Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Charlotte and King George III  (Read 30205 times)
SeenItAllBefore

Medium Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Doubtful Kitteh does not believe the hype.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »

I like reading a thread that's not about Kate too.  Keep 'em coming!

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right." Thomas Paine
A_little_bird
Banned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »

Charlotte is a very interesting character.
Her hair is quite thick and springy, though it is red.
She had fifteen children! Yikes
Only five or six of them had children. Her daughter, Sophia, could have had an illegitimate child in suspicious circumstances - says the story of Charlotte in Wiki that I just read.
David Cameron is a descendant of her son William.

I love that Charlotte could have had an African connection.
Beatrice sometimes is thought to look a little like Queen Victoria.
I think that Beatrice also looks a little like Victoria's grandmother - Charlotte.

Her daughter more than likely had a child with her brother Ernest. Even her own brothers thought so, and would caution their other sisters not be left alone with him. I have a book with details about the whole situation.
I guess Ernest was away on the Continent for many years in active service, etc, and came back home and formed an attachment to Sophia, who was somewhat of the family pet (her brothers seemed very fond of her).
Sophia, her sisters, and Ernest now home on family duty were left alone at Windsor (?) and then 9 months later...
BessieWallis Warfield

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »

Only five or six of them had children. Her daughter, Sophia, could have had an illegitimate child in suspicious circumstances - says the story of Charlotte in Wiki that I just read.

I think that Beatrice also looks a little like Victoria's grandmother - Charlotte.

Her daughter more than likely had a child with her brother Ernest. Even her own brothers thought so, and would caution their other sisters not be left alone with him. I have a book with details about the whole situation.
I guess Ernest was away on the Continent for many years in active service, etc, and came back home and formed an attachment to Sophia, who was somewhat of the family pet (her brothers seemed very fond of her).
Sophia, her sisters, and Ernest now home on family duty were left alone at Windsor (?) and then 9 months later...

REALLY!  What book is this, may I ask?  Any book I read suggested she had an affair with some guy at court.  I'm fairly certain from what I've read that she did have a child.
A_little_bird
Banned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 02:38:52 PM »

REALLY!  What book is this, may I ask?  Any book I read suggested she had an affair with some guy at court.  I'm fairly certain from what I've read that she did have a child.

Yup. Smiley  The book is "Wicked Ernest" by John Wardroper.

Ernest was with the family at Windsor for around the time of his sister Sophia's birthday in November 1799. The King and Queen left, and Ernest was left with his younger sisters.
This is what the Duke of Kent (another brother) said: that Ernest visted her (Sophia) when she was in bed with a cold, 'took advantage of the family temperament in her, and, without her having any precise idea of what happened, got her with child'.
There is also a diary account of what happened 9 months later. In a nutshell, Sophia was a little under the weather, but Ernest was there to look after her? She was better after a few days.

He seemed to have a very close relationship with Sophia.  Spiteful

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »

I wonder if sometimes we do read too much into something? Is it possible that knowing of such an african descent, we might interpret certain features differently?
Some of the paintings were heavily photoshopped, we know that and back at the time people were just as aware of that fact as we are today of the photoshopping of the perfect celebrity. So perhaps some painters favored this or that feature and enhanced or even attributed it to a face that originally had none of it. While another painter was able to portrait a favourable face, with a lot more similarities to the actual person.

I wonder how the connection to this african ancestry could be so that Caroline could still look more african than european generations after?
Alas negrophobia was rampant then ( in a lot of societies still is) and labeled "a drop of blood a negro".
Hence the idea that even though the connection was 15 generations old, she was still considered "black"

Miss W. don't you worry bringing up such topics. They are by far more interesting then discussing K's latest clownish grin or M's pout.... Hug

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 04:40:29 AM »

In 1772 King George III broke off relations with his brother Henry, the Duke of Cumberland, after learning that Henry had married a commoner named Ann Horton.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 10:21:21 PM »

In 1772 King George III broke off relations with his brother Henry, the Duke of Cumberland, after learning that Henry had married a commoner named Ann Horton.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 11:38:04 PM »

Herbert Taylor was appointed in 1805 as Private Secretary to King George III. George III's eyesight was failing. He needed a secretary to help him carry out his chores.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 11:59:46 PM »

Only after her brother Adolphus Frederick succeeded ton the ducal throne of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in 1752 did Charlotte gain any experience of princely duties and of court life.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 09:16:56 PM »

Queen Charlotte was instructed in botany by Sir James Edward Smith and in botanical illustration by Francis Bauer and Margaret Meen.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 01:02:36 AM »

Queen Charlotte purchased Frogmore House in Windsor Park in 1792 as a country retreat for her and her unmarried daughters.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2019, 10:16:34 PM »

King George III received the Turkish Amnbassador Yusuf Aga Efendi, in London in December 1793.   
http://www.alamy.com/geor...ondon-image156505438.html
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2019, 03:17:31 AM »

It was not until 1801 that King George III dropped England's claim to the French crown.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2019, 03:46:35 AM »

The first symptom of King George III's strange illness was a painful jaw. It was so painful it kept him from sleeping.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 03:51:22 AM »

After the defeat of Yorktown in 1781, King George III actually considered abdicating over the issue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: