Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Children and Languages  (Read 12610 times)
Cloudberry

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2014, 02:59:10 AM »

I went back a couple pages and didn't see a topic about this.

What languages do the royal children speak besides Danish/Danglish (in the case of F+M's kids)? I can't imagine most of the Donaldsons or Cavalliers speak Danish--do the kids speak their parents' native tongues fluently?
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 05:22:00 AM »

I'm guessing that Nicolai and Felix are learning English and possibly French/German. Alex is a native German speaker so it's possible that the boys are picking it up. Considering Denmark shares a border with Germany it would likely be a bonus.

The CP kids and the younger Schack kids will likely learn English/French at some point in their school years. (It's possible that Henrik and Athena are already hearing it from one or both parents.)
Kashka

Small Member

Barbados Barbados

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:39:59 AM »

I would expect Mosh's kids to be bilingual Danish / English, with German and French hopefully acquired at school (or in interactions with their grandpa and other members of DRF).
Hopefully Jokke's children also are bilingual, the older boys with Danish / English or German (I don't know with which language Alex is more comfortable) and the younget two obviously Danish / French.

However,  this is all just my speculation, I have no idea what they speak in reality. 
Lovis

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 07:55:07 PM »

I'm guessing that Nicolai and Felix are learning English and possibly French/German. Alex is a native German speaker so it's possible that the boys are picking it up. Considering Denmark shares a border with Germany it would likely be a bonus.

The CP kids and the younger Schack kids will likely learn English/French at some point in their school years. (It's possible that Henrik and Athena are already hearing it from one or both parents.)

Really? I didnīt know that. Checked on wikipedia. I didnīt knew her mother is austrian.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »

In an interview around her father's death Alex said, that her sons talk(ed) to their grandmother in german. I think at that time the Manleys lived in Austria and Alex mentioned that the weekly phone calls between grandparents and the boys were sometimes rather funny. So I assume that the boys were pretty good but not totally fluent in german, however at that stage a vacation of two or three weeks can make all the difference for a child.
The Schack's children will most likely pick up french as they grow, the Derf's english, as to other languages, we'll see.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »

To take this topic beyond Denmark, what languages are all the little princes and princesses learning and which do they speak?

Does William speak anything but English? His dad's French is pretty good, I know, but I've never heard of William's having any other language competence, and I rather doubt Kate does either.

I would assume that the Triple As must be learning English and maybe French or German in addition to Dutch and Spanish. Do the little Infantas study anything besides Spanish? I would assume that all the Norwegian kids are getting English and maybe German in addition to Norwegian, and that the Belgian kids are learning both Flemish and French (and maybe German?).  Our favorite little Swedish princess is still learing her first words of Swedish, but I would bet that English and German are not far behind.

The three Nordic languages are all pretty similar so I would assume that they can all understand each other and may not need to make a special effort to learn the other two languages, but maybe I'm mistaken. I did note that after the Utoya massacre, Daisy's condolence note to King Harald was in English.

Aiko must surely be learning English in addition to Japanese. All Japanese school kids learn English in school.
Martina91

Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Princess Gabriella rules the world!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:42:10 PM »

To take this topic beyond Denmark, what languages are all the little princes and princesses learning and which do they speak?

Does William speak anything but English? His dad's French is pretty good, I know, but I've never heard of William's having any other language competence, and I rather doubt Kate does either.

I would assume that the Triple As must be learning English and maybe French or German in addition to Dutch and Spanish. Do the little Infantas study anything besides Spanish? I would assume that all the Norwegian kids are getting English and maybe German in addition to Norwegian, and that the Belgian kids are learning both Flemish and French (and maybe German?).  Our favorite little Swedish princess is still learing her first words of Swedish, but I would bet that English and German are not far behind.

The three Nordic languages are all pretty similar so I would assume that they can all understand each other and may not need to make a special effort to learn the other two languages, but maybe I'm mistaken. I did note that after the Utoya massacre, Daisy's condolence note to King Harald was in English.

Aiko must surely be learning English in addition to Japanese. All Japanese school kids learn English in school.

It's funny that you included William and Kate in royal children . I think he can't speak anything. He has said that he ha not language skills... Waity Katie is said to speak a bit of italian... Whistle

Princess Gabriella doesn't have time for Monaco's outdated succession law!
Cloudberry

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:50:29 PM »

William was said to be learning Swahili at one point. IIRC he used it in that anti-poaching video, though as I have no knowledge of Swahili I can't say whether he's actually any good.

Kate spent her preschool years learning Arabic, though I doubt she remembers any. She studied Italian in Florence during her gap year; again, I have no idea whether she kept it up. Around the time of her engagement/marriage she was said to be studying Welsh--I highly doubt that though.

I pay little attention to the Spaniards, but weren't the infantas said to be learning Mandarin?

I wonder, if the CP family's kids, especially Christian and Isabella, can't speak at least some English, how do they communicate with their Aussie relatives? I can't see Uncle John learning Danish.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »

I would expect Mosh's kids to be bilingual Danish / English, with German and French hopefully acquired at school (or in interactions with their grandpa and other members of DRF).

sorry but don't know who should teach them ^^^^ German or French. Neither Yrma, nor Fred engage in German, and only Fred understands and "speaks" French.

From what we know, read and heard, Xtian & Izzy can speak, or say simple sentences in English. Hopefully now even more.

Hopefully Jokke's children also are bilingual, the older boys with Danish / English or German (I don't know with which language Alex is more comfortable) and the youngest two obviously Danish / French.

However, this is all just my speculation, I have no idea what they speak in reality.  

I've read that Nikolai & Felix understood German (through their Austrian grandmother), but did not speak it. French I'm not sure about, but they'll probably take it in school and can practice at home. Or perhaps they are already practicing, since holidaying in Cayx and visiting French relatives, and also being with Marie's family when on winter vacation.

Both little ones understand French perfectly, and answer in Danish. Which is normal for children growing up bi-lingually.

Trier1

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 11:52:22 PM »

They could get a German/French speaking nanny and Daisy and the Dame speak French, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find somebody to teach them. It is easy for children to pic up the languages, even if it is more than 2/3 at a time. I had a collegue from Belgium who is married to an African lady and their children grow up with French (his first language and his dad's language), Dutch (kindergarten), English (the couple speaks English to each other) plus the 2 African languages the mother speaks (her mother tongue plus the language of her father)
Harley
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 12:33:14 AM »

Eventually, once they're 13 and reach 7th grade, they'll start having German in school. I also feel fairly confident they'll acquire at least some french - simply because they will be exposed to it through their paternal family. I don't think Mosh will have as much influence as we fear. As for language skills, they'll probably be like the average Dane. Nothing wrong with that Smiley

Cloudberry

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 06:03:52 AM »

sorry but don't know who should teach them ^^^^ German or French. Neither Yrma, nor Fred engage in German, and only Fred understands and "speaks" French.

From what we know, read and heard, Xtian & Izzy can speak, or say simple sentences in English. Hopefully now even more.

Hopefully Jokke's children also are bilingual, the older boys with Danish / English or German (I don't know with which language Alex is more comfortable) and the youngest two obviously Danish / French.

However, this is all just my speculation, I have no idea what they speak in reality.  

I've read that Nikolai & Felix understood German (through their Austrian grandmother), but did not speak it. French I'm not sure about, but they'll probably take it in school and can practice at home. Or perhaps they are already practicing, since holidaying in Cayx and visiting French relatives, and also being with Marie's family when on winter vacation.

Both little ones understand French perfectly, and answer in Danish. Which is normal for children growing up bi-lingually.

Oooh, are there videos of the kids speaking languages other than Danish? I'd love to see some if anyone has better Google-fu than me. It would be interesting to hear accents or how comfortable they are speaking foreign tongues.
Kashka

Small Member

Barbados Barbados

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »

I think school would be the best place for learning additional languages. Since they already have Danish and English, French and / or German would most likely be learnt at school.
With their army of nannies, I wonder whether any are native speakers of, say, German, French or any other language, as this would also be a very good way to introduce another language into the children's lives.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »

They could get a German/French speaking nanny and Daisy and the Dame speak French, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find somebody to teach them. It is easy for children to pic up the languages, even if it is more than 2/3 at a time. I had a collegue from Belgium who is married to an African lady and their children grow up with French (his first language and his dad's language), Dutch (kindergarten), English (the couple speaks English to each other) plus the 2 African languages the mother speaks (her mother tongue plus the language of her father)

Acquaintances of mine are a Polish-German couple, they met when living (and working) in the Netherlands. As they are not fluently in each other language, they speak English to each other. While they use both their own language when speaking to their children. Their children understand and speak at least three languages Polish (mother), German (father) and Dutch (school, neighbourhood). At school they will learn English, and perhaps French. Apparently a running gag within the family was teasing mum by the kids talking German to her (as she couldn't understand all of it)

When present at a meeting in Italy we had some fun talk about language skills. During the conversation we concluded that one of the Dutch participants could speak and understand about 7 languages. Not all fluently, but she was able to understand most of it. Apperently she grew up with Dutch (father), Polish (mother), German (school), English (school), French (school), Italian (frequent family holidays and religieus connection) and Spanish (?).
Olivia

Mini Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 03:23:26 PM »

I pay little attention to the Spaniards, but weren't the infantas said to be learning Mandarin?

Yes, and English. Their nanny is said to be British and only communicates in English with the girls.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: