Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Romanovs  (Read 144969 times)
Malenkaya

Micro Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: June 29, 2019, 02:54:24 AM »

Did Grand Duke Constantine Pavlovich (1779-1831) officially have the title of Tsarevich of Russia?

Yes, however it was known as early as 1822 that Alexander I was going to appoint Nicholas I as his heir rather than Constantine. Only a select few knew this though. Constantine was no longer the official heir as of 1823 but it was not public knowledge.

Wikipedia has a very lengthy article on it.

Paul I created both of his elder sons Tsesarevich for some reason.
miliosr

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: July 21, 2019, 01:08:22 AM »

Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna never once received her son Grand Duke Michael's morganatic wife, Madame Brassova and her son, Count George Brassov.
It depends on what you mean by "received". Both Donald and Rosemary Crawford's Michael and Natasha and Coryne Hall's Little Mother of Russia discuss how the Dowager Empress did meet Grand Duke Michael's wife, Natalia, twice after their marriage -- once before the Revolution and once after. Both meetings occurred in London.

According to the Crawfords (their source being Grand Duchess Xenia's diary), the Dowager Empress summoned Michael and Natasha to see her while she was staying with her sister, Queen Alexandra, at Marlbourough House in 1913. Grand Duchess Xenia reports that the Dowager Empress, "saw his wife and told her a few home truths in front of Misha, which she repeated to me in front of him."

The Dowager Empress and Natalia met again at Marlborough House in 1919, after the British had rescued the Dowager Empress from Russia. Natalia wrote that, "She [the Dowager Empress] was rather nice to me but I feel she does not like me and will never forgive me that I married her son. She told me that I had changed so much she would never have recognized me. I could not ask if it was for the better or the worse."
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2019, 03:57:44 AM »

Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna never once received her son Grand Duke Michael's morganatic wife, Madame Brassova and her son, Count George Brassov.
It depends on what you mean by "received". Both Donald and Rosemary Crawford's Michael and Natasha and Coryne Hall's Little Mother of Russia discuss how the Dowager Empress did meet Grand Duke Michael's wife, Natalia, twice after their marriage -- once before the Revolution and once after. Both meetings occurred in London.

According to the Crawfords (their source being Grand Duchess Xenia's diary), the Dowager Empress summoned Michael and Natasha to see her while she was staying with her sister, Queen Alexandra, at Marlbourough House in 1913. Grand Duchess Xenia reports that the Dowager Empress, "saw his wife and told her a few home truths in front of Misha, which she repeated to me in front of him."

The Dowager Empress and Natalia met again at Marlborough House in 1919, after the British had rescued the Dowager Empress from Russia. Natalia wrote that, "She [the Dowager Empress] was rather nice to me but I feel she does not like me and will never forgive me that I married her son. She told me that I had changed so much she would never have recognized me. I could not ask if it was for the better or the worse."

miliosr, Thank you for explaining about Marie Feodorovna and receiving.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2019, 08:30:40 AM »

Thank you. I didn't know this and stand corrected before Empress Maria Feodorovna.
miliosr

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: July 24, 2019, 02:27:18 AM »

I don't know to what extent the Dowager Empress had a relationship with Michael and Natalia's son, George, post-Revolution. Natalia brought him to meet his grandmother at the 1919 meeting and, apparently, Marie Feodorovna, "made a fuss of her grandson." But, after that, I can't say how much contact they had or to what extent George shared in her estate after she died. (Certainly, he didn't benefit from the sale of Marie Feodorovna's jewels because even Grand Duchess Olga didn't benefit from that.)

What I do know is that, once the Dowager Empress had died, it came time to sell Hvidore, the estate she had owned jointly with her deceased sister, Queen Alexandra. Alexandra's children waived their shares of their mother's half of Hvidore so that Grand Duchess Xenia, Grand Duchess Olga and Michael's son George could all benefit from the sale.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: July 24, 2019, 07:56:37 AM »

I don't know to what extent the Dowager Empress had a relationship with Michael and Natalia's son, George, post-Revolution. Natalia brought him to meet his grandmother at the 1919 meeting and, apparently, Marie Feodorovna, "made a fuss of her grandson." But, after that, I can't say how much contact they had or to what extent George shared in her estate after she died. (Certainly, he didn't benefit from the sale of Marie Feodorovna's jewels because even Grand Duchess Olga didn't benefit from that.)

What I do know is that, once the Dowager Empress had died, it came time to sell Hvidore, the estate she had owned jointly with her deceased sister, Queen Alexandra. Alexandra's children waived their shares of their mother's half of Hvidore so that Grand Duchess Xenia, Grand Duchess Olga and Michael's son George could all benefit from the sale.

Thank you for the interesting Infos. I always felt for Natasha for losing her husband and later on her son too.

Glad to hear that MF at least met her and that he got a share from Hvidore.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: August 10, 2019, 03:52:44 AM »

Portrait of Tsarevich Nicholas Alexandrovich (1843-1865)     
He did not outlive his father, Tsar Alexander II. Otherwise, he would have been Tsar Nicholas II.   
http://www.alamy.com/gran...nknown-image60233667.html
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: September 03, 2019, 03:10:25 AM »

Grand Duke George Mikhailovich (1863-1919) through the years accumulated the finest and largest collection of Russian coins and medals.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: September 27, 2019, 03:02:59 AM »

Empress Elizabeth of Russia in the state council in 1755   
http://www.alamy.com/stoc...741-511762-111512587.html
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: October 05, 2019, 03:23:52 AM »

Alexandra of Greece, Grand Duchess Paul of Russia   
http://www.alamy.com/stoc...l-of-russia-22260979.html
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: October 08, 2019, 08:23:33 PM »

Alexandra of Greece, Grand Duchess Paul of Russia   
http://www.alamy.com/stoc...l-of-russia-22260979.html

I always feel sorry for her as her life ended so young and tragical. It came obviously also as quite a blow to her husband.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: October 22, 2019, 02:54:26 AM »

Of Tsar Ivan VI's four grandparents, only one was a Russian and a Romanov: Catherine of Mecklenburg, the sister of Empress Anna.
LucyintheSky

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: October 22, 2019, 04:03:00 AM »

Cyril Sebastian, do you have any pictures  of ‘Greek Minnie’? She’s interesting to me, like Mrs. Leeds (Anastasia) and Pss Marie Bonaparte and George of Greeces’ son Prince Peter, an Anthropologist.
I find it interesting and an example of familiarity, that Pss Anastasia’s son married her niece by marriage, Xenia

Remember you are just an extra in everyone else's play. Franklin D. Roosevelt
http://stream1.gifsoup.co...imatedgifs3/4465009_o.gif
LucyintheSky

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: October 22, 2019, 04:05:09 AM »

I want to say, also, thank you for your amazing contributions. I have learnt so much from your posts. Thank you  Beer

Remember you are just an extra in everyone else's play. Franklin D. Roosevelt
http://stream1.gifsoup.co...imatedgifs3/4465009_o.gif
Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: October 22, 2019, 10:46:48 AM »

Lucy, you can probably find her memoirs somewhere.  My own public library has the book, and I bet you can find it on eBay or through Eurohistory.com. Lots of great photos.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: