Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which of the 'cute little kids' will grow up to get 'The Yorkie Treatment'?  (Read 27267 times)
EstellesBows

Small Member

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2016, 05:49:22 AM »

Because this came up in another thread somewhere and got me thinking.

Named for Bea and Genie of York, "The Yorkie Treatment" is the name I've given to the effect where the public will happily love you as a 'cute little kid' Prince or Princess when you're a spare or a grandchild of a monarch who is a niece/nephew of the heir, not the child.....but once you take off your University graduation cap and toss it into the air, you're now a "leech" and the public turns on you.

Now to make it clear, I completely understand why taxpayers aren't thrilled about paying for even the King/Queen themselves, let alone a small litter of their grandkids. But in some of these situations, we've seen the kids suffer from being saddled with titles that in hindsight, they'd have been better off not being granted (Peter and Zara ended up being the lucky ones being 'just' Peter and Zara Phillips while 25 years ago, they were the 'poor kids' who 'didn't get to be" titled). I also think we have in some cases seen the 'surplus' Princes and Princesses be ill-prepared for the reality they'll need to work for a living one day and not rely on the fact that Nanny and Poppy are King and Queen.

It's made me wonder what the fates of the current kids will be in public opinion one day.

I think the surplus Danish Princes and Princesses could be in trouble of being maligned in 15 years. They have eight kids who are going to be adult Princes/Princesses of Denmark in the next 20 years. I can see why Nik was given a title....at the time, Derf wasn't anywhere near being married and Jokke and Alex were almost the DeFacto Crown Prince couple and they probably thought they'd have 2 kids and never saw a divorce and 2 more coming. Probably also assumed that when Derf got married, he'd have the heir and the spare....who could have predicted a bogan making sure she got knocked up with 2 more right when the divorce was looking imminent.

But now instead of a heir and a spare and 2 addition Princes, they have 8. I don't see it ending well for Izzy/Vinnie/Josie with their parents. At least Nik/Felix/Henrik/Athena are probably being prepared to have working lives.....and between them, they have smart mothers with their heads screwed.

I think Princesses Alexia and Ariane from the A-Team will be fine. The Dutch Royal Family did a very good job preparing Friso and Constantijn to have working lives outside being Princes of the Netherlands and Wax and Max seem to have good heads on their shoulders and I can imagine they'll be encouraging the girls to invest in good educations and to make the most of the opportunities and connections they'll be afforded as HRH Princesses of the Netherlands. I could see them going the Mabel/Laurentien routes where they use their titles to do worthwhile things but have largely fairly normal and productive lives. Won't hurt that I assume their kids will be Count/esses at most. I also have hope that Infanta Sofia in Spain will probably do a nice job as the 'extra princess' as she has wonderful parents.

I thinkPrincess Leonore and Prince Nicholas in Sweden will also be fine. With Chris' independent wealth, they're not going to be needing to to rely on the 'Swedish Taxpayer' very much and Chris has plenty of business connections and opportunities. I do think Prince Alexander and any future Slitz-lings could end up getting 'the Yorkie treatment' one day. By the time he/they are finishing with University, Victoria will well and truly be on the throne and with CG gone, CP is no longer going to be benefitting from 'favourite child' treatment, Sofia won't have Lindvall anymore, Estelle will be a working royal and Oscar will likely be in a similar role to Madde/CP where he fills in some 'gaps', maybe takes over something he really cares about (like Madde and Childhood) goes to the Nobles. The Snake kids and the O'Neills will be very minor royals.  I think the difference is Madde/Chris will be fine with it and SSSSSSSlitzfia won't be.

I don't know enough about the Belgians/Norwegians to comment on them.

I sometimes wonder what will end up of Harry's future kids......will they be the Yorkies of the next generation or will his general likeability save them all? Although I hope Harry and his future wife decide to go the route of styling the children as Viscount/Lady instead of HRH Prince/sses. It's worked very well for Louise and James.

i did not come to play with you hoes, i came to slay bitch.
Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 08:53:39 AM »

I think that Harry will go down the route of Edward's children choose to use courtesy titles rather than HRH as it's done Louise and James a lot of favours and will do when they're older.  Harry's probably see how private Edward's children are and finds that appealing.  He knows his brother's children need "to be seen" but his kids can be quite private. 

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 12:51:07 PM »

Prince Joachim and his wife are HRH because he is the son of a monarch. But only Fred's kids have HRH, all of Joachim's kids are HH (his or her highness) and are technically not royal.

I can't imagine Vincent/Josephine being on anyone's radar quite frankly. They are the Princess Anne and Prince Edward of the Danish Royal family.
AutumnOpal

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »

I think that Harry will go down the route of Edward's children choose to use courtesy titles rather than HRH as it's done Louise and James a lot of favours and will do when they're older.  Harry's probably see how private Edward's children are and finds that appealing.  He knows his brother's children need "to be seen" but his kids can be quite private. 

I'm not fully convinced yet that Louise and James have slipped the hook in terms of the Yorkie treatment.  They aren't old enough to be accused of being lazy but I've seen plenty of comments on Louise's eye condition and her "childish" wardrobe and some have even mentioned that they think James must have behavioral issues because he hasn't been seen at the Sandringham Christmas walk.

Regardless I feel for Harry's children-I know their Uncle won't help make it any easier for them.
EstellesBows

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 02:38:09 PM »

I'm not fully convinced yet that Louise and James have slipped the hook in terms of the Yorkie treatment.  They aren't old enough to be accused of being lazy but I've seen plenty of comments on Louise's eye condition and her "childish" wardrobe and some have even mentioned that they think James must have behavioral issues because he hasn't been seen at the Sandringham Christmas walk.

Regardless I feel for Harry's children-I know their Uncle won't help make it any easier for them.

I'm not convinced they'll escape it entirely, they're still going to always be QEII's grandkids/Chucks Niece and Nephew/Willnots Cousins, but I do think being much more sheltered from the public eye will make things easier for them. I know most of my British friends know who the Yorkies are, but only the 'royal watcher' friend would know who James and Louise are. Most of the comments on the Wessex kids are largely limited to royal forums and the comments section of the Daily Fail AFAIK.

periwinkle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 02:44:44 PM »

I think criticism of Louise and James is something different from the Yorkie Treatment. Mostly they live in the shadows and that is a good thing considering they are the queen's grandchildren and Edward and especially Sophie are fairly high profile as far as royals go. It is interesting that it seems like it will work out in the other countries where there is monarchy for all the reason you lay out. I am concerned about Denmark. There are eight grandchildren. The Schacks will probably find their ways Joachim and Marie are not stupid and go through bad publicity they will tell the kids to get jobs and not expect handouts. The children of Fred and Mary are the most vulnerable of all. They have parents who model excess and unchallenged privilege. Isabella if she wants the royal life has the best chance but only if she turns into Princess Anne and works her little tail off without extravagant tastes. But Denmark doesn't have the same opportunities to be royal it seems. When disasters happen royals don't show up. The twins are doomed and with little Josie's attitude expect interesting times when she's in her twenties.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 05:54:55 PM »

I think you've raised an interesting question. And I suspect it will be easier on the girls than the boys, as the girls may well marry someone from outside of Denmark and go on to live quite ordinary lives elsewhere, somewhat like the late Princess Ragnild of Norway. But where can a prince of Denmark go? I suspect they'd all be expected to hang out in Denmark and find some useful occupation, regardless of whether they have HRH or HH in front of their names.

Here's hoping the end up having exception ability in some area or other that will get them out of the endless royal circuit.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:11:47 PM »

Prince Joachim and his wife are HRH because he is the son of a monarch. But only Fred's kids have HRH, all of Joachim's kids are HH (his or her highness) and are technically not royal.

how do you figure that? They still belong to the royal family and are in the line of succession.

(His/Her) Highness is a formal style used to address (in second person) or refer to members of a reigning or formerly reigning dynasty.

At the conclusion of the Congress of Vienna in 1815, His/Her Highness (abbreviated HH), became prevalent for reigning dukes and members of their dynasties in Germany; for cadets of some German grand ducal houses, e.g., Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Oldenburg, Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach; and members of some imperial or royal families, e.g., Russia, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, Prussia, Yugoslavia.

Main members

The Danish Royal Family includes:

HM Margrethe II Alexandrine ??rhildur Ingrid, Queen of Denmark
    HRH Prince Henrik Marie Jean Andr? of Denmark
        HRH Prince Frederick Andr? Henrik Christian, Crown Prince of Denmark
        HRH Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth of Denmark
            HRH Prince Christian Valdemar Henri John of Denmark
            HRH Princess Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe of Denmark
            HRH Prince Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander of Denmark
            HRH Princess Josephine Sophia Ivalo Mathilda of Denmark
        HRH Prince Joachim Holger Waldemar Christian of Denmark
        HRH Princess Marie Agathe Odile of Denmark
            HH Prince Nikolai William Alexander Frederik of Denmark
            HH Prince Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian of Denmark
            HH Prince Henrik Carl Joachim Alain of Denmark
            HH Princess Athena Marguerite Fran?oise Marie of Denmark
    HRH Princess Benedikte Astrid Ingeborg Ingrid of Denmark, The Princess of Sayn-Wittenstein-Berleburg
    HM Queen Anne-Marie Dagmar Ingrid
    HH Princess Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Estrid Margrethe D?sir?e of Denmark

temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 02:17:32 AM »

how do you figure that? They still belong to the royal family and are in the line of succession.

(His/Her) Highness is a formal style used to address (in second person) or refer to members of a reigning or formerly reigning dynasty.

At the conclusion of the Congress of Vienna in 1815, His/Her Highness (abbreviated HH), became prevalent for reigning dukes and members of their dynasties in Germany; for cadets of some German grand ducal houses, e.g., Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Oldenburg, Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach; and members of some imperial or royal families, e.g., Russia, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, Prussia, Yugoslavia.

Main members

HRH Princess Benedikte Astrid Ingeborg Ingrid of Denmark, The Princess of Sayn-Wittenstein-Berleburg
    HH Princess Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Estrid Margrethe D?sir?e of Denmark

Yes they are part of the DRF and in the line of succession; but the idea of doing royal duties is not in their future.  They won't be supported by the Danish tax payer when they come of age.
EstellesBows

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 02:53:34 AM »

I think the Wonder Twins could end up just like Bea and Genie. They already show signs of having been raised with a very entitled upbringing which I suspect doesn't include being prepared for fact they'll need to go and get jobs in the future. Not way does Yrma think her marriage saving twins should have to work and Floppy Frodo is a useless parents who loves his kids, but can't muster up the emotional energy to be a good parent it seems.

Denmark isn't big enough to need X + Spouse, Izzy + Spouse AND the twins and their spouses to all be full time working royals in 25 years time. I agree that if Izzy is prepared to just get in and work hard by taking the 'less glamorous' jobs, she might be able to be what Anne and Jokke are now. But the twins can't reasonably expect to live as working royals and will have to follow the Shack kids into the workforce. School might sort her out, but if Josie is anything like she is now when she is 25, I think we'll have a girl very cranky her brother 'gets it all' while she has to go and get a job.

EstellesBows

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 02:59:06 AM »

Main members

Yes they are part of the DRF and in the line of succession; but the idea of doing royal duties is not in their future.  They won't be supported by the Danish tax payer when they come of age.

I think the difference is that the Shack kids are likely prepared for that. Nikolai will be 17 in the summer, I imagine Jokke and Marie have had conversations with him already about schooling and the future and careers he can undertake.

But I think Josie and Vinnie are 'surplus' to requirements and only the heir and maybe the spare are truly 'needed'. I don't think the Danish taxpayer will be happy to pay for Josie and Vinnie when they come of age....and I suspect they'll only be willing to support Izzy if she works as hard as Anne or the BRF or Jokke (he's smug and arrogant but I can't deny he has ten times the work ethic of his useless brother) and is willing to take on the 'unglamorous' jobs and doesn't inherit her mother's extravagant taste.

lilyrose

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 09:05:27 PM »

I don't know enough about the Belgians/Norwegians to comment on them.

Norway will be fine. They really just have Ingrid and Sverre--Martha Louise's children aren't princesses. I think they will be similar to Spain, where the elder sisters reign as queens with the support of their sole younger sibling, no huge royal families there. Belgium is different, and I guess we will have to wait to see how that is handled. Obviously Elisabeth's children will be HRH Prince/ss of Belgium, and with the succession law change, will Eleonore be given the same treatment as her aunt Astrid where her children are given titles too? If all of Philippe's children have just two children, that's already 8, and that's not even considering Louise and the twins, or whether or not the children of the Austria-Estes (minus Amedeo) will pass on their Belgian princely titles.

I think the best case scenario for Belgium would be to do what they do in the Netherlands and UK, and limit the title to the children and grandchildren of a monarch, with special nobility titles for the more distant relations.
JessDawn

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 09:35:54 PM »

This caught my attention. Thanks, EB!

About the DRF:

The Shacks will get a life of their own and jobs. Understood. It would be interesting to see Izzy being a supporter of X in his CP years and when he's on the throne (In that she wouldn't be THAT needed unless X's heir/heiress is not of age). Can V&J handle being minor representatives? X and wife will need help, and they will get it from Izzy and husband. V&J will be just like Madeleine, I suppose.

jigmesjigga

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »

Internationally, there are only two little kids who get major attention - George and Charlotte.  I don't think most Americans would be able to name any of the other royal kids.  If and/or when Harry marries and has children those kids will get the Yorkie treatment, for sure.

It seems like the media is only interested in these kids when they are bachelors/bachelorettes and unless they marry somebody interesting, they tend to get dropped by the media when they marry some boring middle-class person. (You rarely hear about Edward and Sophie, even in the British press). Plus the media is more fascinated by the rich people who are conspicuous consumers and show-offs - i.e. Maria-Olimpia of Greece, Marie-Chantal of Greece, the Casiraghi/Santo Domingo/Borromeo clan.  The Daily Fail is only interested in Mary because she's Australian as are most of their editors/writers and her PR makes it easy for them to publish fluff about her.  Most of the consort wives aren't nearly as frivolous as she is.

I think as Jacques and Gabriella of Monaco grow up, media interest in them may increase and the (slight) media interest in Albert's illegitimate kids will decrease to nothing.

Harley
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »

Considering the large spanish speaking part of the world, I'd imagine (without knowing) that there's at least SOME international interest in Leonor and Sofia outside of Spain. IMO, there's only a real interest in the BRF in the countries that speak English as their official language/mother tongue. To the rest of us, they're irrelevant and not interesting.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: