Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Richard has passed away (13 March 2017)  (Read 18936 times)
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/...ne-fra-prins-richards-liv

Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Still not queen, Maz reacts

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 03:03:46 PM »

It's sad they didn't get to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary together.

According to this article they still don't know the cause of death. He had previously been treated for skin cancer and lymphoma but had recovered from those.

http://www.bt.dk/royale/h...gt-doedsfald-i-kongehuset

Bene wasn't there as she spent the weekend in Denmark taking care of horse business (sorry, not sure how to explain this in English). They say Prince Richard "slept peacefully until Monday afternoon". Is that a bad translation or what does it mean?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:13:42 PM by Suzerain » Logged
Nuno

Gigantic Member

Portugal Portugal

TM The King and Queen of Spain

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 03:43:10 PM »

Terrible news  No  Cry RIP.
Is he going to have some kind of state funeral - he's not the monarch, not even the consort, perhaps some kind of military honors, or am I wrong?

"You can call me Happiness...yes Queen Happiness. It sounds great!" - Queen Letizia, Red Cross 150th Anniversary Wink

"Hey Cristina, I'm the Queen now :D"
Tatini

Huge Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »

They made a lovely couple. I am sorry for Benedikte and her children
Trier1

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 03:55:50 PM »

Is he going to have some kind of state funeral - he's not the monarch, not even the consort, perhaps some kind of military honors, or am I wrong?
I hope he doesn't get a state funeral in Germany and please no military honours for him in Germany. We abolished monarchy and he didn't do anything for Germany that would justify such a thing. What Marge does in Demnark is different, if she wants to honour her late brother-in-law, fine, but please nothing official for him in Germany.
CathyJane

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »

So sad.  Sad
Harley
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »

I hope he doesn't get a state funeral in Germany and please no military honours for him in Germany. We abolished monarchy and he didn't do anything for Germany that would justify such a thing. What Marge does in Demnark is different, if she wants to honour her late brother-in-law, fine, but please nothing official for him in Germany.

Richard himself would probably have preferred things to be as private and nonroyal as possible. I always had the feeling from him that he married Benedikte the woman and that Benedikte the princess was something he would have lived happily without but had to take as well since it was a package deal.

I am sad that he's gone. And so suddenly - the whole family must be so shocked. Poor poor them. Sad It also worries me a lot that this is now the generation that's dying. Sad

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »

WOW....what a shocker!  Shocked I didn't expect that. They wrote that his health was failing, but I didn't think his health was so frail. Poor Benedikte and family...so sorrowful for them  Sad Sad

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »

oh terrible news. was he unwell? Confused Sad

G Sad

He had cancer a few years ago, but I thought he was in remission.  Thinking 

I doubt he'll get a state funeral.  He might get a "royal" funeral, but it will be at the expense of the family and not the taxpayers. 

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
Royalfan 72

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 06:05:42 PM »

I don't think there will be a big funeral as far as the number of guests is concerned. The churches in Berleburg are not that big and the palace chapel is pretty tiny.

Is a date known? Berleburg is just a 2,5 hours drive away from my place.

Sad news, realy.

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 06:10:19 PM »

IIRC, Richard used to tease Benny about all the royal pomp and circumstance in DK.  I always got the impression that he was one of those guys who was never impressed with royalty (or as much as one can be even if they have a title).  He'd probably want a no-frills funeral. 

Royalfan 72

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 06:21:20 PM »

http://www1.wdr.de/mediat...nstein-berleburg-100.html

I realy liked the show. He seemed to be so down to earth.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 07:49:07 PM »

Richard was truly a gem.  I love his sense of humor.  This was posted by Stig on the Scandinavian Royals Message Board:

On the sad occasion of Prince Richard's death I'll re-post this message - which I first posted here in 2009.

- - -

Prince Richard is not a person who keeps his thoughts to himself ? as these quotes from old interviews show. They are of course taken out of context, but at least they prove that it?s never boring to read an interview with him. He often speaks tongue-in-cheek and likes to tease his wife, so don?t take it all too seriously.

About his princely status:
"To be honest, I am not interested in titles at all ? unlike certain others in the family."

About the carefree royal life:
"The royals live a life completely different from everyone else?s. As soon as the gate is closed behind you, you are like in another world. They have lots of employees, and all problems except for the personal ones, are kept away from you. People take care of it. They have no financial problems, they only see the people they like to see, and they are terribly spoiled when they travel [...] You need to be born into that world to live like that."

Asked by Queen Elizabeth if he really thinks the royal life is so unusual:
"Yes! By God I think so. The only problems that are not swept away from you are those you have with your family."

About the royals on job:
"In the airport the children and I once stood in the crowd of people who hoped to get a glimpse of my wife and the Norwegian Queen Sonja. 'Mum', 'Benedikte', we called for her, but she neither saw nor heard us. It?s as if the royals develop a kind of tunnel vision when they are on duty."

About the wedding of Beatrix and Claus of the Netherlands:
"There we have the royal corner, a friend told me and nodded discreetly. It?s an old joke repeated everytime we meet at a big party, where Europe?s royal houses are represented, because the royals unfailingly gather in a corner for themselves. They sit together like a big family, and it?s only at parties in the Danish and Swedish royal houses I have seen this custom departed from."

About his wife:
"She is 99% Danish" ... "She can get pissed off, especially if I tease her about something Danish." ... "We are like night and day. Sometimes I wonder how we got children. I rise early in the morning, take a nap after lunch and go to bed early in the evening. She does the opposite."

About his rejection of a Danish princely title:
"I never regretted, and I never took the proposal seriously. Neither did I take it seriously when it was suggested from Danish quarters that I should give up Berleburg and settle in Denmark. I spat out a ?No? as fast as I could."

About his daughters? choice to become Danish citizens:
"I can?t say that I am proud [...] it?s different with their mother, she is overjoyed."

About Benedikte?s succession right:
"It would have meant a catastrophe for me if Benedikte had become queen. I was not born to that sort of life. Had it come to that, I should have had dentures by now, as I should have been grinding my teeth from morning till night."

About Queen Ingrid:
"Mother-in-law was downright unhappy that you chose me ? it was the last thing she wanted. She hated Germans right until her death. My luck was that Benedikte is as stubborn as her mother."

Asked why he hasn?t entered politics:
"I would have been elected if my father-in-law hadn?t become so furious. I ran in the local elections for CDU in 1968, but I was not allowed to be politically active if Benedikte should keep her place in the line of succession. She wanted that so much. This was the only time my father-in-law got really angry with me. Otherwise we had a fine relationship, and I was the only son-in-law who was allowed to tease him. Well, Benedikte cried, so I gave in. Okay-okay, I said, then I do nothing to get elected. Benedikte is so fond of her job. Too fond. She is always away from home ? but then again, it?s good for the marriage, ha-ha."

About Germany:
"We Germans are not one people. We speak the same language, but we are very different. A Bavarian hates a Prussian and so on. The biggest catastrophe was when Bismarck united the German empire under the reign of Wilhelm II. That gave Germany the belligerent image and led to two world wars."

About the upcoming reunification of East and West Germany in 1990:
"Chancellor Kohl is a donkey. He conceals what all of this will involve."

About faith:
"Religion does not matter at all to me. I know as little as anyone if there is a God or something else, but it means nothing for my part. I am a declared Protestant and I certainly don?t agree with the Pope, who preaches that you may only sleep with one particular woman to sire children. God is not to decide when I sleep with my wife, and if one should follow the Pope?s words, one could hardly ever have an intimate moment in the marriage."

About raising his children:
"If they lied, I spanked them with a whip. Both Gustav and the girls."

About his daughter Nathalie:
"I call her every day and ask: How are you, Nathalie? Immediately she starts talking about her new horse. I say: Nathalie, find yourself a lover! Ha-ha-ha-ha."

About Queen Margrethe:
"I learned a long time ago not to ask her about anything relating to Danish history. If I do, I get a never-ending lecture!"

About Prince Henrik:
"Some people find it problematic to be number three. I can only laugh. I am myself number 23 after wife, children, dogs and horses."

Asked if he speaks Danish with Prince Henrik:
"Yes, but I barely understand a word when he speaks Danish. He says the same about me, so that?s a thing we agree on."

About Crown Prince Frederik:
"I have warned him that if he speeds and runs somebody down, he will never become king."

About snobbery:
"The worst people are those who are stupid and snobbish at the same time. Conceit and snobbery combined in one person is the worst thing I know."

About temper:
"I can get really angry very quickly, but it?s always over the next day. And I don?t bear a grudge. A person who can?t live with that, should not be together with me. My wife gets offended once in a while, and then she phones her mother."

About his cancer:
"Princess Benedikte didn?t know how to help me, when I was ill. She can?t cope with illnesses, and she doesn?t tell me when she is ill herself. She tries to be kind ? she does. But I just don?t think she understands how hard it is to be ill."

About food:
"If Benedikte should cook our dinner, I would have died a long time ago. She can?t even make coffee."

About city life:
"I hate cities. Then you have to go shopping with your wife. It?s terrible ? a ground for divorce, ha-ha. It?s the worst you can do. Then she has to look at shoes, at least 20 pairs, it takes time, and none of them fits. Then we walk around the next corner to another shoe shop. I can?t stand it."

Ellie

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »

My thoughts and prayers to Benedikte, their children and grandchildren. RIP.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »

He will be greatly missed  Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: