Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 309   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queen/ DoE : news & photo's  (Read 999045 times)
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #4470 on: April 05, 2020, 10:19:56 PM »

Did anyone else watch the speech? It struck the right tone even if it was (IMHO) somewhat overdue

Yes well done although adding the video of her 3 Cambridge great grand children clapping for the NHS would have been nice

Maybe she didn’t want people to focus on them but on the regular citizens doing extraordinary things in this time of crisis.
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4471 on: April 05, 2020, 10:45:11 PM »

I liked that the focus was on regular people and the NHS, not the RF or the royal kids.

Really nice speech, imo.

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
thecrownjewelthief

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4472 on: April 05, 2020, 11:26:45 PM »

I watched it as well. There is just something comforting and steady about her since she has seen so much over the years. I wouldn’t say she comes across as warm and fuzzy, but she reminds me a lot of my late grandmother who was very no-nonsense - she grew up through the Depression and Dust Bowl and sent my grandfather off to WWII (he was shot down and floating in a life raft for weeks at one point). Just that “we’ve seen bad things and we’ve survived” attitude and wisdom that makes you feel a little better.
Queen’s Tea

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #4473 on: April 05, 2020, 11:30:19 PM »

Good speech and needed.  I liked it.  She looks freaking amazing for her age. 
ralf103

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4474 on: April 05, 2020, 11:47:18 PM »

A very good speech IMO. It was right to focus on the "normal people" and not use it as a chance to talk about the Cambridge kids and Charles (I wondered if she might mention him but thought it worked better that she didn't). It was quite moving as it underlined the importance of what we are going through and the fact there is a possibility given how rare HM addresses the nation outside the Christmas Broadcast that this is the last time we will hear from her in a "stabilising the nation" speech. She looked strong for her age which will reassure people I believe, especially now the Prime Minister is in hospital with coronavirus.

I think the references back to WW2 were touching as it so formed HM's outlook on life and made the point we have been through worse before and come out the other side. Most importantly it was realistic yet gave a message of hope.
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4475 on: April 05, 2020, 11:48:19 PM »

I think she was splendid. Although I am an American, she is still “my Queen.”

I loved the final shot of the Round Tower at Windsor.  How many wars and plagues that old Castle has seen.  

I agree with her: we will endure !
Queen’s Tea

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #4476 on: April 06, 2020, 01:37:03 AM »

Considering everything she’s been through this past 12 months or so, it’s pretty inspiring for her to make such a speech.  She’s an amazing person in my book.  She’s done the job and then some.  But that’s my opinion only. 
emtishell

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4477 on: April 06, 2020, 02:06:16 AM »

I just watched it - I thought it was very well done, very “chin up old chum” British! By the end I was in tears, with “we WILL meet again”.

I liked the very plain setting, no photos etc. The outward focus on the ordinary people doing extraordinary things.
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #4478 on: April 06, 2020, 02:42:24 AM »

What a speech! I loved the humanity and intimacy of Charles speech. HM's was unifying, universal, a call to arms in whatever form we are currently wielding as a human race against the deadly virus, a reminder of the greatness in each one of us and that there is no greater time for it to exhibit itself, the re-assurance through her own experience that there have been very dark times that have been overcome. It was truly Majestic.

The images of Britons that accompanied the address were beautiful. She looks and sounds amazing and very much the Monarch.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:59:07 AM by Chandrasekhi » Logged

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

– Yoda
Athena

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #4479 on: April 06, 2020, 03:52:57 AM »

I was very moved by Her Majesty's speech - so many allusions and echoes of words that have inspired in the past and still resonate today.
The references to those at the forefront of the efforts today will be well-received; also the reminder that we are all in it together.

I'm another who had tears as I watched and listened.
Nappyolean

Micro Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #4480 on: April 06, 2020, 05:28:58 AM »

I also liked that there were no background pictures for the press (or anyone) to make news out of it..(why so and so was pictured but so and so wasn’t, etc). Green was also a great color to wear. Well done.
Pomme

Huge Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #4481 on: April 06, 2020, 07:44:24 AM »

Green being the colour of hope, it was indeed an appropriate choice of dress. The turquoise is not really that green (someone would have been sent to the Tower for ruining it) but in photos it picks up the hue nicely. Any significance other than it was a wedding gift to Queen Mary, I don't know.

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
kbart

Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4482 on: April 06, 2020, 10:16:46 AM »

I think she nailed it - beautiful speech and the delivery, tone and, importantly, the intonation were perfect...I am glad she didn't mention any of her family. The footage of key workers was the right thing to show. The emphasis on we will met again was perfect - a clear reference to the WW2 song she knows so well, slightly different and therefore not clicheed..very moving. btw the original singer of the song, Dame Vera Lynn, was 103 a couple of weeks ago and called on us to keep smiling and keep singing during these challenging times..
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #4483 on: April 06, 2020, 11:10:44 AM »

I think she nailed it - beautiful speech and the delivery, tone and, importantly, the intonation were perfect...I am glad she didn't mention any of her family. The footage of key workers was the right thing to show. The emphasis on we will met again was perfect - a clear reference to the WW2 song she knows so well, slightly different and therefore not clicheed..very moving. btw the original singer of the song, Dame Vera Lynn, was 103 a couple of weeks ago and called on us to keep smiling and keep singing during these challenging times..

A wonderful trip down memory lane, kbart  Star .HM literally left us on song. MASTERFUL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsM_VmN6ytk

***read the comments on the clip .... HM is now responsible for a revival of a golden oldie
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 11:18:55 AM by Chandrasekhi » Logged

– Yoda
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #4484 on: April 06, 2020, 11:15:07 AM »

I was very moved by Her Majesty's speech - so many allusions and echoes of words that have inspired in the past and still resonate today.
The references to those at the forefront of the efforts today will be well-received; also the reminder that we are all in it together.

I'm another who had tears as I watched and listened.

Ditto, Athena, emtishell Beer

– Yoda
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 309   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: