Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Charles  (Read 14399 times)
Hibou

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »

Thanks, Crawler.  Star

I'm glad that the The Duke of Cornwall is reminding people of the Duchy's right to mine under their homes and claiming it.  Surely that stops any other tin miner from staking a claim.
Better an homegrown 'environmental campaigner' have the license than a developer or foreign investor who might be out to make a quick dollar and destroy the countryside.

I predict that if any mining is conducted by the Duchy of Cornwall it will be done in a manner sympathetic to the residents and the environment.  I actually will be very surprised if mining takes place at all.  

Charles is a very shrewd business man, and environmentalist. I believe he is in fact trying to preserve the land from mining. He has to notify the residence of the Duchy but it also puts them on notice that they can't sell out either. He's proving to be a very good steward of the land. I see this notice as a positive for the people not a negative. JMO.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 04:20:33 PM »

Since most of the people in the U.K. were not even born at the time of Elizabeth's coronation, the only ideas most may have of the vent is from photos, books and the coronation film, now available on video. So I am wondering just how strongly Charles may follow the precedent of his mother's coronation? Just how much would it be a reflection of Charles' own taste and desires and how much would be dictated by tradition and/or economic factors?

Would the government allow it to be as lavish? Would there be private funding? Would the style of the coronation be dictated by whichever party is in political power at the time?

All those peers' and peeresses' coronation robes have been in mothballs for some 64 years. Will they ever be worn again?

The U.K. is now much more diverse in terms of culture and religion than it was in 1993. In what ways would Charles' coronation nod to those differences?

Elizabeth's coronation was marked by, among other things, a huge gathering of the leadership of the commonwealth nations. What a security nightmare that might be in the present era. Probably security arrangements these days would be a large percentage of the cost of the event, I suppose.

These are some of the questions I started thinking about this morning when I was looking at some old photos of Elizabeth's coronation.

LadyCate

Warned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 05:53:41 PM »

^good questions - I think the core of the coronation ceremony must be preserved - as things like tradition and continuity are integral to the monarchy.  I also think too much new stuff which nods to diversity would be not well greeted at this time.   Some accommodation yes - but Charles had best not make major changes.

The CoE will fight tooth and nail to assure that the Anglican character of the coronation is preserved - I just do not see that changing.

I would not be surprised if the peers have a much smaller role than in the past.  And perhaps it won't be as "glittering" as a nod towards austerity.  But I do think the heads of other religions will be given a role - that would be a first but consistent with Charles work.

RandyDrx

Mini Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »

Is it possible for Charles to be inaugurated like King Willem-Alexander or having a proclamation like King Felipe VI instead of having a coronation?
And what is the difference between inauguration and proclamation?
LDJJ

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 04:26:02 PM »

Is it possible for Charles to be inaugurated like King Willem-Alexander or having a proclamation like King Felipe VI instead of having a coronation?

I just Googled difference between inauguration and coronation and found this article:

http://www.timescolonist....almost-just-a-job-1.59027

Personally I want to see a coronation.  No one does pomp like the BRF.
rosella

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 05:38:53 PM »

I just Googled difference between inauguration and coronation and found this article:

http://www.timescolonist....almost-just-a-job-1.59027

Personally I want to see a coronation.  No one does pomp like the BRF.

I'd like to see a Coronation too. I can't see Charles, having waited for decades for his chance to shine, being happy with an inauguration or declaration.
Ellie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »

That and a coronation is important--a vow before God to serve your people. Charles takes that seriously I'd imagine.

In other news the Sun Military Awards were last night. No royals? I knew Superman actor Henry Cavill who is a big fundraiser for military charities presented an award, so I was wondering if any royal was there considering Charles created the awards.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »

Charles has said somewhere that he would prefer to be named ``defender of faiths'' rather than ``defender of THE faith.'' COuld that happen in the context of an Anglican coronation ritual?
rosella

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »

I'm sure if he wanted it Charles could have a more ecumenical or inter-faith service interwoven with the Coronation ceremony, a Roman Catholic bishop doing a reading say, and a Jewish rabbi and perhaps an imman offering a short prayer or blessing. I can see the Coronation ceremony being somewhat shortened anyway, while the essence remains.
Winnifred

Warned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 08:35:52 PM »

I hope HM steps down to allow Charles to ascend the throne, rather than him ascending upon her death. It would be such a sad tiding over the coronation ceremonies! What are the chances this might happen? There's already talk of changing the anthem, but I don't get the sense that HM wants to move aside.

Lady G

Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 09:09:13 PM »

During the Diamond Jubilee year, one Sunday the BBC Parliament channel showed the whole coronation in real time - it was GLORIOUS. But it was also bloody long and very religious. I think there will be very little choice but to make changes - Britain has changed so much in 60 years. (OT but I just about swooned when Philip kissed her hand and promised to be her "liege man of life and limb and earthly worship" - gallant was not the word  Wink ).

"Cowards falter, but danger is often overcome by those who nobly dare."
freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

BooHoo Sugars

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 10:42:42 PM »

The BRF are masters of reinvention.  They know what it takes to keep the peasants happy and on the hook for their wealth and power, and they happily do what it takes (beyond actually yielding that wealth and power) to keep the peasants clapping for more.  Charles will reinvent, as every monarch before him has done.

Ain't nobody got time for Mary's sh*t.
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2016, 10:48:12 PM »

I hope HM steps down to allow Charles to ascend the throne, rather than him ascending upon her death. It would be such a sad tiding over the coronation ceremonies! What are the chances this might happen? There's already talk of changing the anthem, but I don't get the sense that HM wants to move aside.

She won't abdicate. She believes that only God can take her from her position.

The Coronation normally takes place at least a year after the death of the previous monarch and thus the new monarch should be past the worst of the sadness over the death of their parent and the mourning period will also have ended.

I have read that the government (this was in the 90s under Blair) wanted to have a shorter period of time between death and coronation than Elizabeth had but the main reason for the length of time was that George VI died in February so the coronation couldn't be until February the following year and they wanted it in the summer.

As for the length of the ceremony - what can they cut out - the official swearing of the oaths of fealty - so no William, Harry, Andrew or Edward swearing allegiance to Charles (assuming Harry has a title by then). That has been a major reason for the length of the coronation in the past as it was the public acknowledgement by the nobles as to who was the rightful king but there is probably no need for that anymore. Would the PM and the Archbishops still publicly make their oaths again when they have done so in private when taking their offices?

I can see an ecumenical service taking place in Westminster Hall but as Charles or William would be not only being crowned King but also as Supreme Governor of the Church of England then the religious ceremony is very important. They could cut out the communion - and have them do that privately but it is a very public sign that they met one of the crucial determinants as the right of the monarch to be the monarch - that they are in communion with the Church of England.

Charles did say once that he would like to be 'Defender of Faith' accepting the idea that all faiths should be protected not just the CoE but he has not reiterated that since it went down so badly with the CoE and the general public. I think he will stick to Defender of the Faith now.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2016, 11:05:31 PM »

It's nothing but bread and circuses. And the BRF has more clowns than most.
Crawler

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2016, 12:13:33 AM »

The BRF are masters of reinvention.  They know what it takes to keep the peasants happy and on the hook for their wealth and power, and they happily do what it takes (beyond actually yielding that wealth and power) to keep the peasants clapping for more.  Charles will reinvent, as every monarch before him has done.

Star    Thumb up  And all the while saying what a hard life it is and they just continue out of service and duty to the people.  Laughing   It is time to end this dog and pony show.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: