Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George H.W. and Barbara Bush both hospitalized  (Read 2860 times)
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« on: January 18, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/20...ge-h-w-bush-hospitalized/

I always liked Barbara. Here's hoping both recover.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 06:57:32 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/20...ge-h-w-bush-hospitalized/

I always liked Barbara. Here's hoping both recover.

That's a shame (not that you liked Barbara-I meant about the hospitalization).  I also hope they recover quickly and are able to enjoy a few more healthy years of their lives. 

I'm a bleeding heart liberal, but I've always had a soft spot for George HW Bush.  And I absolutely fell in love with Barbara when she made remarks about Sarah Palin.  They seem like a loving couple, and they both seem like decent people.

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »

I turned sugar for Barbara during a speech at Wellesley college 1.June 1990:
"And who -- Who knows? Somewhere out in this audience may even be someone who will one day follow in my footsteps, and preside over the White House as the President's spouse -- and I wish him well."
Getter better soon, Barbara.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:50 PM »

"And who -- Who knows? Somewhere out in this audience may even be someone who will one day follow in my footsteps, and preside over the White House as the President's spouse -- and I wish him well."

She said that?  I like her even more. 

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »

A fantastic speech and given it was in 1990 it was pretty forward: http://www.americanrhetor...wellesleycommencement.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxhuPIzOIfc
Watch the entire speech, if you like, it is a great speech.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
onar

Small Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »

I couldn't even imagine any Republican mentioning this possibility! Maybe it's a chance for me to learn more about her!
onar

Small Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 08:16:56 PM »

Thank you, fairy, for giving us the link! I just watched, what a great speech!!!! A woman ahead of her time!
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 08:19:15 PM »

I remember screaming with surprise and adoration.... Incredible moment...

Mary's life motto:
Kaiserin

Large Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:30:54 PM »

I do not see why exactly this comment was fast forward back then. Wellesley is a college just for women, right? And she said that someone from the audience might follow HER in her footsteps, i.e. as the FLOTUS. To preside over White House as the spouse.

Fast forward would have been, in my eyes, to say "someone will one day come to White House as a president". Or "the first female president". Especially, I have read the speech, in connection with the foregoing paragraph of women now being in line for becoming CEO's.
Because becoming just "FLOTUS" is nothing you do ever achieve in your own right or because you got that excellent degree. FLOTUS you become when your husband is elected ...
and that remark is thus for me the most conventional part of her speech, which is, otherwise, very good.

Or what do I miss in her statement that made you all go awww?
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 09:05:23 PM »

I do not see why exactly this comment was fast forward back then. Wellesley is a college just for women, right? And she said that someone from the audience might follow HER in her footsteps, i.e. as the FLOTUS. To preside over White House as the spouse.

Fast forward would have been, in my eyes, to say "someone will one day come to White House as a president". Or "the first female president". Especially, I have read the speech, in connection with the foregoing paragraph of women now being in line for becoming CEO's.
Because becoming just "FLOTUS" is nothing you do ever achieve in your own right or because you got that excellent degree. FLOTUS you become when your husband is elected ...
and that remark is thus for me the most conventional part of her speech, which is, otherwise, very good.

She said "I wish HIM well" meaning the FLOTUS will be a man, so the POTUS will be a woman (I think she didn't mean a same sex couple in 1990  Wink).

Witchell: Clearly a greater share of royal burden will fall on you and as that happens you will grasp it willingly?
Will: Absolutely willingly. And as that time comes I'll be the first person to put my hand up and take it on. But [] my grandfather is so active [] and unwilling to slow down.
Roll Eyes
lothwen

Warned
Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »

She said "I wish HIM well" meaning the FLOTUS will be a man, so the POTUS will be a woman (I think she didn't mean a same sex couple in 1990  Wink).

That's what I took from it too. Yes, Wellesley is a woman's college,  but there were men in the audience too.

Kaiserin

Large Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 10:16:28 PM »

Star

Thanks, Suzy for pointing me to this.
That "him" escaped me and makes sense now that I know there were actually also men in the audience.
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 10:43:13 PM »

Star

Thanks, Suzy for pointing me to this.
That "him" escaped me and makes sense now that I know there were actually also men in the audience.

You're welcome.  Beer

Witchell: Clearly a greater share of royal burden will fall on you and as that happens you will grasp it willingly?
Will: Absolutely willingly. And as that time comes I'll be the first person to put my hand up and take it on. But [] my grandfather is so active [] and unwilling to slow down.
Roll Eyes
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »

Definitely not a Barbara Bush fan. Particularly ever since her famous remarks about the Hurricane Katrina evacuees who ended up in the Houston Astrodome after days of hell in the ruined city of New Orleans.  All I could hear was ignorant privilege talking.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/barbara2.asp
freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

BooHoo Sugars

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 11:28:17 PM »

Ignorant privilege seems to define most presidential families.

Ain't nobody got time for Mary's sh*t.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: