Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oscars 2017  (Read 2749 times)
Phina

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 08:30:55 AM »

Cowgrrl I'm with you - I so wanted Lin-Manuel to win.  He is a genius and seems the sweetest person.
Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Diamonds for April

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »

ooooh, love me some Viggo 

My favorite gown tonight was Chrissy Teigen in Zuhair Murad

ortensia

Huge Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 10:23:40 AM »

just surfed through the pictures of the gowns and my my what a night!

the oscar's really can pull out "your" inner slut and i don't like it at all.

if i had to choose a gown,i'd like to be given kate bosworth's because its color is wonderful even if the fabric is a bit stiff for my taste.

have you heard of karl lagerfeld vs meryl streep feud? do you believe stars want to be paid to wear some gowns? i do.
Herazeus

Warned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »

just surfed through the pictures of the gowns and my my what a night!

the oscar's really can pull out "your" inner slut and i don't like it at all.

if i had to choose a gown,i'd like to be given kate bosworth's because its color is wonderful even if the fabric is a bit stiff for my taste.

have you heard of karl lagerfeld vs meryl streep feud? do you believe stars want to be paid to wear some gowns? i do.

Yes.

It's a dirty secret no one wants openly discussed.

The designers don't want the actress to change their minds at the last moment as they used to do in the early days of the red carpet when their stylists would have several designers make a dress for the oscars whilst not committing to wearing the bespoke dress. The designer would find out whether or not their dress was the winner when the actress stepped on the red carpet.

Designers got tired of the (expensive) racket and started entering contracts with actors to pay them to dress them for the Oscars. Or tie the actor in contract to the label in general terms and add clause that the actor could only wear the label at certain red carpet events eg premieres, award shows, oscars or all of them. The actor gains because they are paid money + receive free clothing from the label. The downside for them is that they can only wear that label according to the terms of the negotiated contract.

And it's not just the actors who have these deals. Stylists do as well such that if you hire particular stylists, you will only have the option of their own negotiated designer/label contract (s) available to you rather than someone who will actively search out new and interesting designers.

That's why it's an issue that the red Carpet has become homogeneous and very boring because only the big labels can afford to do these deals. The money paid for these contracts is through the roof. As much as $100K to have an actress wear your dress for the oscars. It raises awareness of the label and revenue and designers think it's worth it, but only the big labels can afford to do this type of contract.

When an actress complains that no one will dress them, they are usually saying that no one will contract them. Nothing stops them going out and buying their own clothes or searching out someone new and interesting, but because they want to be paid and get free clothing, they complain that this very small pool of establishment designers won't do it. I get very annoyed every time this sort of thing flairs up because the public doesn't know or understand the commercial reality of the red carpet, especially the oscars, and these actors stoke emotional dog whistles to get the public upset on their behalf when the actor is simply throwing a public hissyfit to be paid to wear clothes.

Best example of this kind of deal is Armani. His contracts are much more subtly rendered because he doesn't make an announcement nor do his contract players show up in ads for the line as they do for Dior or LV contract players. At most, they show up for his runway shows and then only wear the label at their red carpets. They started doing this in the 80s before the RC had turned into a thing. Richard Gere and Jodi Foster were their first contract players, but it wasn't the smooth operation you see these days.

It's a shame though because Armani is the most boring, beige label ever. Look at how boringly they dress Cate Blanchett since she became a contract player. I noticed that Kidman wore Armani tonight and it was the only runway show she attended which means she's been contracted and is now going to bore us with their 'creations'.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:10:53 AM by Herazeus » Logged
ronda

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »

" Oscars 2017 stuff-up: World reacts to 'most awkward' Academy Awards ever."

http://www.smh.com.au/ent...land-20170227-gumcba.html

"The accountants for the Academy Awards have accepted responsibility for the mistake that led to the Oscars ending in chaos with La La Land wrongly named best picture winner instead of Moonlight."

http://www.smh.com.au/ent...nner-20170227-gum1fm.html

Smiley...Knowledge is Power...Smiley
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 01:33:40 PM »

What a disaster!!  Laughing Laughing Laughing

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 01:42:16 PM »

Seen on FB:

Who made in the USA the best movie??

lalalalalalalalalaaaaaaa
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »

So admittedly, it wasn't only about dresses, but about an epic fail as well ... wrong winner announcement ... WOW.

Scrolling trough best & worst dressed slideshows all over the fashion magazines, it seems to me as if it was a black/gold/nude boringness, dotted with only some reds.

Kirsten Dunst wins hands down for me, her black mullet dress is one of the most timeless gowns ever seen. Viola Davis rocked her red Dress.

As for the worst, well, there were several. But Scarlett Johansson leads the pack for me. Besides showing an ugly, never-seen-before tattoo beneath her left breast, she looked like a chubby girl sporting a Miley Cyrus wig & discarded snakeskin.

Nicole Kidman was again working on her "totally nude and only the lipstick shines out"-style - as bland as Anmer hall walls. Interesting tidbit: she has the same "I cannot clap"-disorder as Waity.

No words for Blanca Blancos wardrobe malfunction. I can understand gowns where you have to leave the bra at home (although not all women should do that), but a gown which does not allow the even tiniest brazilian string tanga ... sorry, folks, well deserved embarrassment.
temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 11:54:25 PM »

I never heard of Bianca Blanco until now! I guess there's a silver lining to everything!

Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 12:32:17 AM »

I guess 98% of the audience hadn't heard about her before yesterday (me neither).
But she will go down in history as the chick who wore a Brazilian on the red carpet.
Talk about 15 minutes of fame ...
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 01:39:55 AM »

Best photos of Oscar bling that I've seen, courtesy of The Court Jeweller:

necklaces
http://www.thecourtjewell...cklaces-of-2017.html#more

rings and bracelets
http://www.thecourtjewell...elets-and-rings.html#more

earrings
http://www.thecourtjewell...arrings-of-2017.html#more

My favorites are Taraji P. Henson's stunning necklace and massive emerald ring Drool
(also loved Meryl's antique earrings, but the photo here isn't close enough).
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »

Thanks for the links, editor  Star. Some gorgeous pieces!
Henson's necklace could double as a small kokoshnik tiara, I guess.

They should make the Oscars a white tie and tiara event.
That would show us some contemporary tiara designs (I mean, most of those great jewel companies who did the tiaras between 1880 and 1930 are still in business and would most probably gladfully lend out tiaras as well)
and would safe us from men wearing circus director outfits (looking at you, Jared Leto!) or their grandfather's shortened bathrobe like Terence Howard:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:47:57 PM by Kaiserin » Logged
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 08:39:39 PM »

Thanks for the links, editor  Star. Some gorgeous pieces!
My pleasure, Kaiserin Beer
cowgrrl

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 03:56:04 AM »

Despite the terrible fiasco, I'm so glad Moonlight won.  I saw it & Hidden Figures & LaLa Land and I really wanted Moonlight to win.  One of the most moving movies I've ever seen. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: