Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William's interview with Katie Couric  (Read 12753 times)
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 10:19:05 PM »

I scoff at the idea that the Queen carved her way.

The palace was set up to deal with all royal engagements and commitments, the only navigation that is done is by the staff who make it possible for the Queen to operate with a minimum of fuss - it's the staff that run the calendar and the palace - anyone could carve their way if carving means directing the staff to do it!

Exactly. All public figures whether it's the Queen, David Cameron or an ordinary MP will have someone who manages their diary. If you've ever watched BBC Parliament and spotted an MP sitting in the Commons looking at his phone I can guarantee you that 9 times out of 10 it's a message from their researcher telling them to get to their next meeting. 

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 03:08:00 AM »

The palace was set up to deal with all royal engagements and commitments, the only navigation that is done is by the staff who make it possible for the Queen to operate with a minimum of fuss - it's the staff that run the calendar and the palace - anyone could carve their way if carving means directing the staff to do it!
 I can agree with you to some degree, but IMHO HM did "carve her own path" by permitting the then new medium television to be used at her own coronation and at official functions. Since then she's permitted the use of the internet to benefit the BRF.

Like all monarchs before her she has used the staff and equipment available to help the BRF plan their events and to make them happen. However, I do believe that she was the one who determined how visible the BRF would be to the nation and the Commonwealth. With the aid of  modern transportation the BRF members can be dispatched to any nation in the Commonwealth to represent the monarch. She also did this during the first decades of her reign when governments were truly a "boys only" club.

I know that I'm looking at this from across the Atlantic, but from here I can agree with her grandson.

gudgeon

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 03:56:19 AM »

Thumb up  agreed! Especially since it's not as if she was the first ever queen of England/GB or anything. I'm quite sure it was just as difficult for the queens who came before her! More whining by this ridiculous family who want us all to feel sorry for how hard they have it.   Roll Eyes

My adventures in baking: http://bakedtoorder.blogspot.com/ 
tudorfan

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 04:37:55 AM »

He likes using that term.  In the engagement interview, he said that Kate has to "carve her own future" or something like that, when they compared her to Diana.  Just canned talk I guess.

"I was the one who was always pitched out front, whether it was my clothes, what I said, what my hair was doing, everything - which was a pretty dull subject, actually, and it's been exhausted over the years." - Diana
tgb

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 06:44:05 AM »

But she has in a way carved out what her role will be in a hugely different society than royals before her -- even deciding whether or not weddings and events should be televised, how to deal with media, etc. Queen Victoria would faint at the suggestion she should visit an untidy pre-school in [insert town here], but I've seen QEII do it with kids kicking soccer balls at her while helpers made bad conversation. She is a different sort of queen because we are in a different sort of time, and though she may have a massive staff to help run her public life it is still she who makes decisions that move the royal family constantly through uncharted territory. It's not like the first Elizabeth set down a template of a constitutional monarch in the paparazzi age or hired someone to run her Facebook page or determined how her family should deal with intercepted tampon chats. QEII may not be Susan B. Anthony, but she has had to navigate some tricky waters. 

I don't think William meant that she carved her own calendar or answered her own phone calls. But even the time she became Queen was a shockingly different society than what we have now, and she has had to learn as she went how to 'modernize'.
just me
Banned
Big Member

India India

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »

After watching this show William comes out a manipulative and a man who is very good with words and not actions.i found it weird that he keeps mentioning his mother and her supposedly approval of him as a person and his choices in life like doolittle, it is like he knows that he is living off Diana's good will and need people to remember that he is her little boy and needed to be seen in that light.

Secondly did any one else noticed how the private William who do not like media or talking about his private life and is very protective of his and doolittle's privacy told the whole world that he planning on having children when asked about his royal duties.he thinks he is very smart that he will add more fuel to media obsession with the pregnancy and will get away with doing what he has been doing for years .the moment his work came up he started talking about the baby making me confident that poor unborn baby will be used as an excuse to do either the minimum that they are doing right now or to do even less then what they are doing.these two are pathetic,i thing republicans will be holding a party in their honour.
Cara

Humongous Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »

diana would most likely have approved of william and be proud of him. same with harry. most mothers do exactly that with their children in general and sons in particular. JMO.
Heather1229

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »

I thought both William and Harry gave thoughtful and honest interviews. They reflected warmly regarding their thoughts of their Grandmother.
BessieWallis Warfield

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »

diana would most likely have approved of william and be proud of him. same with harry. most mothers do exactly that with their children in general and sons in particular. JMO.

Yes!  Those boys would have done no wrong in her book.
tudorfan

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »

Except perhaps, not choosing the right bride, but we'll never know for sure.  I always wondered if Diana would have been a mother like Jackie where no girl is good enough for her boy. 

"I was the one who was always pitched out front, whether it was my clothes, what I said, what my hair was doing, everything - which was a pretty dull subject, actually, and it's been exhausted over the years." - Diana
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »

But she has in a way carved out what her role will be in a hugely different society than royals before her -- even deciding whether or not weddings and events should be televised, how to deal with media, etc. Queen Victoria would faint at the suggestion she should visit an untidy pre-school in [insert town here], but I've seen QEII do it with kids kicking soccer balls at her while helpers made bad conversation. She is a different sort of queen because we are in a different sort of time, and though she may have a massive staff to help run her public life it is still she who makes decisions that move the royal family constantly through uncharted territory. It's not like the first Elizabeth set down a template of a constitutional monarch in the paparazzi age or hired someone to run her Facebook page or determined how her family should deal with intercepted tampon chats. QEII may not be Susan B. Anthony, but she has had to navigate some tricky waters. 

I don't think William meant that she carved her own calendar or answered her own phone calls. But even the time she became Queen was a shockingly different society than what we have now, and she has had to learn as she went how to 'modernize'.
Star ITA. The Queen has seen so many changes in the UK and the world during her reign. She has had to adapt the way the monarchy and the BRF would be accessible to the people of the nation and the Commonwealth, but hold on to the traditions associated with the Crown.
BessieWallis Warfield

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »

Except perhaps, not choosing the right bride, but we'll never know for sure.  I always wondered if Diana would have been a mother like Jackie where no girl is good enough for her boy. 

I have always believed that.  But she would have blamed the girl, not her precious son.
tudorfan

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »

I have always believed that.  But she would have blamed the girl, not her precious son.

I had a slight evil laugh when he said he wished his mum would have met Kate.  I'm thinking Kate would probably not have wanted to meet his mum, or there would be no Duchess of Cambridge.   Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: