Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Victoria  (Read 65773 times)
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2021, 02:51:28 AM »

Would Emperor Wilhelm I have possibly abdicated in favor of Crown Prince Friedrich?

I donít think so. I think he was an extreme narcissist and would ever have abdicated unless forced.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2021, 09:37:14 AM »

Would Emperor Wilhelm I have possibly abdicated in favor of Crown Prince Friedrich?

I donít think so. I think he was an extreme narcissist and would ever have abdicated unless forced.

No, he wouldn't. He also had no reason to do so. You can argue that he was old fashioned in his opinions, but that's certainly no reason for abdication.

Abdication would've been seen as weakness and leaving the people unprotected and lack of duty (yes this would be seen differently today, I realize that...King Friedrich II. of Prussia (the Great) saw himself as servant to his people, Franz Joseph I of Austria as first official of the state)

Monarchy at this time was for life as a (god) sent duty and nowadays it still is for many. Just ask Queen Elizabeth II.

In the same way you could ask...why didn't Queen Victoria abdicate?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 09:44:15 AM by Kristallinchen » Logged
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2021, 12:29:49 AM »

Hug Hug We certainly can, and there is nobody Iíd rather have an argument about than this lady. And with you, because you are so well informed!

But now I want to conduct a seance so that we can get these pressing questions answered to our satisfaction. 

A seance would be great.

Btw I think Vicky was an interesting woman, who certainly wanted, what she believed was the best...but aside from her husband I don't think she was good at judging people right or knowing, when to stand back.

She put being a mother first, when she should've first been Crownprincess and vice versa.

She wanted for Wilhelm to get the best education and become liberal. Be it. But he wasn't that type. She couldn't accept it (long before he became Emperor). Instead of supporting him she became frustrated.

She supported her namesake daughter in a die heart love story even though she knew that neither the old Wilhelm I nor Bismarck would ever consent to it. They simply couldn't. Not only because he was a nobody Battenberg, but because it would've interfered in Balkan politics. Bismarck would've never messed up with Russia. Being intelligent as she was, Vicky should've known that and been truthful to her daughter, instead of making her have false hopes.

And about the thing of: If Wilhelm I had died sooner, if Friedrich III. had lived longer, if...then...there would've no WWI etc. etc...

I'm not so sure. As I said before Friedrich and Vicky had shut out everyone. Reigning isn't just about having a few friends in the University, it's about connections. They basically had none. The whole system was against them. Did they think they could change overnight what had been built up for decades? Were they really that naive?

None of them had a personality of leadership like Bismarck at that time (who therefore had to clash with his pupil Wilhelm II., because two alpha dogs naturally can't work together).
Germany would always have sided with Austria and after the assassination of the Austrian Crown prince there was no hope for conflict free solutions. Russia would have sided with Serbia, Germany on the other hand with Austria. Question is where would have Britain stood?

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: