Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carl Gustaf news  (Read 110037 times)
My13

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:47:36 PM »

On March 22, Carl Gustaf hosted an environmental symposium for 100 representatives of the scientific community, industry, politics, and NGOs. All 14 of the King’s Environmental Professors came together for the first time. These are international visiting professors at Swedish research institutes who are supported by the King Carl XVI Gustaf 50th Anniversary Fund.

Carl Gustaf appoints the professors himself on the advice of the fund’s governing body and the Swedish scientific academies.

Program
News report

Carl Gustaf gave a speech in English at the symposium. An excerpt:

Science has a crucial role in diagnosing the state of our Planet. Global ecosystems are increasingly complex and scientists warn about tipping points. Earth Science has become important as a holistic approach. We cannot look only at one issue at a time. But Science and Technology are crucial for providing new technology, new products and new processes in order to avoid harmful effects.

The international perspective is unavoidable. Pollution does not respect borders. Products are traded worldwide. This is why we believe it is so important to invite foreign scientists to bring and share new knowledge.

Hopefully we will hear today, not only about problems, but also solutions and ways forward. We must accept reality as a starting point, but be smart and turn problems into possibilities. I believe that a development that is environmentally sustainable will in the long term also be economically sustainable.

Speech
My13

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »

Carl Gustaf rarely gives a good speech, IMO. Most of his speeches I’ve read are basically lists of facts about the event with some cliches thrown in for good measure. No wit, charm or intelligence - maybe some things are lost in translation, but I don’t get the same feeling from Silvia or Daniel's speeches.

And when you compare a CG speech to other people’s speeches at the same event - such as Charles’ speech during the official visit or Olle Westling’s speech at the wedding - the difference is clear.
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:19:07 PM »

IMO CG is lacking personality as well as the gift of a good speech.
Flamingo

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »

Don't royals have speech writers?  I mean, obviously his speech writer can't make him more charming or fix his delivery, but it sounds like some of his problem is the content.
abs

Humongous Member

Svalbard and Jan Mayen Svalbard and Jan Mayen

Illegal substances? MOI???!!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »

He´s just dumb - much shorter and quite accurate.  Wink

SEXY,SEXY!!!
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:05:12 AM »

Okay, that covers it as well. I could not go over how he handled the scandal. Everyone without great advisors would have done a better job.
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »

that's because he points n sucks.

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
abs

Humongous Member

Svalbard and Jan Mayen Svalbard and Jan Mayen

Illegal substances? MOI???!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »

Okay, that covers it as well. I could not go over how he handled the scandal. Everyone without great advisors would have done a better job.

Yes

SEXY,SEXY!!!
My13

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:33:24 PM »

Don't royals have speech writers?  I mean, obviously his speech writer can't make him more charming or fix his delivery, but it sounds like some of his problem is the content.

I’m sure he does. That tells you something about him, IMO. He could hire the best speech writers in Sweden if he wanted to, but he prefers to hire people who think just like him and follow his orders no matter what. Just look at his PR department. Roll Eyes

Either that or his staff members are all secret republicans. Tongue
My13

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 11:10:21 PM »

An update on last year’s controversy over Carl Gustaf's actions in Saudi Arabia:

Last month he gave a Boy Scout award to one of the world's worst dictators, the king of Saudi Arabia. His excuse? Sweden and Saudi Arabia have diplomatic relations. Diplomatic relations, handing out awards, same thing, right?  Halo

His spokesman Bertil Ternert said CG wouldn't do anything without the government's permission.....then it turned out the government didn't even know about CG's trip to Saudi Arabia Roll Eyes But the government is still defending him, so I guess it's a-okay for CG to go meet dictators without bothering to tell anyone Crap

http://www.expressen.se/n...ar-saudiarabiens-diktator
http://mobil.aftonbladet....yheter/article13717009.ab

In February, Bertil Ternert told a Press Club debate (!) that Carl Gustaf had doubts about giving the medal to the dictator. Ternert claims CG asked for the Foreign Ministry’s opinion and got permission.

The Foreign Ministry's spokesman says he doesn't remember CG asking for permission. “I think the royal court only informed us of the trip and expected that if the Foreign Ministry had any objection, it would be given; that's how it usually goes.”

But the Swedish government is still defending Carl Gustaf - saying he did nothing wrong because government officials have also had dealings with Saudi Arabia. Yes, they have Secret Whistle

The spokesman says he made a mistake last year when he said he never heard about CG’s trip. He says it was poor communication - "It certainly isn't an elegant picture of the relationship."

http://ajour.se/kungen-oc...venska-hovjournalistiken/
http://svt.se/2.22620/1.2...issel_mellan_hovet_och_ud
My13

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:12:52 PM »

More details about the pizza picture and the court's response:

The artist, Elisabeth Ohlsson Wallin, said:

"I'm not wholly anti-monarchist, but I am sensitive to the abuse of power – when people with power become arrogant and start doing whatever they want. This story is a very clear example of what happens  when power goes awry."

“It shows how they treat women badly at these lad parties. It is a picture of the degradation of women."

Down in the right corner of the montage, Queen Silvia kneels and scrubs a swastika on the floor. "It is a pity that she did not take the chance, when her background came up, to make something good out of it. It would have been really cool to have a queen who takes a stand."

http://www.aftonbladet.se...yheter/article15539732.ab

I totally agree with her Champagne

On October 2, the court's communications director Bertil Ternert told Aftonbladet, "This type of art, or whatever you call it, is something we are not commenting on. We refrain from it entirely."

But the next day, Svante Lindqvist, Marshal of the Realm, made a statement on the court's website. He told Aftonbladet, "We have never made a statement of this caliber. As a rule, the court has chosen to say no comment, but now we wanted to make a mark."

Bertil Ternert told Aftonbladet the Marshal and the court lawyer decided to make the statement.

http://www.aftonbladet.se...yheter/article15549966.ab

So…..  Bertil Ternert didn't want to comment,  Yikes  but was overruled, and Svante Lindqvist thinks his court has always said no comment. What is going on at the Swedish court?
My13

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »

The artist says she has received hate mail, maybe from rightwing extremists.

http://www.gp.se/nyheter/...ar-kungen-vill-vanda-blad

"I understand that the royal family felt the need to put their foot down, but I have no intention of issuing a formal apology or retracting the picture," artist Elisabeth Ohlson Wallin told The Local.

Ohlson Wallin was acutely aware of how explosive the image might be, having deliberated for more than a year before finally deciding to make the work public.

"We don't have enough satire in Sweden. It's underdeveloped. We don't dare to speak up and stir up debate," she said.

Good for her Champagne

Articles in English
Swedish royal fury over 'offensive' artwork
Swedish royals slam 'offensive' artwork
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »

Oh, they just need to get over themselves. You know what happens to sacred cows? They get slaughtered as an offering to the gods.  Best the royals think about that before holding themselves out as beyond subjects of satire. Certainly members of the BRF have been subjected to far far worse, and still manage to get up in the morning and go about their work.
My13

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »

Oh, they just need to get over themselves. You know what happens to sacred cows? They get slaughtered as an offering to the gods.  Best the royals think about that before holding themselves out as beyond subjects of satire. Certainly members of the BRF have been subjected to far far worse, and still manage to get up in the morning and go about their work.

ITA bumbershoot, they need to grow a thicker skin - in 2003, Victoria said tabloid articles "have given me scars in the soul". Crap
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 07:50:11 AM »

Hi, the Bild (a German tabloid) runs an article this morning. Apparently Camilla Henemark has published a "tell it all biographie"

http://www.bild.de/unterh...kt-aus-26664088.bild.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: