Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Victoria  (Read 23429 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »

A rumour I heard was that there was an argument or discussion between Victoria and her eldest son with concern of the choosen partner of princess Louise, John Campbell, Marquess of Lorne, heir to the Dukedom of Argyll.  Edward was apparently against the marriage based on several reasons.

Another strong rumour was that John Campbell was gay or bisexual. I wonder if Victoria ever heard this rumour and what she thought of it.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 11:17:16 AM »

A flighty fictional (love) story about Victoria with Romy & Magda Schneider:

Mädchenjahre einer Königin (Victoria in Dover; The story of Vicky)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51f5Edi7R3Y

This movie was shot before the Sissi trilogy which made Romy Schneider famous.

Oh I've seen it! Actually I have the dvd box

Hahahaha, my mother and I used to have the video box Wink   Smiley  Most of those Sissi boxes also contain this Victoria movie.
Martina91

Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Princess Gabriella rules the world!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 11:18:05 AM »

Hahahaha, my mother and I used to have the video box Wink   Smiley  Most of those Sissi boxes also contain this Victoria movie.

exactly! I have that! When I was a teen I was obsessed with Sissi

Princess Gabriella doesn't have time for Monaco's outdated succession law!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »

exactly! I have that! When I was a teen I was obsessed with Sissi

Aaahhh a soulmate  Wink  Smiley
NoviceDisher

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 04:14:43 PM »

She indeed is an interesting person, even in the medical science. The latter is based on the occurrence of hemophilia in her progeny.

Hemophilia ?

Is Queen Victoria related to the last Tsar of Russia then ? I know a son of theirs had Hemophilia and how the whole Rasputin thing started because of it.
NoviceDisher

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »

Any good library will have "Dearest Child" and "Dearest Mama", which are collections of letters between Queen Victoria and her daughter Vicki, the Princess Royal. They are thoroughly enjoyable. It's been decades ( Yikes) since I read them but I still remember a letter from Vicki in which she describes her visit to a harem somewhere in, IIRC, North Africa  - fascinating. You really get a feel for Victoria the person.

I need to find it in a Library or a used book store. Amazon USA has hardcover versions for $48 plus  Yikes. My library is the digital kind though..they have Twilight type books, not very great in classic British royal books as we are American.  Roll Eyes. But I will hunt it down.   Grin

Thanks for the rec.
NoviceDisher

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 04:24:03 PM »

Thanks for the rec Principessa, I can't identify the language though, but I think it is not French, Spanish or German,,, Blush. Not a cultured European with a flair for languages here.. Blush. I shall watch it though...Thanks
NoviceDisher

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »

Thanks Keiserin, Celia and Princess Blue Eyes for the book recs.

Princess Blue Eyes and LuvCharles for the history.

Much appreciated.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 04:31:58 PM »

She indeed is an interesting person, even in the medical science. The latter is based on the occurrence of hemophilia in her progeny.

Hemophilia ?

Is Queen Victoria related to the last Tsar of Russia then ? I know a son of theirs had Hemophilia and how the whole Rasputin thing started because of it.
Victoria's second daughter Alice was the mother of the last czarina Alexandra. Thru that line the hemophilia came to Russia.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Princess BlueEyes

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 05:39:38 AM »

Hemophilia ?

If I remember my history lessons correctly,

King George of England, Tsar Nicholas of Russia and Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany were cousins.

Nicholas II - the last tsar of Russia under Romanov rule, was married to Alexandra the daughter of  Princess Alice of the United Kingdom and Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse.
Princess Alice was the daughter of Queen Victoria and Albert.

George and Nicholas were first cousins as their Danish mothers were sisters.
Nicholas' wife Alexandra was also a first cousin to George on his father's side as her mother was Alice the daughter of Queen Victoria and George's father was Edward VII the son of Queen Victoria.

Kaiser Wilhelm's mother was Queen Victoria's daughter Victoria.

luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »

Queen Victoria was often called 'The Grandmother of Europe' due to the number of her children and grandchildren who ended up on thrones as monarch or consorts (remember that many German states had their own princes/granddukes etc who still had some degree of prestige even after giving up most of their power due to the unification.

Victoria - married the heir to the Prussian throne and then to the German Imperial throne so she became Empress of Germany and the mother of the last Kaiser. She had other children who also married into other royal houses: daughter Charlotte became the consort of the Duke of Saxe-Meiningen; Sophia became the Queen Consort of Greece as the wife of King Constantine (and thus was an aunt of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh)

Albert Edward - of course became the King/Emperor on the death of his mother and his descendants are still the British royal family - but also the Norwegian royal family as his youngest daughter was the first Queen Consort of Norway.

Alice - Alice had four daughters with the eldest being Victoria who married Prince Louis of Battenburg who was the father of Lord Louis Mountbatten and another Alice who married Prince Andrew of Greece - Prince Philip's parents. Their most famous daughters though were the two that married into the Russia royal family - Elizabeth and her younger sister Alexandra, the last Tsarina.

Alfred - who inherited the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha title from his uncle Ernest (Ernest had no children and so the title past to his brother's line but Albert-Edward agreed to pass that title to his younger brother to prevent another situation of the merging of the British monarchy with a German state). Alfred's daughter, Marie became Queen Consort of Roumania

Helena - had a number of children but I can't find a record of any of them becoming the consort of a ruling/reigning family but others might be able to do so

Louise - had no children

Arthur - his daughter Margaret became the Crown Princess of Sweden and interestingly, even though she was marrying the future King of Sweden she still married at St George's Chapel in Windsor and not in Sweden (Vicky also married the Crown Prince of Prussia in England and not in Prussia as the belief was that marrying into the BRF was superior to marrying into some smaller European one although Alfred did marry in Russia). The current Swedish royal family descend from Margaret and her daughter Ingrid married Frederick of Denmark taking Queen Victoria's genes into the Danish family.

Leopold - son followed Alfred as Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as Alfred's male heirs died

Beatrice - her daughter Eugenie married the King of Spain and the current Spanish royal family descended from her

Now - to confuse matters further - Christian IX of Denmark was known as the Grandfather of Europe at the same time due to the marriages and descendants of his 6 children and the intermarriages between his and Victoria's descendants:

Frederick VIII - married and had two sons who became Kings - Christian who succeeded him as King of Denmark and Carl who was elected as King of Norway and reigned there as Haakon VII and who was married to his cousin Maud of GB daughter of Edward VII (first cousins as Maud's mother was Frederick's sister)

Alexandra - married Albert-Edward and thus became Queen Alexandra of GB and was the mother of George V and the above mentioned Maud and is the great-grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II

William - elected King George I of the Hellenes - and thus the Greek royal family come from this line. William is Prince Philip's grandfather

Dagmar - married Alexander II of Russia and was known as Empress Marie - mother of Nicholas II who married Princess Alix of Hesse, the daughter of Queen Victoria's daughter Alice

Thyra - became Crown Princess of Hannover but never Queen because Hannover lost the right to the title with the annexation of Hannover by Prussia and she was probably best known as the Duchess of Cumberland and Teviodale - British titles of which they were deprived by the Titles Deprivation Act but their descendants could ask for them to be reinstated - the present Prince Ernest of Hannover, husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco - is one of her descendants

This can get confusing but the two monarchs - Victoria of GB and Christian of Denmark are the ancestors of pretty well every monarch in Europe between them these days and many are a descendant of both of them.

The haemophilia went from Victoria through her daughters into a number of royal houses - Russia and Spain - come to mind as the most obvious - through Alice and Beatrice with a number of the males dying from the disease over the next two generations but it seems to have died out now (now watch a new baby be born with it tomorrow just because I have made the suggestion).

rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »

^^ Helena was the only one of Queen Victoria's children who produced children but had no grandchildren. There were two daughters, Helena Victoria, (known as Thyra, or 'the Snipe' because of her long nose) who never married, and Marie Louise. Poor Marie Louise married Prince Aribert of Anhalt (one of those small German principalities) but the marriage was unconsummated and unhappy. Aribert was supposed to have been gay. There was a humiliating divorce, years later.

Helena and Christian also had two sons. Christian was killed in South Africa during the Boer War. He was unmarried. Albert was also unmarried, though he had an illegitimate daughter. Albert settled down in Germany and was in the German Army, though he wasn't on active service during World War One. He was unable to attend his father's funeral in 1917. He inherited a German Dukedom after the war from his cousin, Ernst Gunther.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »

I believe we have already mentioned the "Born to Rule" book by Julia P. Gelardi, an account of 5 granddaughters of Victoria, who became reigning consorts.
Maud, consort to king Haakon VII of Norway, daughter of Edward VII and Alexandra of Denmark
Sophie, consort to King Constantine of Greece, Daughter of Vicky and Friedrich III of Germany,
Marie, consort to king Ferdinand I of Romania, daughter of Alfred and Marie of Russia
Victoria Eugenie (Ena), consort to King Alfonso XVIII of Spain, daughter ofBeatrice and Henry, Prince of Battenberg
Alexandra, consort to csar Nicholas of Russia, daughter of Alice and LouisIV, Grand Duke of Hesse

Very good book...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
NoviceDisher

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »

A lot of history there all of which I do not know and in fact have never been exposed to.

Thank you so much Princess Blue Eyes, Fairy, Rosella and luvcharles.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 12:54:23 AM »

Hemophilia ?

Nicholas II, the last tsar, was married to princess Alix (Alexandra) of Hesse and by Rhine. She was the granddaughter of Victoria through princess Alice (Victoria's second daughter). If I am correct, Nicholas parents had their reservations against Alix (and didn't favor this match). But Nicholas was smitten and married Alix. Together they had 4 daughters (Olga, Tatiana, Maria & Anastasia) and 1 son (Alexei).  Alexei was the long-awaited son and heir. Great was the shock when he appeared to suffer from hemophilia. His mother Alix was a carrier of this disease and passed it to her son.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: