Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Titles  (Read 8866 times)
Herazeus
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 04:17:00 AM »

Herazeus, the title of duke of York was *not* "always" given to the second son of a "sitting monarch."  Frederick was never king, but his second son was indeed created duke of York by his grandfather.  George V's father was not a sitting monarch when he received the title. 

I'm very interested in the Wars of the Roses --where did you read about a "settlement" about the title from the Wars of Roses? 

Frederick's second son was given York after Frederick died and his children had been upgraded such that they sat in a similar position as if they were children rather than grandchildren. Meaning, technically they were grandchildren, but in the light of Frederick's death, they moved into first and second positions in the line of succession thus fulfilling the criteria needed for who holds the title of POW and York.

George V's father was never York. He was Victoria's eldest son and granted POW in 1841, a month after he was born. For the one month prior, he was Rothesay and Cornwall.

Victoria never used York despite the title becoming vacant a decade before she was Queen.

The York settlement wasn't a formal agreement set out in documents.  Perhaps calling it a settlement is misleading. It was a series of symbolic acts carried out by Tudor to unify the two sides of the conflicting branches of the royal house that kept the York house visibly displayed to appease the Yorkist faction and maintain their support. To that end, he married Elizabeth of York, he named his second son York, just like the very popular Edward whose supporters he needed, and he created a Tudor Rose emblem that displayed the white rose of York within the red rose of Lancaster.

The reason the Yorkists had to be appeased was because despite winning the crown via battle, the Tudors' claim to the throne was tenuous at best, and from a doubly illegitimate line. The tudors later became masters at PR to deflect from these 2 points.

Btw, as a war of the roses afficianado, have you watched the latest documentary on it by Lucy Worsley?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dANvIjbtuDk

To be honest i agree with her thesis because of the available documentation, but also because the 100yrs war supports it too.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:29:13 AM by Herazeus » Logged
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 06:38:25 PM »

Harry may surprise us all: quit his public life, move to Canada, and live in sin with [the unmentionable] there for the rest of his life.

*pause*

Naaaaah. Not happening. But at this juncture, I've stopped caring. Both of the Wales boys are so devoid of judgment, character and as sources of interest that Harry could be made Duke of Whogivesadamn and I wouldn't even blink.

KimmySue

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 11:55:13 PM »

Harry may surprise us all: quit his public life, move to Canada, and live in sin with [the unmentionable] there for the rest of his life.

*pause*

Naaaaah. Not happening. But at this juncture, I've stopped caring. Both of the Wales boys are so devoid of judgment, character and as sources of interest that Harry could be made Duke of Whogivesadamn and I wouldn't even blink.

Laughing I agree!!
RoyalMusings

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 11:55:29 PM »

I know York is Andrew's until he dies. Could Harry be granted it once Andrew passes since he will be the monarch's 2nd son?

editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 12:05:16 AM »

I know York is Andrew's until he dies. Could Harry be granted it once Andrew passes since he will be the monarch's 2nd son?
I have a feeling spoiled-rotten Andrew is going to try to strongarm persuade his overindulgent Mummy to grant the York title to HoliBea in her own right.
rosella
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 03:27:17 AM »

British royals aren't granted two Dukedoms. Considering how long the Windsors live for, Andrew could have another thirty or forty years to live. Harry could hang around as Prince Harry in those circumstances until his seventies, IMO very unlikely to happen. As Harry is almost certain to be given a Dukedom on marriage like William, it's highly unlikely he'll get York. The future George V was a special exception (as grandson of a monarch) as his older brother had died.
RoyalMusings

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 04:31:13 AM »

British royals aren't granted two Dukedoms. Considering how long the Windsors live for, Andrew could have another thirty or forty years to live. Harry could hang around as Prince Harry in those circumstances until his seventies, IMO very unlikely to happen. As Harry is almost certain to be given a Dukedom on marriage like William, it's highly unlikely he'll get York. The future George V was a special exception (as grandson of a monarch) as his older brother had died.

Thanks for the answer.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2019, 10:35:24 PM »

During the reign of King George I, the title of Duke of Edinburgh was created on July 15, 1726 for Prince Frederick Louis, George I's grandson. The title Duke of Edinburgh merged with the Crown in 1760.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 12:13:09 AM »

One point in dealing with royal titles concerns the use of the article "the". A prince or princess who is a child of the monarch rates its use in their formal title. Thus, "The Prince Andrew" or "The Princess Anne". The article "the" is capitalized. Prince Michael of Kent is not The Prince Michael of Kent.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2019, 04:01:41 AM »

A history on the title Duke of Cambridge   
http://www.royalcentral.c...-duke-of-cambridge-118812
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: