Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Invictus Games  (Read 111622 times)
wisdomheaven

Gigantic Member

#SRFSugar

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: May 14, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »

Britain?s Prince Harry, Patron of the Invictus Games Foundation, poses with players of the Netherlands men?s wheelchair basketball team after the award ceremony, on final day of the 2016 Invictus Games in Orlando, Florida, May 12, 2016.

freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

BooHoo Sugars

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: May 14, 2016, 11:15:12 PM »

These games are just a triumph for Harry and for the participants.  As one participant said, he's Harry first and a prince second.  This is what SeaBiscuit and Waity never quite get and it's why they can never sustain any positive momentum.

Harry genuinely cares about the work he does.  He can't fake it.  And the people who he works with love him for that authenticity.

Ain't nobody got time for Mary's sh*t.
Margaret

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: May 14, 2016, 11:22:54 PM »

Yeah, you either have it, or you don't.  Harry does, William & Kate don't.  

I was very impressed with Harry's speech at the closing ceremony.   He had teleprompters but he obviously knew his speech and could speak to it without needing to read it and unless you were looking for the teleprompters you wouldn't know from his delivery that they were there.  I'm sure he's had speechifying lessons, because he moved about the platform and delivered his words as well as any politician I've every seen give speeches of that sort.  He used some speech-making tricks like involving the audience and using repetition, etc., but he did it seamlessly and enthusiastically and sincerely.   I think he has said he finds public speaking difficult, but he has done what he needed to do to conquer his difficulties.  Were you watching  and paying attention, William and Kate?

In a larger sense, I think that these Games have done a great deal for athletes who are disabled in some way.  The event has given the injured service personnel a different way of looking at themselves and their abilities.  They are athletes, not just injuries, and they have their self-respect and pride back. I am hoping that it might lead to raising the profile of the paralympic games and give a boost to paralympic athletes who were not wounded in the course of military service. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:30:45 PM by Margaret » Logged
zadalina
Banned
Warned
Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: May 15, 2016, 12:01:20 AM »

Yeah, you either have it, or you don't.  Harry does, William & Kate don't.  

I was very impressed with Harry's speech at the closing ceremony.   He had teleprompters but he obviously knew his speech and could speak to it without needing to read it and unless you were looking for the teleprompters you wouldn't know from his delivery that they were there.  I'm sure he's had speechifying lessons, because he moved about the platform and delivered his words as well as any politician I've every seen give speeches of that sort.  He used some speech-making tricks like involving the audience and using repetition, etc., but he did it seamlessly and enthusiastically and sincerely.   I think he has said he finds public speaking difficult, but he has done what he needed to do to conquer his difficulties.  Were you watching  and paying attention, William and Kate?

In a larger sense, I think that these Games have done a great deal for athletes who are disabled in some way.  The event has given the injured service personnel a different way of looking at themselves and their abilities.  They are athletes, not just injuries, and they have their self-respect and pride back. I am hoping that it might lead to raising the profile of the paralympic games and give a boost to paralympic athletes who were not wounded in the course of military service. 

i totally agree with you, but at " you either have it or not" - I doubt people like Maxima, or Felipe and Letizia, or even Queen Liz are 100% involved in what they do however they don't flash flick hair or look like they are in dire need to go to the bathroom.

i loved what Harry did and it's a real pleasure to watch someone who does what he can to serve a good cause.

getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: May 15, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »

Yeah, you either have it, or you don't.  Harry does, William & Kate don't. 

I was very impressed with Harry's speech at the closing ceremony.   He had teleprompters but he obviously knew his speech and could speak to it without needing to read it and unless you were looking for the teleprompters you wouldn't know from his delivery that they were there.  I'm sure he's had speechifying lessons, because he moved about the platform and delivered his words as well as any politician I've every seen give speeches of that sort.  He used some speech-making tricks like involving the audience and using repetition, etc., but he did it seamlessly and enthusiastically and sincerely.   I think he has said he finds public speaking difficult, but he has done what he needed to do to conquer his difficulties.  Were you watching  and paying attention, William and Kate?

Star

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: May 15, 2016, 11:46:30 AM »

Harry got a signed posted from the athletes Cute Cute

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
debbydeb

Gigantic Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: May 15, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »

Doooooogs!!!
The Service Dogs Canine Freestyle Medley...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F_PLfPqItvI

Look at the one that can barely swim but loves the water anyway.

(and also the one that took one look at the water and went "nope. not for me.")

Harry has truly made the games for everyone and their dogs.
Sanguine

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: May 15, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »

Harry got a signed posted from the athletes Cute Cute

I just love the way he puts his hand over his heart, because he is so humbled and honored. SIGH. 
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: May 15, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »

@KensingtonRoyal  36 min
What an incredible week @invictusorlando!

Prince Harry introduces some of his highlights... #WeAreInvictus

https://twitter.com/Kensi...status/731866909520461824

So emotional!! Harry, you're a a start Star

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
LDJJ

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: May 15, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »

@KensingtonRoyal  36 min
What an incredible week @invictusorlando!

Prince Harry introduces some of his highlights... #WeAreInvictus

https://twitter.com/Kensi...status/731866909520461824

So emotional!! Harry, you're a a start Star

I've got to stop looking at these recaps.  I keep crying my way through them.  I wonder if Harry really understands how much these games have connected with people.  Harry and his Invictus team have done an amazing thing. 
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: May 15, 2016, 06:37:07 PM »

ABC is broadcasting taped summary of the Invictus Games right now. It shows Elizabeth Marks' race where she had the cast off. Her left foot was pointing inward in an odd angle. She's also reported to have vision impairment so someone had to tab her to touch the wall. Yet, people on DM questioned her disability.  Dead
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: May 15, 2016, 07:33:06 PM »

Britain?s Prince Harry, Patron of the Invictus Games Foundation, poses with players of the Netherlands men?s wheelchair basketball team after the award ceremony, on final day of the 2016 Invictus Games in Orlando, Florida, May 12, 2016.

I feel soooooo embarrassed...

You know until this pic I thought the IG were pretty much about Commonwealth veterans   -   still them shirts ain't ORANGE sir!!
ANY Dutch 'national' sportsman is clad in the brighest of oranges, and would sport a Dutch flag/coat of arms, and these wonderful folks aren't doing either. So I looked up IG related to Dutch Armed Forces and it turns out we had 30 athletes competing in a variety of competitions, and these wonderful men and women brought back 18 medals (none of them in basketball though) !!!

Regardless of how one thinks about armed conflict/war and whether/how third parties should interfere (if at all), I am indeed proud of all participants (and the men and women who didn't go) and the determination they've show to make something of their lives after a lifechanging, armed force related event. Kudos to all of them.

Oh yeah, and that ginger guy, whose is he?

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
debbydeb

Gigantic Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: May 15, 2016, 07:48:09 PM »

I feel soooooo embarrassed...

You know until this pic I thought the IG were pretty much about Commonwealth veterans   -   still them shirts ain't ORANGE sir!!
ANY Dutch 'national' sportsman is clad in the brighest of oranges, and would sport a Dutch flag/coat of arms, and these wonderful folks aren't doing either. So I looked up IG related to Dutch Armed Forces and it turns out we had 30 athletes competing in a variety of competitions, and these wonderful men and women brought back 18 medals (none of them in basketball though) !!!

Regardless of how one thinks about armed conflict/war and whether/how third parties should interfere (if at all), I am indeed proud of all participants (and the men and women who didn't go) and the determination they've show to make something of their lives after a lifechanging, armed force related event. Kudos to all of them.

Oh yeah, and that ginger guy, whose is he?

I thought they were plenty orange

Funny thing when they gave Harry some very big clogs and Harry was like "are you trying to say something here?" Haha something about shoe size and size of...
other things?

But I agree with you about how inspiring they are.

A friend of mine told me: no matter where you stand about war,
you can always respect the will power these women and men show. To not only survive getting their four limbs blown off, or to manage severe trauma and PTS. But recover and then achieve things like what we've seen last week...

wow. I think that was what is the most inspiring. To see them not only recover but inspire people and give back (by mentoring new returnees, amputees, or ongoing therapy patients...) Brings tears to my eyes. The camaraderie on the track and in the pool and elsewhere... so amazing to see.

And that highlights reel Thistle posted... noooo tugged at my heartstrings.

Can't believe it's only 12 months left til the next invictus.

InvictusToronto youtube site has already posted their promo reel.
Get Ready!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=35TDde812S4
LDJJ

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: May 15, 2016, 08:43:05 PM »

Actually it's 16 months as they are in September.  Gives me more time to save for the trip to Toronto!
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: May 16, 2016, 04:27:59 AM »

Ummm When is Billy the Plumber going to take over this Charity please?? Banana

Harry is getting too popular and we can't have that  Dead

signed,

Billy the Plumber's Uriah Heap

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: