Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diana's Mystery Wardrobe- 1980s  (Read 672 times)
apn324

Baby Member

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »

As I have tried to confirm dates on many of my Diana press photos I have come across engagements that I had never heard of before.  Over the years I have been able to find photos for them, or at least a description of what Diana was wearing.  I thought it would be fun to start a thread where maybe we those who were interested could pool together our information and collections and maybe come across some interesting finds in Diana's sartorial history.  I'd like to focus on the 80s, especially the early 80s, because I've been going through everything in chronological order and I rely heavily on the London Times Court Circular and I don't believe Diana was still featured on it after the divorce was final.

https://s-media-cache-ak0...5feb9b6205ffbe089703c.jpg
1.  I'm pretty sure everyone knows this day well (May 22, 1981), but what most may not know is that that evening Diana and Charles attended a reception at Ewen Manor in Cirencester (source: London Times). 

I have looked in the fashion diary section of Jane Owen's book and there is no mention of what Diana wore that evening and the Diary, even though it isn't always right with the dates does include some rarer occasions so I was a bit disappointed.  I have a pretty large Diana collection and I have not been able to find this mentioned anywhere else.  I thought maybe it might have been photographed for a local newspaper...

2.  Diana's first visit to Cornwall as Duchess on April 26, 1982.  Not much known about the day just reported the day later that she visited several farms with the Prince of Wales as well as the ruins of the twelfth-century Restormel Castle (source: Times).

3.  That evening, April 26, 1982, the couple attended the Western District Audit Dinner at the Carlyon Bay Hotel, St Austell. (source: Times)

4.  April 27, 1982, attended with Prince Philip a dinner for the Guards Polo Club at the Civil Service College, Sunningdale Park.  (source: Times)

The above three occasions are also not in the Jane Owen's fashion diary.
I thought I would throw out a few couple of occasions that I know of that I do not have pictures of and do not know what Diana wore and wonder if anyone else did.

I also thought this could be a place where we could talk about lesser discussed pieces in her wardrobe and one piece I am wondering about was the red silk Chinese inspired skirt she wore the night of her engagement at Clarence House.  Does anyone know anything about that?

Also could someone let me know how to post images so they are embedded in the text and they don't just show up as links?  Thanks!

This is not just about finding photos for the dates, information about what Diana wore on these dates is valuable too, I may start a separate thread for photos for my mystery dates, that don't really have any relevance to what she was wearing, i.e. when she was traveling, etc.

And please include any information you may have about jewelry too and feel free to add your own dates/occasions.
onar

Small Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 09:02:56 PM »

great thread apn! Star
I can't explain how to post images this way because all the orders are in greek in my laptop and I'm not sure about the english expressions.
I'll try and I apologise in advance if it won't help you.
1. in the reply box, here in the forum, you select the button that says "insert image" (2nd from left, in the 2nd line above the emoticons) and this will appear
2. right click in the image you want to post and select the option "copy image location" - at least this is the greek translation
3. paste in between
apn324

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:13:21 PM »

Thank you.  I'm going to see try it and see if that works with the engagement dinner skirt-

apn324

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:13:46 PM »

Thank you so much!  It works!
onar

Small Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:28:25 PM »

I'm so happy I helped you! We did it!!!!! Jumping

edit: when I wrote "this will appear" I thought that the [img] that shows up when selecting the button, will appear even without a picture
NotAgain

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »

Thank you, thank you. This is such an excellent idea for a thread. I have never seen this red skirt. Here is what I found:
https://princessdianabook...-diana-engagement/page/4/

Looking forward to seeing more of Diana's wardrobe  Supercontent

ETA: love love how happy they both look...and the way Diana is standing. She was so very young.

I'm so happy I helped you! We did it!!!!! Jumping

edit: when I wrote "this will appear" I thought that the [img] that shows up when selecting the button, will appear even without a picture
apn324

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:06:30 PM »

Yes, the only time I have ever seen it in color is in video clips or still like in the link you posted.  I would love to know who designed it.  Has anyone else ever heard anything about the May 22, 1981 dinner?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: