Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downton Abbey  (Read 36010 times)
BessieWallis Warfield

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:54:33 AM »

I love this show.  I will repeat that.  I love this show!

Anyone else think that Mary, Edith and Sybil are just a Marcia, Jan and Cindy Brady of yesteryear?  Even their names sound similar (just think of Edith as "Eve Plumb" and not Jan).

TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 02:43:48 AM »

Hadn't thought about the Brady girls connection. I just found some photos on my favorite tabloid site (DM anyone?) and shared them with my Dad yesterday. He loves Downtown Abbey too and is ready for it to return.
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:53:19 AM »

I end up always feeling a bit bad for Edith.... As for Mary and Matthew, I find him a bit too sanctimonious and get a little tired of her I-always-get-what-I-want attitude.
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »

Jumping    i love it too!  i can't wait for the new season to start  Champagne shirley maclaine & maggie smith in the same scene OMG  i'd watch either one of them read the phone book but together in character is going to be fabulous (HOPE WE get LOTS of scenes of just them and they hate each other, it'd be so much more fun)

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
BessieWallis Warfield

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »

Jumping    i love it too!  i can't wait for the new season to start  Champagne shirley maclaine & maggie smith in the same scene OMG  i'd watch either one of them read the phone book but together in character is going to be fabulous (HOPE WE get LOTS of scenes of just them and they hate each other, it'd be so much more fun)

Oh, Shirley and Maggie will steal the whole show, IMO.  Out of the three sisters, only Edith can act her way out of a paper bag.  The other two are way overrated in terms of acting abilities.  Cora's just a damn bore.  I was hoping that the flu would carry her off so that Robert (who I think is cute) could have had some fun with that maid, or someone else. 
katerzzz

Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »

I think, for the sake of me being an amateur writer myself, Julian Fellowes should not have got Mary and Matthew together. I don't like the way Mary is constructed, IMO, as a pretty little rich girl who after enough whining and long-stares gets what she wants. IMO, it would've been more fun to see her married off to the 1920s version of Rupert Murdoch (forgot his name) and living a life she HATES, rather than a sugary little life as future Countess of Grantham. But, hopelly Julian will impress me when the series returns and have something tragic happen to them (like the loss of a baby or something) 'cos I really can't stick the sugary love-dove story that seems to be going on between the two atm.

Also, as per the Daily Mail's SECRET spoiler photos, looks like Edith gets hitched to the old guy who she tried to shack up with at Christmas....

So, fingers crossed for the new series.....good thing is I will be at Uni when that starts so I will be able to watch all the episodes other than when my parents allow me to control the telly! 
Chris

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »

I end up always feeling a bit bad for Edith.... As for Mary and Matthew, I find him a bit too sanctimonious and get a little tired of her I-always-get-what-I-want attitude.

I agree with you about poor old Edith, Barrie.  She seems willing to try to snag any man...Matthew, the old guy with the gimpy arm, the married farmer, even the Titanic survivor-cum-heir...all in an effort to marry and get the heck out of Downton.  I have to disagree with you about Mary and Matthew, though.  While Mary's definitely got an attitude, I think her run-in with Mr. Pamuk brought her down to earth enough so she's no longer too obnoxious.  And Matthew was a bad enough boy to keep the Mary fires burning all during his relationship with Lavinia.  I was almost hoping he'd marry Lavinia and keep Mary as an extra bit on the side.  Too bad about the Spanish flu!  Like most of the western world, I'm looking forward to season 3.  It sounds like Edith will finally make it down the aisle...thank goodness.  And I wonder when the Canadian Titanic guy will resurface.  I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.    
katerzzz

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »

Yes, Chris, it will be interesting to see if the Titanic bloke resurfaces....
Also, I never fully worked out if she lost her virginity to Pamuk or not...? Are we supposed to know or is it an open ended question?
Chris

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 06:09:40 PM »

Also, I never fully worked out if she lost her virginity to Pamuk or not...? Are we supposed to know or is it an open ended question?

If I remember correctly, she was encouraged to participate in the midnight romp when Mr. Pamuk assured her she'd go to her husband still a virgin.  So I assume she's TECHNICALLY Matthew's for the taking, but she now knows what to look forward to.  If you get my drift!
katerzzz

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »

If I remember correctly, she was encouraged to participate in the midnight romp when Mr. Pamuk assured her she'd go to her husband still a virgin.  So I assume she's TECHNICALLY Matthew's for the taking, but she now knows what to look forward to.  If you get my drift!

Ahhhh......  Grin Okay...thank you. Grin My friend and I had a long discussion over a McDonalds about this and still didn't clear it up.

I'd like to see Mr Pamuk's friend who brought him to Downton resurface (Napier someone or other...) like to see if he got a girl during the war.
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 12:57:44 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.u...MacLaine-makes-debut.html

the video link doesn't work  Sad but i can't wait!

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 01:59:43 AM »

I cannot wait for Downton Abbey to return for Season 3!!
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 02:16:31 AM »

It should be good! So excited to see Shirley McClain and Maggie Smith go head to head. I wonder how Sybil's marriage and pregnancy will be handled. Somehow I expected her husband to be killed and she comes back to live at Downton with their child.
BessieWallis Warfield

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 06:54:48 PM »

It should be good! So excited to see Shirley McClain and Maggie Smith go head to head. I wonder how Sybil's marriage and pregnancy will be handled. Somehow I expected her husband to be killed and she comes back to live at Downton with their child.

I think that's very likely.   They are in Dublin during The Troubles and he has a titled British wife.  They'll be forced to live much like a mixed race couple in Mississippi in the 1950's. 
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »

Downton received 16 Emmy nominations today!!! Not too shabby  Thumb up

ETA the categories:
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Michelle Dockery
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Hugh Bonneville
Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Maggie Smith ( ) and Joanne Froggart
Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Brendan Coyle and Jim Carter
Best Drama Series