Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 309   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queen/ DoE : news & photo's  (Read 994588 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #4560 on: June 02, 2020, 01:04:48 PM »

https://www.quora.com/Why...zabeth-riding-side-saddle

Q & A

Why in photos of her riding a horse at ceremonial events, is Queen Elizabeth riding side saddle?
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4561 on: June 02, 2020, 01:06:38 PM »

For a lady of Elizabeth's age riding side saddle was the 'done thing' in public areas. When riding privately she could ride astride but for a public event it wasn't done.

She will be the last Queen to ride in such a manner, I suspect. Anne rides astride in Trooping the Colour but for The Queen that just wasn't 'done'.
Nappyolean

Micro Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #4562 on: June 02, 2020, 01:44:21 PM »

Am I completely paranoid by saying I would never let my 94 year old mother/grandmother ride a horse? One false move and she falls off? Old people have very brittle bones. Sort of reminds me of Prince Philip driving around at such an old age. Itís fine until something bad happens. I donít know much about horses but this seems a bit dangerous to me. One startled horse, HM falls off, breaks her pelvis and then every newspaper in the world wants to know what she was doing on the horse to begin with. For a cute photo op, how about walk with the Corgiís?
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #4563 on: June 02, 2020, 01:57:17 PM »

Am I completely paranoid by saying I would never let my 94 year old mother/grandmother ride a horse? One false move and she falls off? Old people have very brittle bones. Sort of reminds me of Prince Philip driving around at such an old age. Itís fine until something bad happens. I donít know much about horses but this seems a bit dangerous to me. One startled horse, HM falls off, breaks her pelvis and then every newspaper in the world wants to know what she was doing on the horse to begin with. For a cute photo op, how about walk with the Corgiís?

I suspect the situation is very much under control! Not sure how you could ďnot letĒ the Queen of England ride her animal... 😹
Nappyolean

Micro Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #4564 on: June 02, 2020, 02:08:45 PM »

Well, everyone is always in control, until they arenít. Then itís an ďaccidentĒ. I guess Iím talking about the risk/reward for a 94 year old woman to be hoisted on a horse and ride around. But, glad it worked out for her. 👏
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4565 on: June 02, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »

It may be a technical point but she isn't actually riding a horse but is riding a fell pony. They have a different temperament and are noted as being very steady and stable animals. Although the groom isn't visible in these photos there is usually one very close by.

However, no one will stop the Queen riding. There is really only one person who can say 'no' to her and I am not sure he is up to it any more (that is Philip).
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4566 on: June 02, 2020, 03:28:05 PM »

It is not technical, a pony is a really gentle animal, super calm and steady. Kids and elderly ride them because they are quiet and stable animals. She always ride with someone nearby, never alone.

Would pay to see someone tell Lilibeth "No Ma'm, you cannot ride anymore. You see, you're 94."

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4567 on: June 02, 2020, 04:00:28 PM »

What purpose has life at 94 other than enjoying it to very fullest? Heck at 94, I would be smoking and drinking and eating candies for the sheer fun of it.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
lynaH

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4568 on: June 02, 2020, 04:02:29 PM »

How old was Prince Phillip when he gave up riding? That might be a decent guideline for when HM will stop.
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #4569 on: June 02, 2020, 04:25:59 PM »

Prince Phillip stopped playing polo in 1971, when he was 50. He then took up competitive carriage driving.

For one, Lillibet has been riding practically her entire life, it's not something she recently decided to take up.

Second, she's not off galloping and jumping hedges.

Third, she has topnotch stable / horse people, who along side of HM, know how to judge equine temperament. What we also don't see, is just off to the side there is a groom riding with her.

Fourth, like Thistle, I would love to be there when someone tells Lillbet she can't ride because she's 94.

Compassion without truth isn't love, it's flattery. Love not only weeps, it also speaks.   Reagan Rose
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4570 on: June 02, 2020, 04:57:28 PM »

IIRC Philip was mounted at TTC as late as 2012 (91 years old).  Even on well trained horses parades take a good bit of skill on the riders part as the risk of the horse spooking is very high.  Plus you have to guide the horse through everything that's expected of it during the parade.

I believe that Philip was photographed out carriage driving several times last year....so at 98ish.  Photos of Philip mounted are pretty few and far between but that's more to do with his enjoyment of carriage driving.  That being said he did suffer numerous injuries during his polo days so it's very possible that carriage driving is more comfortable from a physical stand point...Liz has less to worry about from an old injury stand point.

Knowing Liz she'll ride until the day she dies.  Like others on here, I pity the fool that tries to tell her to stop.
Paulina

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #4571 on: June 03, 2020, 01:48:30 AM »

Honestly, if she had to go, don't you think she'd prefer it on or by her horse/pony?

I remember this Wall Street Journal column (the fun one in the center bottom of the front page with its own outline) about tennis players in their 90s keeping going. It's behind a paywall, unfortunately. The friends thought playing tennis was the ideal way to go.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB989182737160258969
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4572 on: June 03, 2020, 09:17:17 AM »

Q & A

Why in photos of her riding a horse at ceremonial events, is Queen Elizabeth riding side saddle?

Pricipessa, Thank you for the information.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #4573 on: June 03, 2020, 02:16:11 PM »

Q & A

Pricipessa, Thank you for the information.

You are welcome.

I often enjoy your informative and/or historical posts  Thumb up
SouthernBelle

Big Member

With my thumbs I like to think I'm probably useful

Ignore
« Reply #4574 on: June 09, 2020, 11:09:07 PM »

New picture of Phil and Liz taken last week.

https://twitter.com/Majes.../1270460664998486017?s=20

Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 309   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: