Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Olympics 2012  (Read 186009 times)
Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1125 on: August 15, 2012, 03:12:59 AM »

I just have to say how pissed off I am at NBC for their lack of coverage of Rhythmic Gymnastics.  I love watching it and though it isn't on the map in the U.S., I think it's a totally underrated sport.  The whole point of NBC commandeering 4 or 5 of their networks for Olympic coverage was to make sure that all of the events were broadcasted.  I got to watch a whole 10 minutes of the all-around final which only allowed for three performances in two of the four apparatus.

Sad  Sorry you missed it.  NBC did show a lot more than 10 minutes.  I'm thinking that what happened is that you tuned in when it showed up on NBC Olympics site schedule time to be aired.  What I found is that sometimes the prior event coverage over ran it's time causing the start of the rhythmic gymnastics coverage to be delayed.  The next event's coverage would still start at its scheduled time.  The trick was to keep watching.  Even though other air times were not listed, more rhythmic gymnastics coverage would be shown between other events.  I saw the whole finals and most of the semifinals on NBC.

This is the first year I have watched the rhythmic gymnastics.  I typically watch artistic gymnastics in the Olympics and the other major competitions.  Now, I'll be looking into watching more rhythmic gymnastics competitions.  I hope they air them on US tv.

That is exactly what happened.  I relied on the scheduled time to know when my event was going to be shown.  Crazy, huh?   Grin  I set my DVR to record all scheduled RG events and was let down.  One of my recorded sessions didn't show it at all despite it being the only event scheduled for that block of time.  I wish I could have watched it all but my crazy work schedule wouldn't allow for it.  I have FiOS as my cable provider and checked On Demand to catch it there and they only showed the bits that I saw.  I was happy to see the one American gymnast doing her ribbon program but that was it for her.

RG gets no play here.  I wish it would because it's counterproductive not to broadcast the competitions.  If it's not shown on TV, young girls will never know about it and pursue it as their sport so it will never grow in popularity and get air time.  Catch-22.

On another topic:

I.WANT.THIS.CAP!!!

http://7.mshcdn.com/wp-co...ads/2012/07/UsainBolt.jpg

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:19:29 AM by Ugly Betty » Logged
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #1126 on: August 15, 2012, 03:28:53 AM »

I just have to say how pissed off I am at NBC for their lack of coverage of Rhythmic Gymnastics.  I love watching it and though it isn't on the map in the U.S., I think it's a totally underrated sport.  The whole point of NBC commandeering 4 or 5 of their networks for Olympic coverage was to make sure that all of the events were broadcasted.  I got to watch a whole 10 minutes of the all-around final which only allowed for three performances in two of the four apparatus.

Sad  Sorry you missed it.  NBC did show a lot more than 10 minutes.  I'm thinking that what happened is that you tuned in when it showed up on NBC Olympics site schedule time to be aired.  What I found is that sometimes the prior event coverage over ran it's time causing the start of the rhythmic gymnastics coverage to be delayed.  The next event's coverage would still start at its scheduled time.  The trick was to keep watching.  Even though other air times were not listed, more rhythmic gymnastics coverage would be shown between other events.  I saw the whole finals and most of the semifinals on NBC.

This is the first year I have watched the rhythmic gymnastics.  I typically watch artistic gymnastics in the Olympics and the other major competitions.  Now, I'll be looking into watching more rhythmic gymnastics competitions.  I hope they air them on US tv.

That is exactly what happened.  I relied on the scheduled time to know when my event was going to be shown.  Crazy, huh?   Grin  I set my DVR to record all scheduled RG events and was let down.  One of my recorded sessions didn't show it at all despite it being the only event scheduled for that block of time.  I wish I could have watched it all but my crazy work schedule wouldn't allow for it.  I have FiOS as my cable provider and checked On Demand to catch it there and they only showed the bits that I saw.  I was happy to see the one American gymnast doing her ribbon program but that was it for her.

RG gets no play here.  I wish it would because it's counterproductive not to broadcast the competitions.  If it's not shown on TV, young girls will never know about it and pursue it as their sport so it will never grow in popularity and get air time.  Catch-22.

On another topic:

I.WANT.THIS.CAP!!!

I think you need that cap!  Is it for sale?  I'm sure all of your Dishie friends (myself included) would get it for you Hug

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
federica

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #1127 on: August 15, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »

I just have to say how pissed off I am at NBC for their lack of coverage of Rhythmic Gymnastics.  I love watching it and though it isn't on the map in the U.S., I think it's a totally underrated sport.  The whole point of NBC commandeering 4 or 5 of their networks for Olympic coverage was to make sure that all of the events were broadcasted.  I got to watch a whole 10 minutes of the all-around final which only allowed for three performances in two of the four apparatus.

Totally agree  Star

Their coverage was ABYSMAL. Constant commercials and despite their claims of constant coverage, like you pointed out, it added up to very little. Another gripe of mine is that they only aired tiny segments at very earlier hours of less popular sports, e.g. synchro swimming (a fav of mine)

After I found out that they cut The Who from the Closing Ceremonies in order to show that stupid new program of theirs, I decided that I will now boycott all NBC programming. It's the only way to send a credible message.  Nono
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1128 on: August 15, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij3sgRG5sPY

The closing ceremony at YouTube  Smiley
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #1129 on: August 16, 2012, 11:37:50 PM »

On another topic:

I.WANT.THIS.CAP!!!

Video of the complete rhythmic gymnastics group final: http://www.rtve.es/londre...-2012/videos/video?v=1609
(AFAIK, everybody can watch RTVE.es no matter where you are)

bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1130 on: August 16, 2012, 11:52:46 PM »

Neither of those two links -- closing ceremony on YouTube and rhythmic gymnastics on a Spanish-language site --works here in the US. Guess NBC has total hegemony over Olympics coverage. And I agree that it was really crappy with way too many commercials, too much rah-rah for a handful of U.S. athletes, and dismal coverage of sports outside the mainstream.  I suppose the network already has the upcoming winter games coverage sewed up, too, which really frosts me as I infinitely prefer the winter Olympics.   
sweets7908

« Reply #1131 on: October 14, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »

If you buy the Majesty Magazine (I think it's only available in England and Canada) there's good pictures of royals at the olympics.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: