Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Duke of Westminster has passed away  (Read 12747 times)
BaronSulney

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »

The Duke of Westminster has passed away suddenly aged 64. RIP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37029915

This means Hugh Grosvenor (godfather to PG) is now the 7th Duke - not easy to deal with the death of your father and run the largest estate in Britain, all at only 25 years old  Sad
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:02:37 PM by BaronSulney » Logged
Ellie

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:12 PM »

I just heard about this. RIP. My prayers to his family.

It must be especially rough on poor Hugh. He is so young. So was his father, really.
Duchessof757
Banned
Banned
Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:05:34 PM »

This caught me by surprise. He was rather young, only 64. So sad.

Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Aquamarine for March

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 10:06:03 PM »

RIP. 64 is young to die  Sad
I had no idea his son was so young, given the ages of his older sisters (36 and 34).
LDJJ

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:14:10 PM »

I just saw this on Twitter.  That's really sad.  Prayers for his family.  Hopefully his son can get a handle on things.  Young age to lose his father and have all this drop into his lap.
Olya

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 10:39:09 PM »

Very shocked about this. Gerald was too young to go and Hugh is too young to have to take all that over...
Best wishes to the family, hopefully they'll somehow get through their sudden loss.
kbart

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 10:48:52 PM »

This is very shocking news. The Westminster family are very closely linked to the British RF. Hugh, the new Duke, is PGeorge's godfather. The late Duke's wife Natalia is PWiliiam's godmother. Natalia's family are very closely linked to the Mountbattens and Philip. She is a direct descendant of Tsar Nicholas I and also of Pushkin! QE2 and Philip used to stay at her grandparents' house Luton Hoo. The late Duke also had many connections himself - his sister Leonora was married to a cousin of the Queen (on the Bowes-Lyon side) the late Earl of Lichfield (his sister Elizabeth Anson organises many parties for the Queen). His other sister Jane was married to the Duke of Roxburgh at whose home, Floors Castle, Andrew was said to have proposed to Sarah Ferguson..... it goes on and on. Sad news.
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Debbers and Bruners. (Thanks Pomme)

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 05:45:07 AM »

Shocked to see this news on the BBC this morning. Such a burden for a 25 year old to take on. Gerald Grosvenor was far too young to be taken. Condolences to his family.

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her best— you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 07:19:27 AM »

He hadn't been sick?

So maybe stroke?

There's a feeling I get when I look to the West....and my Spirit is crying for leaving
rosella

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 07:31:26 AM »

He hadn't been sick?

So maybe stroke?

Maybe, or perhaps a heart attack. He looked a bit gaunt in the last few photos I saw of him so he might have had heart trouble.
LadyCate

Warned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:23:38 AM »

sad news - shocking too.

He inherited the title when he was only 28. 

There had been rumors that he had battled with cancer a few years ago - some said lung cancer as he had been a heavy smoker. He had lost a lot of weight in the last few years.  The papers seem to think it was a heart attack. 

I feel bad for his family - this was sudden and makes it so much harder.  He was such an interesting man - seemed rather sensitive and he had suffered from depression.  Seemed quite a decent person too.

Ellie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 08:46:59 AM »

I've read he was recently pouring his money into a rehabilitation center for wounded servicemen and women. I hope Hugh continues with the massive philanthropic example his father started.
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 11:11:24 AM »

I've read he was recently pouring his money into a rehabilitation center for wounded servicemen and women. I hope Hugh continues with the massive philanthropic example his father started.

Didn't Hugh acccompany Harry last year in summer to Africa? If so I guess he did hear a lot of stories about veteran charities (and more) if he didn't even know all about it from his father and Charles and Philip.  Wink

I'm sorry for him being burdened with such a fortune, title and the responsibilities (including the media intrusion now) at such a young age on top of losing a parent all of a sudden. I hope he, his family and true friends (not the users already attached to him *cough*whinyherocopilotinneedofajetandhislazywife*cough*  Whistle) will get through this difficult time together and manage to help him become a decent Duke who can handle the legacy.

Witchell: Clearly a greater share of royal burden will fall on you and as that happens you will grasp it willingly?
Will: Absolutely willingly. And as that time comes I'll be the first person to put my hand up and take it on. But [] my grandfather is so active [] and unwilling to slow down.
Roll Eyes
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 11:14:40 AM »

WOW!! Quite a shock. RIP.

ETA: DM is reporting that he had an heart attack.

The C's already issued a statement:

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were very sad to learn of the Duke of Westminster?s passing yesterday. Their thoughts are very much with his family this morning."

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
leatherface

Large Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 12:29:43 PM »

WOW!! Quite a shock. RIP.

ETA: DM is reporting that he had an heart attack.

The C's already issued a statement:

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were very sad to learn of the Duke of Westminster?s passing yesterday. Their thoughts are very much with his family this morning."

The Cambs strike me as opportunistic grifters wanting to get in on the ground floor.  They show their care and compassion and extend their friendship when Hugh is vulnerable so as to lock him in and keep the freebies coming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: