Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queen/ DoE : news & photo's  (Read 1039721 times)
periwinkle

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4695 on: September 16, 2020, 09:09:57 PM »

I agree that Charles' reign will see the Empire shrink but I don't think that has to be a bad thing. There is the Commonwealth and I hope these nations that split will see the value in using their alliance to help each other. I think all these countries that want to become republics are showing lovely respect to the monarch even if they don't like the monarchy. I feel for poor Charles if he has to preside over lots of divorce ceremonies so to speak. I remember when he was in Hong Kong in 1999 or whenever it was. He was emotional if I am remembering properly. I think the royals look at the Commonwealth as a family and like family you might bicker or not see things the same way but you have each other to lean on. I think the queen's love for the diversity of the Commonwealth was part of why it was easy for her to open her arms to her grandson's wife.
periwinkle

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #4696 on: September 16, 2020, 09:14:49 PM »

I like how the Duke bounds out of the car without anyone at the ready you just know he would chew out anyone who held out a hand or assumed he would fall and break ten bones. Spunk is always a welcome sign in our elders even if you are on the receiving end of some harsh words.
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4697 on: September 17, 2020, 12:02:56 AM »

I hope the reference to "colonial past" hasn't stemmed from comments made by some people about the Commonwealth recently!

I think it’s the general atmosphere or movement that is happening around the world right now and has been for a year or so. I wouldn’t imagine it’s a quick decision but I can see how it’s gained a lot more favour in recent times.

I feel one The Queen dies more and more will do the same.

Probably.  IMO the Caribbean nations will lead the charge and once most (if not all) complete the independence process then will discussion seriously ramp up in the Big 3 (Australia, Canada, & New Zealand).  I know Scotland is pretty serious about becoming a properly independent nation but the talk included keeping The Queen as HOS so that's "different".  Charles's reign will probably be one of transformation...with most of the realms declaring independence but the Commonwealth of Nations remaining strong and evolving.

So will there be a referendum in 2021 or are they skipping that step?  Or did it already happen and I missed it?

Under the Barbadian constitution there is no need for a referendum ... just parliament passing a law.

For the past 20+ years pretty well all governments in Barbados have been republican but they wanted to be comfortable that the people wanted a republic. They now are comfortable with that idea and so will simply pass the legislation and Barbados will be a republic. That is why the GG announced the date on which that will happen.

Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4698 on: September 17, 2020, 12:05:13 AM »

I hope the reference to "colonial past" hasn't stemmed from comments made by some people about the Commonwealth recently!

I think it’s the general atmosphere or movement that is happening around the world right now and has been for a year or so. I wouldn’t imagine it’s a quick decision but I can see how it’s gained a lot more favour in recent times.

Probably.  IMO the Caribbean nations will lead the charge and once most (if not all) complete the independence process then will discussion seriously ramp up in the Big 3 (Australia, Canada, & New Zealand).  I know Scotland is pretty serious about becoming a properly independent nation but the talk included keeping The Queen as HOS so that's "different".  Charles's reign will probably be one of transformation...with most of the realms declaring independence but the Commonwealth of Nations remaining strong and evolving.

So will there be a referendum in 2021 or are they skipping that step?  Or did it already happen and I missed it?

Under the Barbadian constitution there is no need for a referendum ... just parliament passing a law.

For the past 20+ years pretty well all governments in Barbados have been republican but they wanted to be comfortable that the people wanted a republic. They now are comfortable with that idea and so will simply pass the legislation and Barbados will be a republic. That is why the GG announced the date on which that will happen.

Interesting
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4699 on: September 17, 2020, 03:20:13 AM »

BarbAdos has voted twice for this before but then didn’t follow through. My understanding is still in the commonwealth just the Queen won’t be their head of state?
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4700 on: September 17, 2020, 03:24:31 AM »

Right...they will no longer be a Commonwealth Realm (one of the currently 16 countries with QEII as Head of State) but the will still be a member of the Commonwealth of Nations (54 countries in all).
Ghost

Small Member

Romania Romania

Ignore
« Reply #4701 on: September 17, 2020, 03:28:21 AM »

“In 1998, a Barbados constitutional review commission recommended republican status, and in 2015 Prime Minister Freundel Stuart said 'we have to move from a monarchical system to a republican form of government in the very near future'.”

“Barbados took another step towards independence from the UK in 2003 when it replaced the London-based Judicial Committee of the Privy Council with the Caribbean Court of Justice, located in Trinidad and Tobago's Port of Spain, as its final appeals court.”

“Former Prime Minister Owen Arthur promoted the idea of a referendum on becoming a republic in 2005, however the vote was called off due to concerns raised by the Electoral and Boundaries Commission.”

It has been years in the making.

https://www.dailymail.co....head-state-year-full.html
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4702 on: September 17, 2020, 03:36:06 AM »

“In 1998, a Barbados constitutional review commission recommended republican status, and in 2015 Prime Minister Freundel Stuart said 'we have to move from a monarchical system to a republican form of government in the very near future'.”

“Barbados took another step towards independence from the UK in 2003 when it replaced the London-based Judicial Committee of the Privy Council with the Caribbean Court of Justice, located in Trinidad and Tobago's Port of Spain, as its final appeals court.”

“Former Prime Minister Owen Arthur promoted the idea of a referendum on becoming a republic in 2005, however the vote was called off due to concerns raised by the Electoral and Boundaries Commission.”

It has been years in the making.

https://www.dailymail.co....head-state-year-full.html

Right...I just wasn't sure whether or not a referendum had happened (or needed to).  Luvcharles pointed out that the Barbados constitution doesn't require a public referendum as part of the independence process.  Not going to lie, I do find it interesting that a referendum isn't required and that they had considered holding one but called it off.  Whatever.  I wish them them very best with this and their new future as a republic.
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #4703 on: September 18, 2020, 07:07:37 PM »

The Queen Stripped Harvey Weinstein of his MBE

The nerve.
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4704 on: September 18, 2020, 07:15:44 PM »

The nerve.

ummm ... CBE.  Big diff for some.
ralf103

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4705 on: September 18, 2020, 07:39:45 PM »

The nerve.

Good riddance! A good move
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #4706 on: September 18, 2020, 08:14:16 PM »

The nerve.

I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, Harvey Weinstein deserves everything he gets and more.

However, this could come back to bite in the form of clamour for Prince Andrew to be stripped of his titles and/or honours as he is alleged to be just as bad a sexual deviant and victimizer as Mr Weinstein.
Zazoo

Small Member

Cyprus Cyprus

Ignore
« Reply #4707 on: September 18, 2020, 08:48:24 PM »

The nerve.

I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, Harvey Weinstein deserves everything he gets and more.

However, this could come back to bite in the form of clamour for Prince Andrew to be stripped of his titles and/or honours as he is alleged to be just as bad a sexual deviant and victimizer as Mr Weinstein.

Well everyone is innocent until proven otherwise.But Andrew has been seen with a certain crowd and his name has been dragged through the mud. Honestly If he really is involved, she really should strip him off everything

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." ? Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #4708 on: September 18, 2020, 09:20:32 PM »

The nerve.

Well everyone is innocent until proven otherwise.But Andrew has been seen with a certain crowd and his name has been dragged through the mud. Honestly If he really is involved, she really should strip him off everything
Innocent until proven guilty. You'll notice Weinstein has been a pariah for years, but she only stripped him after he was convicted in court. Andrew will only be stripped of honors and titles if he is arrested, tried and found guilty of a crime. And even then he keeps Duke of York. Even in the worst case scenario, he hasn't committed high treason, which is the only possible legal reason for being stripped of a peerage.
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #4709 on: September 18, 2020, 09:49:09 PM »

The nerve.

Innocent until proven guilty. You'll notice Weinstein has been a pariah for years, but she only stripped him after he was convicted in court. Andrew will only be stripped of honors and titles if he is arrested, tried and found guilty of a crime. And even then he keeps Duke of York. Even in the worst case scenario, he hasn't committed high treason, which is the only possible legal reason for being stripped of a peerage.

I’m 100001% okay with that rule being changed.

Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: