Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 297   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queen/ DoE : news & photo's  (Read 941399 times)
Skirt Queen

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4305 on: February 06, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »

I'm torn on the issue of abdication. On the one hand, the human-emotional side is clear. An abdication is a gentler transition without harsh feelings, and the abdicated king or queen still has an important function without the pressure. I think the Dutch did it beautifully.

On the other hand, exactly the harshness of the drama is part of the character of monarchy. I remember the scene in the old-but-golden series Edward VII - when the flag is lowered - "the Queen is dead" - "but the King lives". It's this life-or-death drama that gives the British monarchy its harsh, archaic but supremely well-defined profile. 
Have to agree!! As much as they all want to modernize the monarchies and bring them into the 21.century, I wonder if the concept of monarchy and modern isn't actually an anachronism? After all it is a purely hereditary system of lucky birth and basically a vagina lottery.

I stopped wondering about that some time ago, when I decided it definitely is.   IMO the continuation of monarchies has value as a curiosity and/or living history, and is probably harmless as long as the members of the royal families realise they are only being kept for entertainment value and don't believe they are more important and special than the rest of us.

Star for you, Margaret! Exactly how I feel.  Smiley
Mariola

Baby Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #4306 on: February 06, 2020, 10:09:14 PM »

I'm torn on the issue of abdication. On the one hand, the human-emotional side is clear. An abdication is a gentler transition without harsh feelings, and the abdicated king or queen still has an important function without the pressure. I think the Dutch did it beautifully.

On the other hand, exactly the harshness of the drama is part of the character of monarchy. I remember the scene in the old-but-golden series Edward VII - when the flag is lowered - "the Queen is dead" - "but the King lives". It's this life-or-death drama that gives the British monarchy its harsh, archaic but supremely well-defined profile. 
Have to agree!! As much as they all want to modernize the monarchies and bring them into the 21.century, I wonder if the concept of monarchy and modern isn't actually an anachronism? After all it is a purely hereditary system of lucky birth and basically a vagina lottery.

I stopped wondering about that some time ago, when I decided it definitely is.   IMO the continuation of monarchies has value as a curiosity and/or living history, and is probably harmless as long as the members of the royal families realise they are only being kept for entertainment value and don't believe they are more important and special than the rest of us.

Star same from here.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #4307 on: February 06, 2020, 11:10:59 PM »

Star same from here.

I hope I'm not getting too political, if I say that a monarch (provided that he's capable of doing so), can be a symbol for the country and act as a uniting fact more than a president ever could.
jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4308 on: February 07, 2020, 12:19:35 AM »

I view royals as a sort of ambassador for the country and philanthropists.
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4309 on: February 07, 2020, 03:39:55 AM »

Star same from here.

I hope I'm not getting too political, if I say that a monarch (provided that he's capable of doing so), can be a symbol for the country and act as a uniting fact more than a president ever could.

I think a president can be a unifying symbol, but it depends on the sort of presidency you have.  There are different models and I favour the model that has a non-executive president as head of state and a prime minister leading the incumbent government. 
Princess MS

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4310 on: February 07, 2020, 04:23:15 AM »

Star same from here.

I think a president can be a unifying symbol, but it depends on the sort of presidency you have.  There are different models and I favour the model that has a non-executive president as head of state and a prime minister leading the incumbent government. 

I agree Margaret - hopefully we will achieve this after QE11 is no longer here - I can't see a change in her lifetime
duchessbelle

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4311 on: February 16, 2020, 02:57:38 PM »

Does anyone know who are the friends and the children The Queen and Prince Philip went to visit in this video?
 I can only recognize Princess Margaret, Princess Anne, Prince Charles and Prince Philip's mum.

https://www.youtube.com/w...GwQ&feature=emb_title

Thank you
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #4312 on: February 16, 2020, 06:17:41 PM »

Does anyone know who are the friends and the children The Queen and Prince Philip went to visit in this video?
 I can only recognize Princess Margaret, Princess Anne, Prince Charles and Prince Philip's mum.

https://www.youtube.com/w...GwQ&feature=emb_title

Thank you

Some relatives of Philip in Germany, his sisters and their husbands. The old man you see briefly might be Prince Ludwig of Hesse.
duchessbelle

Ignore
« Reply #4313 on: February 18, 2020, 12:58:21 PM »

Thank you! This video coincides with Princess Anneís 6th birthday during the Brittania tour of the western isles in 1956. I think they are relatives of Queen Mother.The old lady looks like her sister Lady Mary Elphinstone. But I am not sure.
The other children in the video might be Marilyn Wills (daughter of Jean Elphinstone) and Annabel & Victoria Rhodes (daughters of Margaret Rhodes).
Both Marilyn and Annabel were bridesmais at Princess Margaret's wedding.
karma chamelion

Big Member

Henry "Hotspur" Percy Esperance en Dieu

Ignore
« Reply #4314 on: February 18, 2020, 08:21:05 PM »

Thank you! This video coincides with Princess Anneís 6th birthday during the Brittania tour of the western isles in 1956. I think they are relatives of Queen Mother.The old lady looks like her sister Lady Mary Elphinstone. But I am not sure.
The other children in the video might be Marilyn Wills (daughter of Jean Elphinstone) and Annabel & Victoria Rhodes (daughters of Margaret Rhodes).
Both Marilyn and Annabel were bridesmais at Princess Margaret's wedding.

Thank you for that very helpful information and welcome aboard, duchessbelle! Star Champagne

We are made of the love of thousands.
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Harlequin

Ignore
« Reply #4315 on: February 20, 2020, 03:00:28 AM »

HM opened the new premises of the Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals.

https://www.yahoo.com/ent...-she-steps-152102439.html

The Queen saw the work being carried out at the hospitals, now both under one roof, firsthand. She met with patients who have benefitted from the hospitalís care and met dental and ENT staff as they showcased the units. On the pediatric floor, she saw children and their families taking part in creative health play sessions and learned how the kids are put at ease during their visits. And the children were well-prepared to meet Queen Elizabeth ó they waved Union Jack flags and wore gold paper crowns on their heads.

Do what you can, where you are, with what youíve got.   Teddy Roosevelt
perdie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #4316 on: February 26, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »

https://www.independent.c...ngham-palace-2088179.html

The Queen asked ministers for a poverty handout to help heat her palaces but was rebuffed because they feared it would be a public relations disaster, documents disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act reveal.

Royal aides were told that the £60m worth of energy-saving grants were aimed at families on low incomes and if the money was given to Buckingham Palace instead of housing associations or hospitals it could lead to "adverse publicity" for the Queen and the Government.

It was initially agreed, and at some point it was realised that this wouldn't look good.  The article goes on to talk about what was funded instead, adding up to some thousands of houses and also hospitals.
ralf103

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #4317 on: February 26, 2020, 08:46:34 PM »

Hmm that report is from 10 years ago Thinking
genegal43

Big Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #4318 on: February 27, 2020, 04:36:41 AM »

https://www.independent.c...ngham-palace-2088179.html

The Queen asked ministers for a poverty handout to help heat her palaces but was rebuffed because they feared it would be a public relations disaster, documents disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act reveal.

Royal aides were told that the £60m worth of energy-saving grants were aimed at families on low incomes and if the money was given to Buckingham Palace instead of housing associations or hospitals it could lead to "adverse publicity" for the Queen and the Government.

It was initially agreed, and at some point it was realised that this wouldn't look good.  The article goes on to talk about what was funded instead, adding up to some thousands of houses and also hospitals.

If the government is giving out free money... Whistle

Why wouldn't you ask...

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

in search of ethical emerald tiaras

Ignore
« Reply #4319 on: February 27, 2020, 04:55:30 AM »

Remember HM gave money to WK for Anmer and KP out of funds to use for BP. I'm sure she's done it for other members of the family too, redirecting funds used to service BP which has been ignored by her for 60+ years...

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 297   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: