Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engagement AD Imre/Kathleen Walker & AD Christoph/Adelaide Drapé-Friche  (Read 141983 times)
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: January 09, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »

I think the name of the church was Mary Mother Of God
This parish serves 3 distinct communities according to its website. This is an old church that was founded by German immigrants. The area later was settled by Chinese immigrants and the church now offers Chinese language Mass, Latin Mass and typical Vatican II style Mass. The priest facing front altar  used for the Chinese and VII Masses can be removed for the Latin Mass in which the priest does not face the congregation.

Having grown up attending Mass at large but rather plain,  ugly post WWII churches in SoCal it's always fascinating to me to see such colorful and ornate interiors.
KittyHeaven

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: January 09, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »

TLLK you sound like me. As a post Vatican II Catholic who attends Mass in churches that often resemble school gymnasiums,  I LOVE the architecture(both inside and out) on old Catholic churches.

Living in Southern Calif it's hard to find them, even though there are a few-mostly in the older parts of the city. Have you seen the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels downtown? The TAJ MAHONEY or ROGER STADIUM as it's detractors call it??  Supercontent It's just so ugly. I read somewhere that Cardinal Mahoney wanted to rival St Patrick's in NYC by building it, which makes me just double over with laughter if this absurd rumor is true. Bigger is not  necessarily better. That place doesn't come close to rivalling awe inspiring St. Patrick's on any level, imo.

I admit that the interior is more impressive than the outside, which seen from the Hollywood Freeway resembles a huge boulder about to topple down into the highway. The white marble basement crypt with the original stained glass windows from old St Vibiana's Cathedral is lovely.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:04:30 AM by KittyHeaven » Logged
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: January 09, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »

My personal favorite is "The Raj Mahoney"  He's already designated his space within the crypt. His parents are already buried there. (Good planning Roger.)

I've passed by it dozens of times but I have not been there yet. The old cathedral St. Vibiana's was so damaged by the Northridge Quake in 1993 that it couldn't be used anymore and there wasn't space on the site to rebuild. Still the cathedral has been very controversial especially since the Archdiocese was going to be paying out millions in the sex abuse scandals.  Nerves

Now the Diocese of Orange has "swapped" one of its older churches with the Schuller ministries "Tower of Power'" Crystal Cathedral. The Schuller family could no longer hold onto the building due to its financial situation and family infighting. There were other offers but they accepted the Diocese offer to maintain it as a place of worship. The DoO will not have a cathedral sized church instead of its old Holy Family site. The DoO will now convert the Crystal Cathedral into a Catholic place of worship.
The parish that I should attend has a church that is so ugly that it is distracting.  Nerves Plus there is a creepy life size mannequin of its namesake St. Catherine Labourre that makes me cringe.   Nerves So we travel towards the beach to a much nicer and friendlier parish. It's built on the site of two older churches and is much more ascetically soothing. Now I can concentrate and not try to mentally redecorate.

Love seeing older churches. Apart from the old Missions there aren't too many here. 
KittyHeaven

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: January 10, 2013, 12:03:11 AM »

OMG...I had no idea that the Diocese of Orange had purchased the Crystal Cathedral. This oughtta be interesting!

I had hoped to see St Vibiana's not necessarily rebuilt completely but made reinforced and earthquake proofed but I guess it just wasn't possible. I had a sentimental attachment to it, and really hated to see it demolished. At the very least I hoped that any new Cathedral would NOT be in the modernistic gymnasium style that I so loathe. But there ya go.

There aren't very many old beautiful Catholic churches in So.Cal(outside of the Missions) but the S.F. Bay Area is full of them.  Smiley
Schockobaerin

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: January 10, 2013, 08:30:12 AM »

i hve to say something, allways when i´ve looked at this post, i´ve thought Imre would be a nickname, and was allways scracthing my head, what is the meaning of "imre"?? Thinking then i saw his photo Dead.... two days ago i´discovered his real name is indeed imre Yikes i cant believe someone can give his child such a name.... Thinking
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »

I had never heard of the name Imre before, but thought it would be an old German/Austrian or Hungarian name. For example because of the background of the Habsburg family etc.

I just looked it up on the internet and got the following result:
"...Imre \i-mre, im-re\ as a boy's name is of Hungarian origin. Possibly a variant of Emeric (OldGerman) "home ruler"; also possibly (Hebrew) "my words".
 Imre has 3 variant forms: Imray, Imri and Imrie.
 For more information, see also the related name Aimery. ..."

When I am correct one of the twin boys of Laurent and Claire is named Aimery.

"...
USAGE: Hungarian
PRONOUNCED: EEM-re   [key]

Meaning & History

Hungarian form of EMMERICH. This was the name of an 11th-century Hungarian saint, the son of Saint Istvan. He is also known as Emeric...."
Schockobaerin

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: January 10, 2013, 01:13:27 PM »

dank u dear principessa, but those AD are really austrian, or at last know where Hungary is?? is just funny, they dont have any Kingdom anymore, but are Archdukes and Archduchess, then as Archdukes they take precedence over Prince Charles or GD  Henri? without a kngdom no princes....
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: January 10, 2013, 01:28:18 PM »

I have the feeling it differs between members of this large family.
(there have been at least three branches: Habsburg-Lorraine, Habsburg-Teschen, Habsburg-Tuscany).
One is more involved than the other with their past, the foreigh country etc.

When I am correct the in  2011 deceased  Archduke Otto (crownprince as oldest son of the latest Emperor of Austria) was very involved with European politics and situations in the former parts of the empire.

His youngest son Archduke Georg, who is married to duchess Eilika of Oldenburg, is also pro-Europa (and involved). He is also Hungary (former part of the double monarchie) orientated. With his family he lives in Hungary and his childeren have Hungarian names.

- Zsófia (2001)
- Ildikó (2002)
- Károly-Konstantin (2004)

According to Wikipedia:
"....Georg has been a strong supporter of the Enlargement of the European Union. On 1 May 2004 he was chair of the Grand Europe Ball, a black tie charitable gala held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel hotel in New York to celebrate this historic occasion.

Georg is also the President of Red Cross in Hungary, Ambassador-at-large of Hungary and Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece.

He and his family live next to the village of Sóskút, in Pest County in Hungary.
.."
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: January 10, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »

With regard to the title Archduke/Archduchess:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: January 10, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »

OMG...I had no idea that the Diocese of Orange had purchased the Crystal Cathedral. This oughtta be interesting!

I had hoped to see St Vibiana's not necessarily rebuilt completely but made reinforced and earthquake proofed but I guess it just wasn't possible. I had a sentimental attachment to it, and really hated to see it demolished. At the very least I hoped that any new Cathedral would NOT be in the modernistic gymnasium style that I so loathe. But there ya go.

There aren't very many old beautiful Catholic churches in So.Cal(outside of the Missions) but the S.F. Bay Area is full of them.  Smiley
We were fortunate enough to go to the old Mission Dolores in SF last summer. We've now taken both kids to "their" missions once they'd completed their 4th grade mission reports. Of course both of mine opted to choose NorCal sites.  Tongue Loved visiting the old SF mission and the new church. My daughter chose Santa Clara which is on the site of the SC university campus.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: January 10, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »

re: ``Imre.'' 

I had a Hungarian BF whose name was Imre. He informed me that the English form of the name is Emory. I actually preferred Imre.

With respect to St. Vibiana's, my office was across the alley from the cathedral. I thought it was a handsome building but the neighborhood was way beyond terrible. I often had to step over two or three passed-out druggies just to get from the parking lot into the office.

Haven't see Roger's Folly, but it seems to me that better he'd paid attention to the conduct of some of his priests than to the architectural details 9of the cathedral. I think it's pretty funny that the church will take over the Crystal Cathedral. I thought it was a hideous pretentions monstrosity  from day one and consecrating it a Catholic Church won't change a thing. The Diocese of Oakland has a new cathedral, too, built entirely from donations.  Unfortunately architecturally and in terms of decor it reflects the taste of the conservative donors.

It's too bad that artists like Matisse are no longer creating church buildings.  Matisse's Chapelle de Rosaire de Vence is magnificent, but, unfortunately, such creativity is rare these days.  Here's a little BBC video of Matisse's chapel. It's extraordinary and puts Robers Folly totally in the shade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APaXLXAVkmQ
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39:44 PM »

i hve to say something, allways when i´ve looked at this post, i´ve thought Imre would be a nickname, and was allways scracthing my head, what is the meaning of "imre"?? Thinking then i saw his photo Dead.... two days ago i´discovered his real name is indeed imre Yikes i cant believe someone can give his child such a name.... Thinking
My Mom's family is Hungarian; Imre is quite a common Hungarian name (and of course, until less than 100 yrs ago, it was actually the Austro-Hungarian Empire). Lots of cultural connections btwn Hungary and Austria Smiley
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »

re: ``Imre.'' 

I had a Hungarian BF whose name was Imre. He informed me that the English form of the name is Emory. I actually preferred Imre.

With respect to St. Vibiana's, my office was across the alley from the cathedral. I thought it was a handsome building but the neighborhood was way beyond terrible. I often had to step over two or three passed-out druggies just to get from the parking lot into the office.

Haven't see Roger's Folly, but it seems to me that better he'd paid attention to the conduct of some of his priests than to the architectural details 9of the cathedral. I think it's pretty funny that the church will take over the Crystal Cathedral. I thought it was a hideous pretentions monstrosity  from day one and consecrating it a Catholic Church won't change a thing. The Diocese of Oakland has a new cathedral, too, built entirely from donations.  Unfortunately architecturally and in terms of decor it reflects the taste of the conservative donors.

It's too bad that artists like Matisse are no longer creating church buildings.  Matisse's Chapelle de Rosaire de Vence is magnificent, but, unfortunately, such creativity is rare these days.  Here's a little BBC video of Matisse's chapel. It's extraordinary and puts Robers Folly totally in the shade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APaXLXAVkmQ
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the neighborhood  surrounding St. Vibiana's. I have to agree about the Crystal Cathedral's overall appearance. It's well a bit OTT though it's much better than the PTL headquarters on the southbound 405 near South Coast Plaza.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:35 AM »

PTL???
Royal Di

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: January 11, 2013, 12:19:34 AM »

i have to say something, allways when i´ve looked at this post, i´ve thought Imre would be a nickname, and was allways scracthing my head, what is the meaning of "imre"?? Thinking then i saw his photo Dead.... two days ago i´discovered his real name is indeed imre Yikes i cant believe someone can give his child such a name.... Thinking

I have read that Princess Marie-Astrid named him after her brother, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg.

Imre - Meaning of Imre   
What does Imre mean?
[ 2 syll. i-mre, im-re ] The baby boy name Imre is pronounced IY-MReh- †. Imre is of Germanic origin and it is predominantly used in the Hungarian language. Two-element name derived from amal meaning 'work' ; ric meaning 'rich, powerful, ruler'. The name has also been used as an equivalent of Henry. It was borne by the 12th-century Saint Imre or Emeric of Hungary.

Imre is a Hungarian form of the English Emery.
Imre is also a Hungarian form of the German Emmerich.
Imre is also a Hungarian form of the English Henry.
http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Imre
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: