Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women's March on Washington - January 21, 2017  (Read 6638 times)
freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

BooHoo Sugars

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »

Nope.

I'm a conservative and don't support the current administration (I changed my party affiliation after the primaries out of disgust), but as a female conservative I am never welcome at these sorts of things. I don't fit in. Which is fine. lol

I'm not a conservative but I, too, am not welcome at these types of events.  As a female of color who doesn't subscribe to the hive mind expected of people like me (I'm dark skinned therefore I must be [insert appropriate identity politic adjective])
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:06:00 PM by freethespoon » Logged

Ain't nobody got time for Mary's sh*t.
Barmorska

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »

I am attending the Portland, Oregon march.
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »

girls,what's this march about?
i clicked on the link but got mostly practical informations.

is it a world march? over here i've never heard anything about.

Equal pay for women, access to contraception are the reasons I'm going.

Some groups have other agenda's but I don't want my daughters to see their county go backwards.
Not worried about Trump on that regard, just things Congress has said

There's a feeling I get when I look to the West....and my Spirit is crying for leaving
ortensia

Huge Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »

Equal pay for women: this is an issue for private employment only ,I guess,no?.
Public workers can't have different pay due to their gender.at least certainly not here in Italy.
So as we are talking basically private workers: how can equal pay be reached?
Private employers do what they want with their employees pays: how this can be changed?who can change it?the government?not the government?we?

I am very interested in this issue and I'd like to know how different countries tackle this issue.
Ciao
freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

BooHoo Sugars

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »

Edited: Never mind.

Ain't nobody got time for Mary's sh*t.
Herazeus

Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 06:31:10 PM »

Equal pay for women: this is an issue for private employment only ,I guess,no?.
Public workers can't have different pay due to their gender.at least certainly not here in Italy.
So as we are talking basically private workers: how can equal pay be reached?
Private employers do what they want with their employees pays: how this can be changed?who can change it?the government?not the government?we?

I am very interested in this issue and I'd like to know how different countries tackle this issue.
Ciao

In Britain we have legislated for all eventualities. The Equality act 2010 was designed to cover any and all situations where employment inequalities might arise from equal pay disparity to marital status. It commenced October 2010. Read about it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equality_Act_2010

Prior to this act, between 1970 and 2009, there had been different legislative laws that covered specific situations eg Equal pay act 1970 designed to provide equal pay for men and women, the Sex discrimination act 1975 designed to remove discrimination based on gender, race relations act 1976 designed to remove doscrimination based upon race, disability act 1995 designed to remove discrimination based upon disability etc. There were laws to remove discrimination based upon sexuality, religion, marital status and many more situations.

I think the all-encompasing Equality act 2010 was created because one can't be sure of discriminatory situations that may exist for which no specific laws have been written. It incorporates all the other laws already in place as listed above, and extends them into any and all discriminatory situations where ever they arise.

It is applicable for public and private companies.

It doesn't mean that we've achieved perfect parity in terms of equal pay, but as the law exists, it's possible to sue your employers. And some women have done so.

Overall, my idealist self that hopes for Utopia doesn't think that fair play should be legislated, but the world isn't fair and people will get away with stuff if they think they can, so i welcome legislation as a way to right this particular inequality.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:40:01 PM by Herazeus » Logged
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »

Oakland, California just because I can't quite swing the cost of a plane ticket to DC.
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »

The equal rights amendment never passed Congress

There's a feeling I get when I look to the West....and my Spirit is crying for leaving
Herazeus

Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »

Yikes Ranting Real mad Thumb down

WHAT?!?!

In 2017?!?!

In the only super power left in the world?!

Count me official dumbstruck.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 10:33:52 PM »

WHAT?!?!

In 2017?!?!

Oh, you'd be amazed at the backward sh*t that still passes/isn't overturned by our local and state legislatures each year.  A few years ago, some dumbass in the Wisconsin legislature who, I kid you not, never married and still lived at home with his mother, tried to pass some law banning divorce.  This was maybe 4 or 5 years ago, not 70 years ago like one would assume.  

Then of course, Nevada had a lovely congressperson who literally believed that cancer was a fungus (we know this because she shouted it out in various interviews that had nothing whatsoever to do with her role as a congressperson).  We have some terrifyingly stupid people reaching great heights in this country.  

Lastly, let's not forget the delightful David Duke, the actual Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan who ran for president and actually had a fair number of people supporting him-not in the 1800s, but in the late 1980s.  

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »

One of the reasons our equal rights amendment failed was a massive negative campaign mounted by the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons). One friend of mine, then a very devout Mormon and an actual direct descendant of Brigham Young, was divorced by his wife and ostracized by the community simply because of his public support of the ERA.

The way it worked in the U.S. was that it had to be ratified by a certain minimum number of states in a set amount of time.  In addition to the LDS church, conservative anti-feminist leader Phyllis Schlafly mobilized her base, warning women that they would lose their rights if the ERA was ratified. (I know this makes zero sense). The deadline for ratification was in March 1979, later extended to June 1982. Five states -- Nebraska, Tennessee, Idaho, Kentucky and South Dakota -- actually rescinded their ratification.

I was living in New Orleans in June 1982, and when it was clear that the ERA had failed, I was part of a group that staged a traditional jazz funeral for the amendment. It was a very sad day.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 01:50:09 AM »

One of the reasons our equal rights amendment failed was a massive negative campaign mounted by the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons). One friend of mine, then a very devout Mormon and an actual direct descendant of Brigham Young, was divorced by his wife and ostracized by the community simply because of his public support of the ERA.

The way it worked in the U.S. was that it had to be ratified by a certain minimum number of states in a set amount of time.  In addition to the LDS church, conservative anti-feminist leader Phyllis Schlafly mobilized her base, warning women that they would lose their rights if the ERA was ratified. (I know this makes zero sense). The deadline for ratification was in March 1979, later extended to June 1982. Five states -- Nebraska, Tennessee, Idaho, Kentucky and South Dakota -- actually rescinded their ratification.

I was living in New Orleans in June 1982, and when it was clear that the ERA had failed, I was part of a group that staged a traditional jazz funeral for the amendment. It was a very sad day.

Oh, Phyllis Schlafly.  What a delight she was.  A woman who literally made a career out of working out of the home telling other women that they shouldn't work outside of the home.  Good riddance to her.  Sadly, she'd probably be appointed to a cabinet position today, but I digress and don't want to get divisive.

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
TexasBear

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 02:16:08 AM »

WHAT?!?!

In 2017?!?!

And no mandate for paid maternity leave, or even unpaid if you work at a company with less than 50 employees.  No

bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »

We are truly backward and I think after Friday, we will be stepping even further back.
temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 03:49:56 AM »

Thanks to everyone who responded. For me, this is quite out of character. It's my first March, first protest. Recently, I also did a training day for women who wish to get more politically active (!) I always think the older I get, the more set in my ways I am - but no, I am still learning about who I am all the time and changing as I go! Makes me think I will never grow up!

For those of you heading to DC, here is a helpful resources to find bathrooms and places to charge your phone. It looks like the whole city has opened up to us.

https://www.washingtonian...harge-phone-womens-march/

For those of you participating in Sister Marches around the world - there are over 600 to choose from and the most recent estimates are that over 1.3 million people have registered to march. WOW. 

Look for me in the crowd - I will be the one wearing a red hat!
 Hug

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: