Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King George VI & Queen Elizabeth (Queen mother)  (Read 16993 times)
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »

Don't know if it's being shown elsewhere, but at 7 tonight (CST), the Chicago-area PBS station is airing a program called "Royal Wives at War" about the QM and Wallis Simpson.
http://schedule.wttw.com/...86455/Royal-Wives-at-War/

I'll be flipping back and forth btwn that and the Emmy Awards Tongue
CyrilSebastian

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2017, 11:29:35 PM »

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the Royal Garden Party of 1937.     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMfsWcr6gwA
apn324

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 08:54:13 PM »

Hi,

I'm looking for someone who knows a lot about the Queen Mother, especially her day to day routines. I know somethings about her and Clarence house but I need more information for a series of paintings I am working on. Most of my questions now regard dining. My first painting I am working on is of Lady Diana and the Queen Mother at breakfast on February 25, 1981. The day after the engagement was announced. I have looked through some books I own on royal dining but I haven't found all the answers I need.

To start with

Where would the Queen Mother eat breakfast at Clarence House? I know she liked the french habit of eating in different rooms but I can't find where breakfast would be set up.

For someone who knows her patterns well what do you imagine she wore to an everyday breakfast in the early 80s?

What would she eat for breakfast? I know she liked orange juice.

Does anyone know about her everyday china or even flatware?

Would flowers be on the table? I know they wouldn't be at BP.

Any answers or additional information would be very helpful. I believe I have all of the books on Clarence house that exist after 1950, but I don't have any besides the Clarence House one on the QM.

You can let me know in this thread or PM me.

Thanks so much to whomever can help!
Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2017, 04:35:04 AM »

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the Royal Garden Party of 1937.     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMfsWcr6gwA

I find it interesting, particularly in footage from the 1930s that some of the Royal ladies wore long dresses at garden parties, while other members of the family such as Princess Marina, Princess Marie-Louise, and Lady Patricia Ramsay opted for knee length dresses.
Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2017, 04:46:55 AM »

Hi,

I'm looking for someone who knows a lot about the Queen Mother, especially her day to day routines. I know somethings about her and Clarence house but I need more information for a series of paintings I am working on. Most of my questions now regard dining. My first painting I am working on is of Lady Diana and the Queen Mother at breakfast on February 25, 1981. The day after the engagement was announced. I have looked through some books I own on royal dining but I haven't found all the answers I need.

To start with

Where would the Queen Mother eat breakfast at Clarence House? I know she liked the french habit of eating in different rooms but I can't find where breakfast would be set up.

For someone who knows her patterns well what do you imagine she wore to an everyday breakfast in the early 80s?

What would she eat for breakfast? I know she liked orange juice.

Does anyone know about her everyday china or even flatware?

Would flowers be on the table? I know they wouldn't be at BP.

Any answers or additional information would be very helpful. I believe I have all of the books on Clarence house that exist after 1950, but I don't have any besides the Clarence House one on the QM.

You can let me know in this thread or PM me.

Thanks so much to whomever can help!

Queen Elizabeth usually had breakfast in her bedroom at Clarence House.  She was not known as an early riser.  Even when she was first widowed and Princess Margaret was living with her, they both breakfasted in their own rooms.   She followed the same routine at Royal Lodge, but when staying at Birkhall or the Castle of Mey and had houseguests she would occasionally join them for breakfast in the dining room.    Breakfast outdoors at any time, at any location would not be something any member of the Royal Family would enjoy regardless of how much they like it at other times of the day.

I know nothing about her favourite china or silver, but there would not have been flowers on the breakfast table at the rare times she left her room for the first meal of the day.  It's likely there would be flowers on the sideboards, but not on the table at breakfast.
apn324

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2017, 05:25:38 PM »

Thank you, yes I read about her preference for breakfast in bed but I know she dined with Diana the morning of February 25 and I don't think it would be in the formal dining room.  Does anyone know what the Clarence House stationary looked like in the 80s?  Also what type of champagne glasses do any of you imagine was used at Clarence House in the 80s?
Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »

Thank you, yes I read about her preference for breakfast in bed but I know she dined with Diana the morning of February 25 and I don't think it would be in the formal dining room.  Does anyone know what the Clarence House stationary looked like in the 80s?  Also what type of champagne glasses do any of you imagine was used at Clarence House in the 80s?

The stationary used at Clarence House was the same in the 80s as it was in the 70s and 90s, and probably the 60s.  Her official coat of arms centered with "Clarence House" underneath and "S.W. 1" under that, all in scarlet.  This paper would have been used by anyone living or working in the house, including house guests.   Queen Elizabeth  also would have used it at times, but for personal letters, she generally used stationary with her personal monogram in the upper left corner and "Clarence House" in the upper right in raised lettering in dark blue.

http://www.postalhistory.co.uk/258021.jpg
Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2017, 05:23:43 PM »

I know she dined with Diana the morning of February 25 and I don't think it would be in the formal dining room. 

No.  The dining room at Clarence House gets very little natural light being shadowed by Lancaster House.  Hostesses of Queen Elizabeth's calibre and generation believed in using such rooms in the evening for entertaining.   If she and Diana breakfasted together, my guess is that the Garden Room would have been used as it is already light and cheery in the morning.  I do know that she often held luncheon parties there for smaller groups of people.
apn324

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2017, 11:13:29 PM »

Thank you for all your help.  Did the Queen Mother have a favorite champagne?
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2017, 11:28:49 PM »

Well, Mumm's of course ...  Roll Eyes
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2017, 01:11:28 AM »

Yes, Dio dear, but what year? Tongue
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »

Or perhaps la Veuve Clicquot ? The merry widow??

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Hester
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Sudan Sudan

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2017, 02:33:23 AM »

You could write to the housekeeper at Clarence House and I'm sure they wouldn't need permission to answer the less personal of your questions - e.g. the champagne glasses ...  Just mark it Attn Housekeeper, Clarence House
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: