Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Children and Languages  (Read 12603 times)
lynda

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 05:04:54 PM »

In an interview around her father's death Alex said, that her sons talk(ed) to their grandmother in german. I think at that time the Manleys lived in Austria and Alex mentioned that the weekly phone calls between grandparents and the boys were sometimes rather funny. So I assume that the boys were pretty good but not totally fluent in german, however at that stage a vacation of two or three weeks can make all the difference for a child.
The Schack's children will most likely pick up french as they grow, the Derf's english, as to other languages, we'll see.

Don't forget the Manley's lived with Joachim for many years,  even after Alex & Joachim's divorce they continued to live with Joachim in the big red brick house,up to his marriage with Marie, so they probably at least speak some Danish and understand a lot more
Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 04:16:11 AM »

Alexandra stated in a magazine interview that she spoke Danish to her sons, but that she always spoke English to Joachim.  There was mention of a nanny who spoke "several languages" (I am guessing Danish and English among them), but the interview did not specify which languages or which ones the nanny communicated with the children.   Henrik spoke French to Frederik and Joachim while they were growing up, and I expect he does the same with his grandchildren. 
Princesssarahbeth

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 02:55:04 AM »

Star
Ksenija

Medium Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 09:31:22 AM »

Star
Aren't you bored with posting stars ?
Anyway, I think that is really good that kids are growing up multilingual.You never know how your life will turn out one day 
Harley
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »

I wonder who gets those stars/reputation points?

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 10:16:22 AM »

LOL Laughing

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Small Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »

I wonder if Maria speaks to George in Spanish. I imagine it would drive W&K nuts if Maria and George could converse and they couldn't follow, but on the other hand having a nanny whose first language is something other than English and not taking advantage of that would seem like such a missed opportunity. Kids that age are like little sponges.

My Spanish grandmother always spoke to my mother and to all her grandchildren in Spanish, and whilst I wouldn't claim to be bilingual, or anything near it, my summers in Spain gave me a pretty good level. 

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
Olivia

Mini Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 09:41:19 PM »

A long time ago I've read that Silvia didn't teach Portuguese to Victoria, CP and Madde because CG couldn't speak it and she didn't think it would be fair to have a "secret language" between her and the kids. Anyone else ever heard of that?

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »

A nice idea, for the spouse who doesn't speak the language. In case of WA and Max I once heard she speaks Spanish to the kids and that he was or is also trying to learn the language.

Acquaintances are a German-Polish couple with kids in the Netherlands. They can't speak each other language fluently so they predominantly use English between them. With their kids they each use predominantly their only language. At school and in the neighbourhood the kids pick up Dutch. There parent can also speak sufficiently Dutch.

I once heard the story that dad, to tease mum a bit, told the kids to speak German to mummy (as she couldn't understand it Smiley ) on some moments.

Or a former colleague of Israel who tried to pick up a bit of Dutch. But was dumfounded when neighbor kids came to her door. Asking something she didn't understand. Until her young daughter said those kids just wanted to get their ball, which had landed in their garden (duh!?)  Smiley
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »

If Marķa Teresa speaks to George in Spanish is because his parents have asked her to do it. They chose a classically trained nanny and have her wear her (ugly) uniform in public functions, there's no way she's speaking Spanish to George "behind their backs"

Royalfan 72

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 06:12:28 PM »

A long time ago I've read that Silvia didn't teach Portuguese to Victoria, CP and Madde because CG couldn't speak it and she didn't think it would be fair to have a "secret language" between her and the kids. Anyone else ever heard of that?

She even didn't teach them proper German. Victoria didn't speak German at her last official visit. I also once read that Madeleine wanted to use some free time after school or university to improve her German.

I wonder how they talked to their grandparents?
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 07:40:59 PM »

The topic here are the Danish royal children. Feel free to start a thread in the Other Royal Stuff section about the more general topic of royal children and languages.
Stheno

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 08:49:39 AM »

I think I'd be very surprised if Mary didn't speak English to her children.
Ghost

Baby Member

Romania Romania

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »

I'm coming from a part of my country where bilingual marriages are common; the parents usually speak to their children in their own mother tongue each, and the children are learning both languages simultaneously. I expect that the DRF, being used for centuries to foreign spouses, do the same; that the children learn both languages at a very young age. Also, I expect that they learn English in school from a very young age; all the Scandinavians I've met have a beautiful command of English, so more so for the Royal children, probably.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »

I'm coming from a part of my country where bilingual marriages are common; the parents usually speak to their children in their own mother tongue each, and the children are learning both languages simultaneously. I expect that the DRF, being used for centuries to foreign spouses, do the same; that the children learn both languages at a very young age. Also, I expect that they learn English in school from a very young age; all the Scandinavians I've met have a beautiful command of English, so more so for the Royal children, probably.

Jokke and Marie have been reportedly doing this with their kids-he speaks Danish to them and she speaks French to them. 

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: