Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The DRF and the British Royal Family  (Read 20176 times)
esther angeline

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2012, 04:09:38 AM »

Sweet Suzerain  Star and apologies for overlooking you  Cry  Please stay; I need all the buddies I can find on RD!  Jumping

And  Star for you beloved Curtains.  You too are part of the much loved pack of friends!  Hug Beer
Hester
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2012, 04:19:35 AM »

Thanks EA and Curtains Hug Star Star  The place has been returned to normal Beer

Suzerain- Star for you!  Don't get your coat. Stay awhile.   Thumb up

Thanks!  Blush  Hug I'm too intrigued by all this to really leave.  Grin

Ha ha you've invited a SMOTHERING of thanks, cuddles, hugs, acknowledgements, bows and waves!  Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star
Henny

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »

Looks to me like QE 2 and Marge were quite close back in the day, Anyone know what happened???  Confused
Because nowadays it looks like Marge and family are only invited to anything with the Britís because of protocol. Grin

LadyA-List

Micro Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2012, 03:26:10 AM »

Thanks so much for the history and pics here.  I'm curious too as to why there isn't a closer connection between the two families especially given the Princess Alexandra/Edward VII connection.  Particularly when for the last few royal occasions in Denmark the BRF have sent Prince Edward and Sophie only and Prince William's visit was a a whistlestop at best.   

"She has no money, no connections, nothing that can tempt him" - Jane Austen "Pride and Prejudice"
PrincessMLA
Banned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »

The Brit royal family has always been quite isolated in the past few generations at least. Other than official state events, they don't seem to be too involved with the other royal families.

The connection between Margrethe and Elizabeth is pretty distant. Most of the royal families are connected either by Victoria or one of her kids. Marge and Lilibet are doubly related. Marge's is descended from the brother of Alexandra, Fred VIII (so their grandparents were first cousins), on her father's side. On her mother's side she is also related, as her mother Princess Ingrid of Sweden, was a granddaughter of Prince Arthur of Connaught (through his daughter Margrat, for whom Marge is named for), Victoria's third son.

The families on the continent seem much closer. But they seem connected by either 1. blood or 2. close geographical/trade relations. Marge and CG are cousins. Marge's mother Ingrid was younger sister of CG's father Gustaf Adolph. Makes Vik and Fred, who are good friends, second cousins. The Norweigans are family as well, though not as close. Harald's grandfather Haakon VII, was born a prince of Denmark.  Haakon was the brother of Christian X, making Margrethe's and Harald's fathers first cousins, and making Margrethe and Harald second cousins. So Vik and Haakon are third cousins. Both relations are closer than the BRF, and because of the close connections politically of the Scandi countries, not odd they'd be close.  The Norweigans are doubly related as well, as Haakon's wife Maude was the daughter of Edward and Alexandra, making her a granddaughter of Victoria.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2012, 11:06:27 PM »

I don't quite know what prompted the choice, but when the Norwegian Royal Family had to flee the Nazi occupation, Crown Princess Martha and her kids went to Washington upon the invitation of President Roosevelt, while Olav went with his father King Haakon VII to England, where they served the government in exile.  Perhaps she knew she'd be safer in DC, far from the bombing that blitzed London, but, for some reason, I think that the relationship with the US might have grown stronger and that with the U.K. a little weaker after that.  Certainly King Harald has many positive memories of those years in the U.S. and I don't think there has ever been a comparable connection to the U.K. since then. After all, CP Haakon went to school at UC Berkeley, not Cambridge or Oxford.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2019, 03:21:34 AM »

Esther A, pixiecat (smooches!) LucyInTheSky, SnowQueen, TLLK, EditorAtHome, Lolly, SouthernBelle,  Star for all of you.

MissWaynfleet, I really love the photo montages and my hat's off to anyone that can lay those down side by side.  You are my hero!

Marge certainly has the height to carry off more theatricality in her costuming than petite Elizabeth.

I've always been intrigued by Alexandra of Denmark's marriage to Edward, and how anyone thought that marriage would settle down a rambler like Edward.

Margaret of Connaught's sister, of course, was Princess Patsy.  Patsy was, at one time the object of desperate matchmaking on the part of the Danish sisters Alexandra Princess of Wales and Empress Marie of Russia - wanting to match Patsy with Grand Duke Michael of Russia (Marie's son,) to get him out of his less-than-imperial romances.

On October 7, 1906 The Chicago Daily Tribune reported: A marriage has been announced between Grand Duke Michael of Russia and Princess Patricia of Connaught. The betrothal occurred during the Grand Duke's recent trip to Copenhagen and Scotland.   
Curtains

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »

Esther A, pixiecat (smooches!) LucyInTheSky, SnowQueen, TLLK, EditorAtHome, Lolly, SouthernBelle,  Star for all of you.

MissWaynfleet, I really love the photo montages and my hat's off to anyone that can lay those down side by side.  You are my hero!

Marge certainly has the height to carry off more theatricality in her costuming than petite Elizabeth.

I've always been intrigued by Alexandra of Denmark's marriage to Edward, and how anyone thought that marriage would settle down a rambler like Edward.

Margaret of Connaught's sister, of course, was Princess Patsy.  Patsy was, at one time the object of desperate matchmaking on the part of the Danish sisters Alexandra Princess of Wales and Empress Marie of Russia - wanting to match Patsy with Grand Duke Michael of Russia (Marie's son,) to get him out of his less-than-imperial romances.

On October 7, 1906 The Chicago Daily Tribune reported: A marriage has been announced between Grand Duke Michael of Russia and Princess Patricia of Connaught. The betrothal occurred during the Grand Duke's recent trip to Copenhagen and Scotland.   

And it was the result of matchmaking by dreaming mamas!  It was hotly denied shortly afterward as it evidently was a surprise to both parties, and GD Michael was in-between two inappropriate relationships with commoners.  The poor RR who published this had it on very good authority (sisters, Queen Alexandra and Empress Marie concocted the froth) and he was left hanging when the denials came thick and fast.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Kristallinchen

Gigantic Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2019, 08:28:28 PM »

And it was the result of matchmaking by dreaming mamas!  It was hotly denied shortly afterward as it evidently was a surprise to both parties, and GD Michael was in-between two inappropriate relationships with commoners.  The poor RR who published this had it on very good authority (sisters, Queen Alexandra and Empress Marie concocted the froth) and he was left hanging when the denials came thick and fast.

I think at this time he had a fling with another British Princesse - Beatrice of Edinburgh - but wasn't allowed to marry her as she was a first cousin.

Otherwise it would've been a great match of course.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: