Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Dukedom Will Harry Get When He Gets Married?  (Read 64105 times)
StephanieDesiree

Big Member

United States United States

I look good, but I am such a bitch.

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2012, 03:07:55 AM »

Clarence?

Sussex?

Windsor?

I have no clue how this works.  Anyone know which ones are out there?

Pippa catches the scent of a wealthy bachelor.

Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:20:59 AM »

I think the King or Queen gives a title which fits to the Prince.

Sussex
Buckingham and Chandos
Cleveland
Inverness
Connaught
Clarence and Avondale
Windsor
Kendal
Lancaster
Norfolk
Montagu
Leeds
Shrewsbury
etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w..._of_Dukedoms_into_England

I would love Connaught or Clarence (but the last bearer was Prince Albert Victor  Nerves )
StephanieDesiree

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:40:16 AM »

Sussex
Buckingham and Chandos
Cleveland
Inverness
Connaught
Clarence and Avondale
Windsor
Kendal
Lancaster
Norfolk
Montagu
Leeds
Shrewsbury
etc.

I would love Connaught or Clarence (but the last bearer was Prince Albert Victor  Nerves )

Looking at your Wikipedia link and knowing Harry, I would say the Duke of Bedford.. *cough*

Although I love the idea of Somerset!  It's such a lovely word and it evokes images of fiery reds and oranges...

StephanieDesiree

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 03:42:53 AM »

Sussex
Buckingham and Chandos
Cleveland
Inverness
Connaught
Clarence and Avondale
Windsor
Kendal
Lancaster
Norfolk
Montagu
Leeds
Shrewsbury
etc.

But certainly not Cleveland!! The duchy was created by Charles II for his mistress Barbra Villiers.

Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:47:21 AM »

Sadly not all title are free it list. The current Duke of Somerset is John Seymour and the current Duke of Bedford is Andrew Russell.

The assembled: (from left to right) 1. James Graham, 8th Duke of Montrose; 2. David Manners, 11th Duke of Rutland; 3. John Seymour, 19th Duke of Somerset; 4. Ralph Percy, 12th Duke of Northumberland; 5. Andrew Russell, 15th Duke of Bedford; 6. Edward Fizalan-Howard, 18th Duke of Norfolk; 7. Torquhil Campbell, 18th Duke of Argyll; 8. Maurice FitzGerald, 9th Duke of Leinster; 9. Murray Beauclerk, 14th Duke of St Albans; 10. Arthur Wellesey, 8th Duke of Wellington.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.u...s-them.html#ixzz1x4GsSRvP
StephanieDesiree

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:53:52 AM »

Sadly not all title are free it list. The current Duke of Somerset is John Seymour and the current Duke of Bedfod is Andrew Russell.

The assembled: (from left to right) 1. James Graham, 8th Duke of Montrose; 2. David Manners, 11th Duke of Rutland; 3. John Seymour, 19th Duke of Somerset; 4. Ralph Percy, 12th Duke of Northumberland; 5. Andrew Russell, 15th Duke of Bedford; 6. Edward Fizalan-Howard, 18th Duke of Norfolk; 7. Torquhil Campbell, 18th Duke of Argyll; 8. Maurice FitzGerald, 9th Duke of Leinster; 9. Murray Beauclerk, 14th Duke of St Albans; 10. Arthur Wellesey, 8th Duke of Wellington.

Well shoot!  Where is a list of the available ones?  For now then, I'll go with Sussex and Connaught.  Ooohhhh.  What about Suffolk?  Or Warwick?  So he was a traitor a few hundred years ago.  Richmond also has a very royal pedigree.  Richmond may be my new favorite.

getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:42:28 AM »

Sadly not all title are free it list. The current Duke of Somerset is John Seymour and the current Duke of Bedford is Andrew Russell.

You know MWF, they look like they've gathered for a hooker partry 

Star for this gem of a photo Champagne

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 05:19:50 AM »

Sadly not all title are free it list. The current Duke of Somerset is John Seymour and the current Duke of Bedfod is Andrew Russell.

Well shoot!  Where is a list of the available ones?  For now then, I'll go with Sussex and Connaught.  Ooohhhh.  What about Suffolk?  Or Warwick?  So he was a traitor a few hundred years ago.  Richmond also has a very royal pedigree.  Richmond may be my new favorite.

Harry can't be the Duke of Suffolk. That title belongs to my future second husband Henry Cavill. He owned it on The Tudors.  Drool
esther angeline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 05:29:58 AM »

I think they will not use Duke of Windsor as that still has negative connotations in the House of Windsor.
The Duke of Norfolk is out as it is already in use ( and has been in use for hundreds of years) in the  Fizalan- Howard family.  Duke of Albany wouldn't be bad.  Leopold was Duke of Albany and was very beloved by Queen Victoria.  The Duke of Lancaster is used by the Monarch.
PrincessMLA
Banned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »

Sussex
Buckingham and Chandos
Cleveland
Inverness
Connaught
Clarence and Avondale
Windsor
Kendal
Lancaster
Norfolk
Montagu
Leeds
Shrewsbury
etc.

It will be an English one, so Inverness is out. They are usually given a English duchy, Scotish earldome and an Irish barony.

William: Duke of Cambridg (english), Earl of Strathearn (Scottish), Baron Carrickfergus (Irish)

Some that are currently not in use:
Lancaster
Clarence
Hereford
Aumale
Exeter
Surrey
Clarence
Buckingham
Suffolk (last held by Lady Jane's dad so maybe not the best connotation)
Monmouth
Portsmouth
Cleveland
Bolton
Schomberg
Ancaster
Newcastle
Portland
wharton
Greenwich
Chandos
Dorset

and so on

I'd love to see a title that has not been used for some time. And one if possible, doesn't have any real negative family connotations. Its also possible, he may be made an Earl, if the queen intends for him to be Duke of York when his Uncle dies. Like Edward was made an earl, with intention of being Duke of Edinburgh, when Charles is king.  Edward's title didn't even exist, came from Shakespeare in love.

luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:00:18 AM »

Connaught would be impossible as the place is in the Republic of Ireland.

Inverness would be out as it is an Earldom usually given with Duke of York (last two or three occasions York has had the Inverness Earldom).

Sussex is most likely.

York - no way - Andrew still have 30+ years in him and so William will probably want it for his own second child as well as the fact that we can't rule out Andrew marrying again a young woman who could give him a son who would inherit that title.

Albany is also out as although it is currently in abeyance there is a holder so until all the male heirs of Leopold die out Albany can't be regranted - nor can Cumberland.
Lolly

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »

I like the sound of Sussex.
PrincessMLA
Banned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:13 AM »

Correct, Andrew is Earl of Inverness.

York I don't think is out. Harry could be made an Earl like Edward, and be made Duke when his Uncle dies. Edward was made earl over 13 years ago, and if his mother lives as long as say her mother, it could be another 14 years, making Edward wait well over 25 years to be Duke of Edinburgh (the title goes to Chuck, only his when merges with crown when Chuck is king). I don't think Andrew is likely to wed after all these years, unless back to Fergie.

Though I hope for a surprise, I agree Sussex or Clarence, which were two front runners for William.
LadyBunion

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »

Sussex  I reckon

Clarence (& Avondale) still has some dubious history...

tatty

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 11:17:29 AM »

Sussex
Buckingham and Chandos
Cleveland
Inverness
Connaught
Clarence and Avondale
Windsor
Kendal
Lancaster
Norfolk
Montagu
Leeds
Shrewsbury
etc.

The Queen is the Duke of Lancaster so that's taken.
The Duke of Norfolk is an extant title.

Although some of the above titles may not be ducal titles, they are earldoms (where there has been no direct heir to the dukedom and so a more distant relative becomes an earl, as earldoms have less strict inheritance) e.g. - Earl of Shrewsbury.

A few of the titles are recently very closely tied to other aristocratic families so I don't think the Queen would issue them (Buckingham & Chandos, Montagu, Newcastle-under-Lyne).

I think it would probably be Duke of Sussex or maybe Duke of Clarence.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: