Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downton Abbey  (Read 36355 times)
abs

Humongous Member

Svalbard and Jan Mayen Svalbard and Jan Mayen

Illegal substances? MOI???!!!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »

Love Downton Abbey too! A bit like watching a childrenīs series made for grown ups. Nothing wrong with a little escapism from time to time.  Thumb up

SEXY,SEXY!!!
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »

Downton received 16 Emmy nominations today!!! Not too shabby  Thumb up

ETA the categories:
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Michelle Dockery
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Hugh Bonneville
Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Maggie Smith ( ) and Joanne Froggart
Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Brendan Coyle and Jim Carter
Best Drama Series

Star Banana Yea!!!!
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »

I watched the show now for the first time.
Hmm..
Nah....Not my cup of tea. It was the episode where Pamuk died. Maybe it was one of the boring episodes, not sure 
But it cracked me up when I saw the castle, hoped to see Bertie Wooster and Tuppy  Cool
cowgrrl

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 08:26:09 PM »

Not to try & convince you that it MUST be your cup of tea but things really seem to take off after Pamuk dies. It's basically the linchpin for the entire first season.
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »

Okay, then I will look for the other episodes  Wink
abs

Humongous Member

Svalbard and Jan Mayen Svalbard and Jan Mayen

Illegal substances? MOI???!!!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »

The episodes are basically like childrensī stories - totally harmless and the "good" always wins in the end. I liked watching it as a form of escapism, but donīt expect great art! 

SEXY,SEXY!!!
BessieWallis Warfield

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 10:11:17 PM »

The episodes are basically like childrensī stories - totally harmless and the "good" always wins in the end. I liked watching it as a form of escapism, but donīt expect great art! 

I hadn't thought  of it that way - childrens' stories - like a Brady Bunch meets Upstairs/Downstairs.  I suppose your right, but I do love some escapism and the costumes!
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »

Out of the three sisters, only Edith can act her way out of a paper bag.  The other two are way overrated in terms of acting abilities.
I agree that Laura Carmichael is *very* good as Edith. But I think that Michelle Dockery underplays her scenes beautifully, which is quite difficult to do. (No comment re the acting ability of Jessica Brown Findlay as Sybil  Wink  )

Cora's just a damn bore.
IMO, Elizabeth McGovern is really the one who can't "act her way out of a paper bag"...

I enjoy Downton a great deal (although I am *nowhere* near as invested in the characters as I was with those in the original Upstairs, Downstairs.)  The best thing about Downton, for me, is that my 85-yr-old Dad loves it and we talk about it at great length. He can't wait to see the next series...I just hope he is still here to enjoy it.
BessieWallis Warfield

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 12:55:29 AM »

Out of the three sisters, only Edith can act her way out of a paper bag.  The other two are way overrated in terms of acting abilities.
I agree that Laura Carmichael is *very* good as Edith. But I think that Michelle Dockery underplays her scenes beautifully, which is quite difficult to do. (No comment re the acting ability of Jessica Brown Findlay as Sybil  Wink  )

Cora's just a damn bore.
IMO, Elizabeth McGovern is really the one who can't "act her way out of a paper bag"...

I enjoy Downton a great deal (although I am *nowhere* near as invested in the characters as I was with those in the original Upstairs, Downstairs.)  The best thing about Downton, for me, is that my 85-yr-old Dad loves it and we talk about it at great length. He can't wait to see the next series...I just hope he is still here to enjoy it.

Editor, my older dad loves it too!  He's only seen the first season but during his next visit I plan on sitting him down and we can watch season two together. 

I kinda wish Cora had died of flu last season and Lord Grantham met some really great woman .... is that wrong???
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »

Cora's just a damn bore.

Editor, my older dad loves it too!  He's only seen the first season but during his next visit I plan on sitting him down and we can watch season two together. 

I kinda wish Cora had died of flu last season and Lord Grantham met some really great woman .... is that wrong???
  My dad is a huge fan too.
hanzo1

Most Exalted Member

Costa Rica Costa Rica

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 05:41:29 PM »

how nice for you all my dad always watching the history channel and whatever war they are talking about I couldn't care less about war strategy  Snore   Laugh bounce

Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?

Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »

Itīs weird how the show begins with the bottom of a dog  Laugh bounce
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 09:20:53 PM »

Okay, I think the role of Edith is my favourite one and I love that Rose Leslie is in this. I donīt care for this romance between Mary and the blondie, both are bland.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »

Nope
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »

Itīs weird how the show begins with the bottom of a dog  Laugh bounce

Maybe Downton Abbey is really a pseudonym for Dog Arse Tongue

Personally, I love the show.  It's total escapism IMO.  I can't wait for it to come back.  The Dowager Countess is my fave. Yes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: