must go for sure.

I read this article earlier this week, and found it to be quite chilling in terms of what has gone on around getting ready for the games. I didn't know all that much about climate in that part of Russia, but even I found myself wondering why a place so far south would have been chosen as a major venue.
http://www.interpretermag...ption-and-abuse-in-sochi/

TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »

Much as I enjoyed seeing the coverage of the royals --and their kids -- at the various events around the London Olympics, I am feeling a great deal of apprehension about what may happen in Sochi. All the coverage I've seen -- other than by USA sponsor NBC, which is pretty much on a non-stop rah-rah rah kick -- point toward these games as being an environmental, economic and social disaster. And this is WITHOUT any mention of terrorist activities.

So I am wondering just who will go and what sort of security precautions will be in place. Also, if the various royals' security forces are presently rethinking plans for their royals' attendance. Plus, the anti-gay issues rampant in Russia right now certainly complicate matters for some of the royals who have been outspoken supporters of gay rights.

Who do think will or should go? Should the royals with kids bring them or leave them home?  Obviously the royals from the Nordic countries particularly come from a strong winter-sports tradition, and their countries historically field very strong Olympic teams.  So I suppose some of them must go for sure.

I read this article earlier this week, and found it to be quite chilling in terms of what has gone on around getting ready for the games. I didn't know all that much about climate in that part of Russia, but even I found myself wondering why a place so far south would have been chosen as a major venue.
http://www.interpretermag...ption-and-abuse-in-sochi/

If they opt to bring the kids then I think it will be for a short duration. I can't imagine the speed skating rink filled with orange clad spectators without the king, queen and princesses. Maybe appearances by Frederik, Albert, Anne and Haakon?
RoyalDish.com
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »

Trier1

Medium Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 01:39:18 AM »

GD Henri might go. He is a member of the IOC and Lux actually has an athlete competing this time, so he and parts of the family might come and support Kari Peters (cross-country skiing).
draadje

Micro Member

Aruba Aruba

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 06:10:11 AM »

For the 2012 Olympics, the Dutch RF website announced about 3 weeks ahead of time that Wax and Max were attending with the As. For the 2010 Olympics, it was announced about a week and a half in advance. So I'll be keeping an eye out on the website, at least were Wax and Max are concerned.
Royalfan 72

Huge Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:24:56 PM »

Will be interesting to see who will visit the Olympics. One also have to take into consideration, that London was far more convenient to travel to. I saw myself the Danebrog and the Norge in the London docklands. And no one knows if they will not travel due to the political situation in Russia.

The German president Gauch decided not to visit the Olympics due to that.

Chacun à son goût!
Molly2101

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

I spy you George...i'm still cuter.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »

Princess Anne is attending the Sochi Olympics the CC shows.

The Princess Royal - 4th February 2014

Member, International Olympic Committee, and President, British Olympic Association, will attend the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russian Federation.

Bringin' SWexxy back.
"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 10:34:51 PM »

Princess Anne is attending the Sochi Olympics the CC shows.

The Princess Royal - 4th February 2014

Member, International Olympic Committee, and President, British Olympic Association, will attend the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russian Federation.

Thought that she'd be there. Thanks Molly
bumbershoot

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 11:38:20 PM »

Like probably zillions of other people, I've been watching the second season of ``Lilyhammer'' on Netflix. The protagonist -- a mobster in the FBI's witness protection program -- chose Lillihammer because he watched the 1994 Olympic games that were held there. I can remember watching these games religiously and thought I recalled that a much younger Haakon  was in the opening ceremony, maybe even lit the flame. I can recall seeing images of the Norwegian royals at the cross-country and ski-jumping competition, but I don't remember any royals from any other country's being there.

As I recall, except for the Tanya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan incident, these games were a model for being well-run and fun for all. I just can't help feeling that the Sochi Olympics will be neither and that it would be a good idea for the royals to stay home.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:21:23 AM »

The Harding-Kerrigan scandal was in our faces constantly with the US coverage. My personal highlight was Gordeeva and Grinkov winning their second gold medal for pairs.
cowgrrl

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 01:04:36 AM »

I think Sochi is going to be a complete PR disaster for Russia & my only hope is that we don't have another Munich-like situation.
I have a strong desire to visit a Winter Olympics (I went to the Summer in Atlanta) but I'm going to wait.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:10:14 AM »

I think Sochi is going to be a complete PR disaster for Russia & my only hope is that we don't have another Munich-like situation.
I have a strong desire to visit a Winter Olympics (I went to the Summer in Atlanta) but I'm going to wait.
Nerves You and me both. The Olympics have unfortunately been a terrorist target in the past and I'm hoping that all athletes, coaches, and spectators will be safe.
tgb

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 05:20:57 AM »

Well now that Lene has used Fred's IOC "work" as an excuse for the DRF being lazy, he absolutely has to go.
bumbershoot

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 05:25:34 AM »

And even more reasons for the royals to stay home:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/1...nion-russia-terror-sochi/
Molly2101

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

I spy you George...i'm still cuter.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »

And even more reasons for the royals to stay home:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/1...nion-russia-terror-sochi/

I think it's more of a reason for not just the Royals to stay at home, but the general public too.

Bringin' SWexxy back.
"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
cowgrrl

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »

What I'm about to say might be unpopular but I stand by it. The Olympics are not an opportunity for a country to 'prove itself'. They are for countries that HAVE proven themselves. Unfortunately that does lend itself to First World Countries but the safety of the many that visit the Games is more important than the ego of a saber-rattling nation.
As an American, I'm very concerned for the safety of our athletes, especially those who are openly gay. I pray for these Games every day & will continue to pray until all our athletes set foot safely back on American soil.
I really don't want to be right. I hope & pray I'm not right. But things that have happened & are happening make me think that I unfortunately just might be.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: