Today is Athena's birthday and the Instagram of the DRF wished her a happy birthday, referring to her by her new title of Countess. The majority of the comments I saw posted in response referred to her as a princess. Quite a public backlash response to Marge's decision. Nevertheless, happy birthday Athena!
Yup, Danes are not happy
the Danish Royal House Verified 🇩🇰
Her Excellency Countess Athena has a birthday and turns 11 today 🇩🇰
The Danes have spoken: Celebrating Countess Athena as a real princess.
The queen's decision to change the titles and forms of address for Prince Joachim's four children meant that Athena went from being a princess to a countess from 1 January. Many Danes have provided comments on the celebration of Athena. The many comments on the birthday post on the royal house's official Instagram profile more than suggest that many Danes are still upset that Athena is no longer a princess.
Here are a few comments that are highly representative of the majority of comments, and which must be taken as a rather significant statement:
- Happy birthday beautiful princess Athena (for me you will always be a princess)❤️
- Congratulations, fairest Princess Athena. At home, you will never be anything other than just that 👑 🇩🇰♥️
- Congratulations PRINCESS Athena❤️
- Happy Birthday to HRH Princess Athena of Denmark!
- Congratulations beautiful princess
- Happy birthday Princess Athena
- Congratulations to Denmark's beautiful princess. I hope you have a super wonderful day and will be celebrated in the best royal fashion. You are still a princess to the people 🇩🇰🇩🇰🇩🇰❤️
- But it looks like a real princess - hearty congratulations!
- Congratulations Princess Athena 🇩🇰
- Congratulations beautiful princess❤️
- Huge congratulations princess 🇩🇰🇩🇰🇩🇰
- Once a princess ... always a princess 🇩🇰🇩🇰🇩🇰. Happy Birthday.
- Happy birthday princess!
- Congratulations Princess Athena 😍❤️
aaaand Danes are still mad....
Where the royals usually get their hair stroked on social media, the platform was turned into an inferno of criticism. The comment thread received more than 1,200 comments:
- "As a 'grandmother' and as a monarch, the queen underestimated the sovereignty of the people. Happy birthday, PRINCESS ATHENA.
- "The queen's decision becomes absolutely absurd when ex-King Constantine's children can call themselves "princes and princesses of Greece and Denmark"?!"
- "If the royal house insists on calling EX King Constantine king, I insist on calling you princess ❤️ congratulations"
-"And to make it worst the crown prince couple (who seemed to support her unfair decision) has also had the image damaged and it is all her fault."
- "If you are born a princess, you are a princess. I look up to our queen, but here she has made a mistake. Your majesty, correct that."
- "For me, you are and will be a princess - never a countess."
- "Congratulations to the most beautiful princess in Denmark 🇩🇰"
- "Congratulations beautiful princess, the most beautiful in the royal family 🇩🇰"
- "Congratulations princess Athena 🇩🇰 - you are and will always be our most beautiful princess🌸"
- "The people's princess forever - they cannot take that title and place in the hearts of the Danes away from you!"
- "They can remove titles but in our hearts you will always be the princess of Denmark, happy birthday ❤️🇩🇰"
- "Congratulations congratulations PRINCESS Athena - once a princess ALWAYS a princess🇩🇰🇩🇰🇩🇰👸🏼🌸
- "Born a Princess, always a Princess. It cannot be changed with the stroke of a brush."
- 🌹Heartfelt Congratulations To HH Princess Athena of Denmark, Comtesse Laborde de Monpezat."
- "I hope your Highness's special day has been perfect with love, and happy celebration."
- "Happy birthday Princess Athena 🇩🇰 I am a royalist to the core, but in this case it is unfortunately the exception, it confirms the rule that Queen Margrethe always acts with consideration. Her majesty can, however, rush to weather the public mood (just see the comment track), and overturn this erroneous decision 🤞🏻"
- "A daughter of a prince will always be a princess! Happy birthday to H.H. Princess Athena. A timely picture might have been in place, but unfortunately it tells all too clearly what is wrong with this family. Maybe this dysfunctional family should start talking to each other and looking within."
- "Princess - of course - your cousin will be king - if it doesn't get abolished too, now that grandma is at it ;-)"
- "Congratulations PRINCESS Athena we can't help it because the old bitch has dementia."
Reply: - "Spot on! 🎯"
- "Once a Princess, always a Princess. A silly decision can’t change that."
- "Why does the Royal House think it's okay to continue to exploit Prince Joachim's children for publicity when it has been justified to strip them of their titles? For years these children have been used as advertisements for the royal house, whenever the royal house felt the need. Now the queen seems m. fl. (Because it's hard to believe that the crown prince couple has nothing to do with the case) that there is no room for Prince Joachim's children in the prince/princess herd anymore and have thrown them out - see the queen for the children's own sake. But they still need to be hung for public viewing, now in a degraded form, like sprinkling salt in the wound!
I vote congratulations PRINCESS Athena. Either the notion is that some are born princesses/princes others are not or the queen and company that one can get rid of some of the members of the royal family just per one date - and thus emphasizing the untimely and ridiculous that someone is born more/better than others has given us one really good reason to get rid of the rest of the princes and princesses, it could be appropriate between 1/2 - 2023😊"
- "Huge congratulations 🇩🇰 🇩🇰 🇩🇰 you will always be Denmark's PRINCESS and we are so proud of you and your PRINCE brothers... 👑💗💗💗💗"
-"When granny asks you what you’d like, tell her the title she took away."
- "🎂🎈Happy Birthday 👸🏻Athena🎉forever a Princess of Denmark 🇩🇰 where there once upon a time lived an xyz…queen…….?!"
- "Happy birthday to princess Athena We, the people, are giving you the title back as a birthday present ❤️"
- "Failed leadership and communication, once again. Was not the intention of the failed decision to strip them of their royal titles, that Joachim's children could live their own lives. Why then mention their birthdays on the Kinghuset website?"
- "Welch scheinheilige Geburtstagsgrüße von der herzlosesten Oma der Welt!"
- "Happy Birthday. Sorry your grandmother is a jerk!"
- "I am glad that most people in Denmark still consider her as the princess that she really is. Happy birthday to her highness!"
- "Happy Birthday from Norway, PRINCESS Athena 🇳🇴 🇳🇴"
- "If you have messed up, you must stand by it and correct the mistake. The girl is a PRINCESS, a real one, even 👸"
And on and on it goes. The harshest criticism comes from Danes, but then there are also comments from Norway, Sweden, Finnland, Germany and GB.