Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Luxembourg: picture thread  (Read 89100 times)
onar

Medium Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2017, 10:29:18 PM »

wrong quote
I'll repost

onar

Medium Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2017, 10:31:35 PM »

It's a wedding. Why nobody's similing and look happy? Wasn't usual to be photographed smiling, back then?

melusina

Baby Member

Luxembourg Luxembourg

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2017, 10:57:10 PM »

I don't think so Onar. When looking at old family  pictures (pre WW2) it always stroke me that people would look very severe. Maybe because they had to hold the pose for quite a while,  the exposure needed was high in those days. ...   It's easier to maintain a fixed expression of apathy rather than grinning  . As the technology improved, exposure times dropped and people became more relaxed.
I don't think that people had less fun but maybe there also was a different sense of decorum, in old oil portaits for example, you seldom see people smile.
onar

Medium Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2017, 02:07:35 AM »

Interesting perspective, melusina, I haven't thought about it. I try to remember my grandparent's wedding photo, I have the impression that my grandmother smiles.
It's just seem weird that nobody looks happy, although probably they are.

Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »

People rarely ever smile in old photos. I read an article about it once. It's almost funny when you start to notice. My guess is our forefathers would be equally mystified as to why we're always smiling in photos Wink

There's a bit to find around online about the topic..

https://www.theguardian.c...photographs-google-answer
https://petapixel.com/201...-people-smile-old-photos/
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2017, 05:04:36 PM »

And there are still many parts of the world where it is considered rude to smile for photos, especially weddings.  Interesting how each culture has its own traditions and there is no right or wrong way to do it.  It is just what is most meaningful to the participants.
KimmySue

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »

My husband hates to smile in pictures--he would have fit right in with the Victorians!

I love looking at old photographs. Getting a glimpse into another time is fascinating to me. Just found a bunch of old family photos--photos of my grandma when she was little, great grandma as a young mother, etc. So much fun to look through.

Thanks Maria for the links!
onar

Medium Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2017, 07:32:49 PM »

Thank you for the links, Maria! it's always amazing how these small details change as the time goes by!

Pinkie

Baby Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »

I've got a question regarding MTs dress. MT an JC are wearing white dresses while Marie Astrid wears violett and Charlotte is in a black dress. I thought the privil?ge du blanc is for consorts of reigning catholic monarchs only. Is it considered a faux pas that the then hereditary GD MT is wearing white or is it of no importance because it wasn't a formal audience in the Vatican?
Trier1

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2017, 09:05:33 PM »

Not a faux-pas since it wasn't an audience at the Vatican. He visited them in Lux, so no need for MT and Astrid to wear black or for JC to wear pure white
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: