Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Romanovs  (Read 42521 times)
Ksenija

Medium Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2017, 09:18:53 AM »

The funeral of Prince Dimitri Romanov Confused

Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, Madame Romanova-Hohenzollern couldn't be bothered to attend.

...yet there's a wreath from the reigning queen of Denmark... would be interesting to see who else sent wreaths.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, Madame Romanova-Hohenzollern couldn't be bothered to attend.

...yet there's a wreath from the reigning queen of Denmark... would be interesting to see who else sent wreaths.

Perhaps still a consequence of their fight about being the real claimaint
CyrilSebastian

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2017, 11:06:17 PM »

May 26, 1896 was the day of the coronation of Nicholas II.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7z46-514rc       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWMzTBS9cNs
Curtains

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »

I put this in both places:

Randomly researching something for a hobby, I found this article on the family of Tsar Nicholas II:

http://www.sciencemag.org...oyals-suffered-hemophilia

Highlights from the article (from my perspective):

?The Tsarevitch (Alexei) had hemophilia Type B, which is far more rare than Type A;
Alexandra (which we knew) was the carrier;
Of the four daughters, only Anastasia was a carrier.
?

Helen Rappaport's book on the four daughters of Nicholas II was very specific on the point that Nicholas had put into motion a plan to name his eldest daughter as his heir after Alexei (or assuming Alexei's death before Nicholas').  Had Alexandra not gone totally around the bend (pretty well documented and the extended family really noticed it at Cowles in 1909), Olga could have been married and settled (possibly abroad) prior to the second revolution (Feb 1917) and even a mother of a child without hemophilia.  Same for Tatiana on that score.

The sheer cluelessness of the last 20 years of the dynasty is just breathtaking.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2017, 04:29:15 PM »

The sheer cluelessness of the last 20 years of the dynasty is just breathtaking.

Completely agree. For someone who had adequate schooling and great resources not available to the usual person, Nicholas was breathtakingly ignorant. He wasn't stupid, just stunted - by his parents, and by that reactionary tutor he had (Pobedstononev or however it was spelled). He also was just personally laconic - he showed zero interest in improving himself or informing himself as the times changed, instead going with the flow and doing nothing to change the tides. Russian history has only really gone well when the person running things has the intelligence to utilize the resources around him, see what's coming, and the stones to make the changes to avoid disaster (such as Catherine II - reading Massie's bio on her. She was gifted in these areas); Nicholas was far too passive and educationally/emotionally stunted.

But it wasn't just him:
  • it was mentioned upthread about Alix's disastrous effect on events. Nicholas himself was bad; his rudderless reign with Alix as his outboard motor was a complete disaster.
  • until Alix started asserting herself, Nicholas' mother was interfering with things
  • add to it the interference of Nicholas' overbearing uncles, who he was completely intimidated by
  • toss in some religious whackadoodle stuff, before, during and after Rasputin
  • the complete lack of support from his brother and cousins - later, in some cases, in treason (even though things were so far gone by that point that it really didn't matter
  • the complete change in Russian society and the effect on industrialization on their society, and Nicholas being completely out of touch with it
  • the fatal blow being, of course, a war that would have happened one way or the other that exposed the twenty years of incompetent leadership during Nicholas' reign - the military was outdated, with terrible leadership, poor training, poor weapons/supplies/logisitics
  • ...and the bullet points can go on forever, all of them laid at Nicholas' feet

It was a perfect storm with Nicholas as its catalyst. Even had he married someone different, I think it still would not have ended well. Too many things were set in motion before Nicholas was even born for the course of history to change. This period needed an Ivan the Terrible, a Peter, a Catherine, and poor Mother Russia got... Nicky. Yikes.

But to me, the worst thing of all was that he did not seem to care that he was taking all of his loved ones and his extended family down with him, like helpless cattle to slaughter. He knew it was coming - so many biographers have pointed that out over the last century - and he did absolutely nothing to try and avoid it. Inexcusable.

Eya

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: March 08, 2017, 07:58:33 AM »

http://www.express.co.uk/...1984-display-local-museum

Last Empress of Russia's gifts bought for twins in Harrogate in 1894 go on display at local museum
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: