Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 351   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queen/ DoE : news & photo's  (Read 1209736 times)
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #5085 on: May 12, 2021, 08:31:48 PM »

This is o/t and I don't want to hyjack the thread but I'm very curious about the throne she is sitting on.  I've googled all I can think of and still can't find an answer.  I'm hoping some of our knowledgeable members can inform me of the history, age and background of the chair.  I'm sure it's fascinating and I've grown frustrated looking for answers.  Are those huge diamonds surrounding the frame?  Yikes  If there is a better thread to post this, please let me know.  Thank you for indulging my curiosity.

It's hard not seeing DOE and she looks so small in that big chair by herself, but she looks good, not as frail and lost as previous pics, she is back to rockin' regal  Thumb up

Here you go CoC!

https://www.parliament.uk...s/the-sovereigns-throne-/

The Sovereign's Throne

The Sovereign's Throne is one of the most important items of furniture in the Palace of Westminster. The elaborately carved woodwork is gilded, inset with rock crystals and upholstered in sumptuous red velvet and intricate embroidery. John Webb of Bond Street constructed the throne to A.W.N. Pugin's design in 1847. Pugin was most likely influenced in his design of this throne by St Edwards Chair, popularly known as the Coronation Chair, which sits in Westminster Abbey and was first used by Edward II in 1308. The Coronation Chair is the earliest surviving example of an English throne and Pugin could not have failed to have been inspired by it.

In 1901 the embroidery was revived by Holland & Sons and in the same year, in a matter of weeks, a second throne, known as the consort's throne, was created. Almost identical to the sovereign's throne, but an inch shorter, the consort's throne is brought back to the Palace of Westminster once a year for State Opening of Parliament from its permanent home in Houghton Hall, Norfolk.

The sovereign's throne is used during each State Opening of Parliament by the Monarch.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.       Daniel Patrick Moynihan
anneboleyn

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5086 on: May 12, 2021, 09:01:38 PM »

Thank you!  Star
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #5087 on: May 12, 2021, 11:49:36 PM »

FYI - I did a search and it seems we don't have a specific thread for thrones so I'll just continue to add a bit of information here:

Sovereign’s Throne and Footstool, designed by A.W.N. Pugin for the Palace of Westminster c 1847: conservation treatment for continued use and open display

https://www.kategillconse...ce-of-westminster-c-1847/

The article discusses and describes the the conservation of the footstool - and has informative pictures. I found it extremely interesting, but then, I like this kind of stuff!

Enjoy!

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.       Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5088 on: May 13, 2021, 04:44:13 AM »

OH wow, thank you so much  Star Lady L!!  That whole link is interesting, amazing truely amazing, I enjoyed it very much  Hug

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
emtishell

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5089 on: May 13, 2021, 06:27:04 AM »

The Queen looks absolutely regal, every inch shows that she's, you know, THE QUEEN!

It is sad, indeed, not seeing Philip there.

HM does look quite wonderful. I love the springtime color and her hat is beautiful. She did a lovely video interview the other day with the Royal Life Saving Society (I think that is what it’s called) and she seemed to be doing really well.

I believe lavender is half mourning - it's what people used to wear when coming out of full mourning. So, not only a lovely springtime color but entirely appropriate. The gold around the collar added just the right touch for the occasion.

that is correct, lavender/mauve and grey are considered suitable colours to wear post the initial mourning period. I wouldn't be surprised if HM sticks to a more muted palette for an extended period of time.
thecrownjewelthief

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #5090 on: May 13, 2021, 12:58:44 PM »

The Queen looks absolutely regal, every inch shows that she's, you know, THE QUEEN!

HM does look quite wonderful. I love the springtime color and her hat is beautiful. She did a lovely video interview the other day with the Royal Life Saving Society (I think that is what it’s called) and she seemed to be doing really well.

I believe lavender is half mourning - it's what people used to wear when coming out of full mourning. So, not only a lovely springtime color but entirely appropriate. The gold around the collar added just the right touch for the occasion.

that is correct, lavender/mauve and grey are considered suitable colours to wear post the initial mourning period. I wouldn't be surprised if HM sticks to a more muted palette for an extended period of time.

Thank you both Star I wasn’t aware of that!
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5091 on: May 13, 2021, 02:08:05 PM »

https://www.dailymail.co....life-new-CBS-special.html

I suppose only time will tell if it's a hatchet job or a suck up piece trying to make  nice to make up for all the lies they broadcast told by Gayle's friend.  I'm betting hatchet job with every scandal, lie, fabrication,  dark rumor and "insider gossip" they can find.  Gayle is a nasty piece of work, horrible interviewer, the only reason she has a job is because of her friend Oprah!  I won't be watching. 

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Kayzilla

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #5092 on: May 13, 2021, 02:10:45 PM »

I'm of the opinion that if you are in mourning, then the color you are wearing is a mourning color. Same as if you put your body on a beach, you instantly have a beach body.
emtishell

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5093 on: May 13, 2021, 02:32:35 PM »

I'm of the opinion that if you are in mourning, then the color you are wearing is a mourning color. Same as if you put your body on a beach, you instantly have a beach body.

And while that is a perfectly valid opinion to have, the fact remains that the BRF in particular still follow some of the Victorian traditions regarding what is acceptable during a period of mourning. Obviously HM is not emulating Victoria, wearing nothing but black for the rest of her life, and not observing a full year of “full” mourning. But she is nothing if not a stickler for tradition.

Very interesting website if you’d like to know more about these traditions.

https://lilacandbombazine...d-fifty-shades-of-purple/
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #5094 on: May 13, 2021, 02:49:54 PM »

https://www.dailymail.co....life-new-CBS-special.html

I suppose only time will tell if it's a hatchet job or a suck up piece trying to make  nice to make up for all the lies they broadcast told by Gayle's friend.  I'm betting hatchet job with every scandal, lie, fabrication,  dark rumor and "insider gossip" they can find.  Gayle is a nasty piece of work, horrible interviewer, the only reason she has a job is because of her friend Oprah!  I won't be watching. 

Wonder if Lady Glenconner is still a friend of the queen. If so, why would she do this?

At 95 maybe the queen can just ignore the press like this, pouring over her life. It’s been done since she was young. Maybe she doesn’t care. 
anneboleyn

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5095 on: May 13, 2021, 04:42:31 PM »

I wasn't aware of that either, thanks for sharing! It makes so much sense because normally the Queen wears such bright colours that she is the first thing you notice. I did actually think her colours were strikingly different but I assumed it was due to the fact she wasn't really in public and didn't need to wear a neon colour.
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #5096 on: May 13, 2021, 04:47:23 PM »

And while that is a perfectly valid opinion to have, the fact remains that the BRF in particular still follow some of the Victorian traditions regarding what is acceptable during a period of mourning. Obviously HM is not emulating Victoria, wearing nothing but black for the rest of her life, and not observing a full year of “full” mourning. But she is nothing if not a stickler for tradition.

It's not surprising, considering the era in which HM was born and that her parents and grandparents would have followed such customs, albeit for a longer length of time.

I think we'll likely see her in muted colors until she returns from Balmoral in the fall. I read something the other day, that she would go up early this year and stay in Craigowan Lodge until moving in to the castle at her usual time. Has anyone else read that?

SvenskaSarah

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5097 on: May 13, 2021, 06:24:08 PM »

It's not surprising, considering the era in which HM was born and that her parents and grandparents would have followed such customs, albeit for a longer length of time.

I think we'll likely see her in muted colors until she returns from Balmoral in the fall. I read something the other day, that she would go up early this year and stay in Craigowan Lodge until moving in to the castle at her usual time. Has anyone else read that?

I had read that she was going to Balmoral earlier than usual. I can imagine spending an extended period of time in a secluded place which holds many happy memories for her would be quite the ideal place for her to continue to grieve.

I also didn't know about the other colours of mourning, and I've grown up in the UK, so thanks to all who have provided information about it  Champagne
Emac0914

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #5098 on: May 13, 2021, 11:02:56 PM »

I think the subdued mauve she wore was perfect.  I’m sure she’s sad enough on the inside and she wore black for the funeral.  I think Philip would have wanted her gradually move on to the brighter colors via the muted hues - he would have said, live on and do and wear what you had been.  She’s a deeply conscientious woman with a great deal of love and respect for her late husband but not a wearer of black.  Good choice, Your Majesty!

I hope she has a nice early, quiet and peaceful time at Balmoral to reflect on all her wonderful time there with Philip.  She’s earned it and she’ll have plenty of visitors all summer long to keep her from being lonely.
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5099 on: May 19, 2021, 01:06:39 AM »

A number of papers are reporting that one of the puppies died over the weekend.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 351   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: