Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Richard has passed away (13 March 2017)  (Read 18934 times)
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Still not queen, Maz reacts

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2017, 07:31:07 AM »

pixie!  Champagne Star Thanks for those quotes from Prince Richard! I loved them and I could read them all evening. I'd love to hear more of his thoughts. He indeed seemed like a very loveable character and one with a good head on his shoulders. I was astonished to read how honestly he talked about his marriage and family (especially all that stuff about the DRF   ) basically everything. So sad that he is no longer with us.

You're welcome!   Star  I also appreciate his honesty.  He provided great insights into his relationship with Benny and her family that we'd never normally get to read.  
Yes, he talked  a lot about Bene's reaction to his being sick. He said that she didn't care about sick people and had not been nice to him. That the two were like night and day, and he even wondered how they got kids Shocked

He said that Gustav was his rock during his illness. He also said that he's been surprised that the only person in the DRf to contact him in his misery was Henrik.

RIP

What kind of family doesn't give a sh!t about one of them being seriously ill? Richard always came across to me as a very honest, no BS kind of man, so I am thinking that want he said has some truth in it, which is a shame as I also thought Benedikte was a decent lady. I guess I was wrong. I find it so cruel that you wouldn't want to support your husband and father of your children in the worst time of his life.

I don't think he said she didn't care about sick people.

About his cancer:
"Princess Benedikte didn't know how to help me, when I was ill. She can't cope with illnesses, and she doesn't tell me when she is ill herself. She tries to be kind - she does. But I just don't think she understands how hard it is to be ill."
More on what he said here on Pixie's post: https://royaldish.com/ind...872.msg1061848#msg1061848

I think what this means is that she has rarely been very ill herself and isn't very good at being a nurse to someone, not that she doesn't care. Simply that she doesn't know how to act around someone who is severely ill. I don't think she comes off as some cruel woman from his comments, just one who was raised in a peculiar environment. Their marriage obviously worked and they seemed to love each other, despite being two very different people. To them it was good that she could spend time in her beloved Denmark from time to time.

Princess MS

Warned
Micro Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2017, 08:07:23 AM »

pixie!  Champagne Star Thanks for those quotes from Prince Richard! I loved them and I could read them all evening. I'd love to hear more of his thoughts. He indeed seemed like a very loveable character and one with a good head on his shoulders. I was astonished to read how honestly he talked about his marriage and family (especially all that stuff about the DRF   ) basically everything. So sad that he is no longer with us.

You're welcome!   Star  I also appreciate his honesty.  He provided great insights into his relationship with Benny and her family that we'd never normally get to read.  
Yes, he talked  a lot about Bene's reaction to his being sick. He said that she didn't care about sick people and had not been nice to him. That the two were like night and day, and he even wondered how they got kids Shocked

He said that Gustav was his rock during his illness. He also said that he's been surprised that the only person in the DRf to contact him in his misery was Henrik.

RIP

What kind of family doesn't give a sh!t about one of them being seriously ill? Richard always came across to me as a very honest, no BS kind of man, so I am thinking that want he said has some truth in it, which is a shame as I also thought Benedikte was a decent lady. I guess I was wrong. I find it so cruel that you wouldn't want to support your husband and father of your children in the worst time of his life.

About his cancer:
"Princess Benedikte didn't know how to help me, when I was ill. She can't cope with illnesses, and she doesn't tell me when she is ill herself. She tries to be kind - she does. But I just don't think she understands how hard it is to be ill."
More on what he said here on Pixie's post: https://royaldish.com/ind...872.msg1061848#msg1061848

I think what this means is that she has rarely been very ill herself and isn't very good at being a nurse to someone, not that she doesn't care. Simply that she doesn't know how to act around someone who is severely ill. I don't think she comes off as some cruel woman from his comments, just one who was raised in a peculiar environment. Their marriage obviously worked and they seemed to love each other, despite being two very different people. To them it was good that she could spend time in her beloved Denmark from time to time.

My read on all this is that he had a fine wit and a spark - even those of us who mangle "english" don't recognise the "humour" of another country. I have spent most of my life in Australia, but also worked in US, NZ, and UK - and a lot of the expressions etc and what they meant could be a challenge. So from German to Danish to English . . . . in this case I say "sleep well sweet prince"
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2017, 01:18:20 PM »

If Benedikte should cook our dinner, I would have died a long time ago. She can?t even make coffee

Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
star555

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2017, 10:16:59 PM »

Here is a link to a fairly recent documentary about Richard and the family. Wish I could understand what they are saying - Richard seems like quite a character!

https://vimeo.com/87259683?ref=fb-share&1
kbart

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2017, 12:48:32 AM »

Thanks for posting this documentary, it was really quite fun to watch. Prince Richard really was a character, witty, jovial, open. A few observations: Father and son Gustav obviously very, very close. Benedikte and both daughters also spoke. Alexandra spoke of her mother's keenness on etiquette and the fact she has kept menu books since her first days at Berleburg. A couple of funny stories paraphrased: When the interviewer and P Richard were driving through the estate they passed a pond (which didn't look very inviting) and he said that when Benedikte had first come he had suggested they swim there and she'd basically said No way. Another one where he was so drunk at a crab supper sitting next to Q Anne-Marie that he had fallen off his chair twice. Both P Richard and Gustav said that when the royal relations visit there is no extra fuss made and they are used to that. Similarly the Berleburgs are used to attending royal events in Denmark where they say everything is terribly well organised. He seemed to love nature and get on well with his staff. Thanks again.
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »

Marge, Dame, the Derfs and the Shacks will all attend the funeral.

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
LouiseH

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2017, 04:46:08 PM »

Pixie I also want to thank you for the quotes from Prince Richard.  I burst out laughing reading them.
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2017, 05:00:15 PM »

Here is a link to a fairly recent documentary about Richard and the family. Wish I could understand what they are saying - Richard seems like quite a character!

https://vimeo.com/87259683?ref=fb-share&1

This is very interesting to watch! I wish my German was better but I can understand it pretty well (I wish there were subtitles though, I feel I'm missing a lot of the jokes etc.). It was interesting to hear that Benedikte and Richard spoke Swedish together when they met at the wedding of Beatrix and Claus. I never knew that Bene could speak Swedish but I guess that is logical. I wonder if the rest of the siblings speak Swedish. Richard of course spoke Swedish because he was raised in Sweden and attended schools there. His mother was born in Elghammar, Sweden.
Harley
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »

Margrethe, I believe, speaks swedish. I'd imagine Anne Marie does as well...

Jazzy

Humongous Member

All that glitters...

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2017, 10:14:59 PM »

RIP

About his cancer:

This is what he said in Danish. Of course people are free to interpret them as they wish.

Benedikte bryder sig ikke om sygdom og syge mennesker,

Hun er ikke s?d ved mig... Benedikte og jeg er som dag og nat.Af og til undrer det mig, at vi har f?et b?rn
http://www.bt.dk/royale/h...ard-kritiserede-prinsesse

Marge, Dame, the Derfs and the Shacks will all attend the funeral.

Nice of them to support family. I wonder tho how the DRF decide which funeral to support- Henrik was alone when his siter died.

Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »

Well, not everyone is a good nurse or naturally a nurturing person. It doesn't mean they hate sick people or don't care about them at all. I still don't want to think Bene hated her husband and was an evil person. I know I'm not very good at taking care of sick people and would rather leave it to someone better than me.

Glad to hear the family is attending Richard's funeral.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2017, 02:51:29 PM »

TBH I have already heard a good while ago, that the marriage was pretty distant. That both led their own lives quite separately.
I also heard that it had hurt Richard a lot more than he led on in this last interview, that his father-in-law and the danish family so strongly and vehemently opposed his political career. After all Richard had married a younger daughter of a king of a country that (I hope you don't take offence) didn't quite play in the major league of European power houses back then.
And he very likely had been somewhat groomed for a diplomatic role (which in a republic like Germany would mean political) with his up bringing and education. Judging from his wit, his integrity and his overall bearing, I'd say sad loss for Germany.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »

Princess Martha-Louise will attend the funeral tomorrow:

21.03.2017 Funeral service: Her Highness Princess Martha Louise represents the Norwegian Royal Family at the funeral service of Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg from Evangelische Stadtkirche in Bad Berleburg, Germany (14:00).

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »

TBH I have already heard a good while ago, that the marriage was pretty distant. That both led their own lives quite separately.
I also heard that it had hurt Richard a lot more than he led on in this last interview, that his father-in-law and the danish family so strongly and vehemently opposed his political career. After all Richard had married a younger daughter of a king of a country that (I hope you don't take offence) didn't quite play in the major league of European power houses back then.
And he very likely had been somewhat groomed for a diplomatic role (which in a republic like Germany would mean political) with his up bringing and education. Judging from his wit, his integrity and his overall bearing, I'd say sad loss for Germany.

Well that is sad. I don't know what to say. I think they were incompatible but must've been very much in love when they got married. Sad to hear it didn't work out so well for either one as both were ambitious and strong characters but both weren't allowed to be ambitious. Then again I also feel it is a good thing Richard found a just as worthy cause to focus on, the preservation of nature.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »

Princess Martha-Louise will attend the funeral tomorrow:

21.03.2017 Funeral service: Her Highness Princess Martha Louise represents the Norwegian Royal Family at the funeral service of Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg from Evangelische Stadtkirche in Bad Berleburg, Germany (14:00).

It was expected that some members of the Dutch royal house/ royal family would attend the funeral, based on their friendship and narrow connections. But I couldn't find anything about it in the agenda of the Royal House.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: