Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Romanovs  (Read 91765 times)
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: January 06, 2019, 04:18:28 PM »

He's almost 40 and still sending out joint cards with Mummy.

Yuck.

esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: January 06, 2019, 06:32:15 PM »

They are unfortunate looking.
If mummy wants the"line" to continue, she needs to make him marry and produce baby Romanov dumplings
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: January 06, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »

Tsarina Alexandra was German by birth. For the Imperial Family and for Russians generally, she remained Nemka, the German woman.   
However Alix (Alexandra) of Hesse-Darmstadt was not the only Tsarina from Germany. Other ladies included Charlotte of Prussia and Marie of Hesse and by Rhine.
PrincessOdette

Micro Member

stay classy and sassy, my friends

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: January 06, 2019, 10:59:58 PM »

Tsarina Alexandra was German by birth. For the Imperial Family and for Russians generally, she remained Nemka, the German woman.   
However Alix (Alexandra) of Hesse-Darmstadt was not the only Tsarina from Germany. Other ladies included Charlotte of Prussia and Marie of Hesse and by Rhine.
Catherine the Great was also German by birth so you would think it wouldn’t have been such a big deal. I think it was more of the general Russian dislike for Germany in the years leading up to WWI that was transferred unto Alexandra
genegal43

Large Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: January 07, 2019, 12:22:08 AM »

He's almost 40 and still sending out joint cards with Mummy.

Yuck.

Star  Yes, yuck!

They are unfortunate looking.
If mummy wants the"line" to continue, she needs to make him marry and produce baby Romanov dumplings

Star  Most likely it wouldn't be an equal marriage...   Whistle

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: January 07, 2019, 12:56:20 AM »

Back at you genegal43 Star
Carreen

Baby Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: January 11, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »

Catherine the Great was also German by birth so you would think it wouldn’t have been such a big deal. I think it was more of the general Russian dislike for Germany in the years leading up to WWI that was transferred unto Alexandra

No, there was for many years a strategic friendship between Russia and Prussia/Germany.

I think one factor among others was the influence of Minnie, the Danish princess Dagmar who married the Russian tsar Alexander III. The Danish royal family loathed Germany (although of course they had German roots, too) because of the conflict about the duchy of Schleswig, and Bismarck's Danish war (one of the three wars he used to give Prussia the leading role in German unification). Minnie's sister Alix, married to Edward VII, had the same negative opinion about Germany and Germans, or more precisely, against Prussia. It's understandable but it's still unfortunate. (Karina Urbach's book about Ango-German relations is a great source for people who want to know more about the difficile net of relationships between British and German royal houses).

Alexander III and Minnie didn't want a German princess from a minor house, although Alexandra herself felt more English than German when she married, and cut her emotional ties to Germany so thoroughly that she identified completely with Russia. What a tragedy that Russians didn't know that at the time.

The Danish anti-Prussian influence was strong but of course it couldn't have played out so well if Kaiser Wilhelm II had not given it fuel all the time even before he climbed the throne in 1888. His awkward efforts to cultivate a special relationship with Alexander III and later with Nicholas II were contra-productive and embarrassing, and he raised everybody's suspicion and antagonism.

On a personal level, I still think it's strange. Alix of Wales had a very good and warm relationship with her sister-in-law Alice, Alexandra's mother, and Alix was Alexandra's godmother (who was even originally called Alix, nicknamed Alicky). I can't imagine why Alix of Wales and Minnie of Russia, on such good terms as they were, didn't treat young Alexandra more cordially. Probably I'm naive and Alexandra certainly did enough to set up her mother-in-law's back... but they're family, after all.

I think the anti-Prussian feeling, understandable as it is, is not enough as explanation. After all, Hesse-Darmstadt itself had suffered from the Prussians. And a general anti-German feelings are not a good explanation, either, as Alexander III himself had a mother from Hesse-Darmstadt.

There were no such feelings against Ella, Alexandra's sister, who married a Romanov Grand Duke. She was accepted into the fold. As were Miechen and Mavra, German princesses who married into the Romanov family a short time before Alexandra and could have helped to smoothe her way.

No, it must have been something really personal, a deep feeling that Alexandra didn't fulfill her role as she should. Minnie had prejudices against a German princess but if it had been a princess like Ella, she would have overcome them. But instead they got painfully shy and sometimes quite arrogant Alexandra whose intentions were so good but who had neither health nor inclination necessary for her position. What a tragedy.

(I'm reading right now Gareth Russell's The Emperors, fascinating reading and quite fair to Alexandra).

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: January 11, 2019, 11:25:06 AM »

Carreen thank you for this interesting info and the tip about the book(s)!  Thumb up

I can remember I have also heard or read something about that the Russian royals had their doubts about the physical health of Alix (haemophilia).

Perhaps also in the book(s) of Sebag Montefiore.
Curtains

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: January 11, 2019, 01:25:45 PM »

Thank heaven for wide-angle lenses.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: January 11, 2019, 02:33:38 PM »

Even this one struggles to cope.

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: January 11, 2019, 10:42:58 PM »

And for paper towels to wipe up all the water I just spit across the screen when I read your comment.  Star   Laugh bounce Laughing Laugh bounce Laughing
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: January 12, 2019, 05:26:40 PM »

The generalissimo and his momma, how lovely. To be sure they are hardly recognizable in this appearance. Yes, momma wore her hair in her signature look but without the kokoshnik, it simply isn't the same.
I love the way they agreed to have their picture taken from below, it is so down to earth, signals the way people show up to them and showcases their double chins to perfection.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Malenkaya

Baby Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: January 13, 2019, 05:05:08 AM »

It seems like Maria wants the Romanov "legacy" (or whatever she thinks it is) to die with her. If she can't have it, by gosh darn no one will have it! Poor Georgie is going to be lost once Maria passes on. He won't know what to do with himself without having to accompany his mother to every event she wrangles an invite to! I bet that their relationship is much like Agnes and Seymour Skinner from the Simpsons.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: January 13, 2019, 11:02:14 PM »

Even this one struggles to cope.

And then even the headgear of Madame is missing, a bit more informal
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: January 13, 2019, 11:03:00 PM »

The generalissimo and his momma, how lovely. To be sure they are hardly recognizable in this appearance. Yes, momma wore her hair in her signature look but without the kokoshnik, it simply isn't the same.
I love the way they agreed to have their picture taken from below, it is so down to earth, signals the way people show up to them and showcases their double chins to perfection.

Laugh bounce Laugh bounce
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: