Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Closing Ceremony 2012  (Read 38080 times)
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »

Before the games started they announced that he wouldn't be in London during the second week as he had to work in Wales.

Cloaked

Muted
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »

Emily, Princess Anne and Tim Lawrence were there at the Closing Ceremony as well.
DemoCat

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »

Again no Morrissey.  Maybe either he's considered too controversial or he was asked and declined.  It would have been fabulous to see a Smiths reunion, but that will never happen.
Royalfan 72

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »

Heard a rumour on another site (not a royal site, but a political site), that the reason Her Maj didn't turn up was because the Duke of Edinburgh is ill.

Usually on very big occasions like this, if QEII can't be present, then Charles fills in, and if Charles can't be present either, then William fills in, and so on, down the chain of succession.

At the opening ceremony, not only were the Queen and Duke of E present, but Charles and Camilla, William, Kate and Harry,  Princess Anne and her husband, the York girls, Edward and his wife, and so on.

At the closing ceremony, we just got Harry and Kate. All the Queen's children were absent from what I can tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And Harry looked unusually serious - I initially thought it was the effect of being introduced as "Prince Henry", but now I think something else was amis...

I think I saw Anne at the closing ceremony.  He was sitting behind Harry. From my point of view by all symphathies for Harry it would have been more appropriate if Charles would have represented the Queen. Harry is of course the athletes generation, but Charles is the PoW.

Far from all I liked the Closing ceremony cause I'm just very much into British Pop Music. Lot of my favourite musicians and bands like Muse, George Michael, Pet Shop Boys,  Beadye Eye (Oasis) were on the stage. So it was a real highlight for me personally. The only ones I realy missed were Robbie Williams and Adele. But they are excused due to their pregnancies. Although I'm back from the Olympics since August 3rd my mind and heart are still in London... It was just such a great experience.
hanzo1
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Costa Rica Costa Rica

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »

Again no Morrissey.  Maybe either he's considered too controversial or he was asked and declined.  It would have been fabulous to see a Smiths reunion, but that will never happen.
I saw Morrissey in a concert few weeks ago  Banana  Banana I have no doubt that he disliked the show and I would have been disappointed seeing him there selling out

Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?

DemoCat

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2012, 05:43:23 PM »

I saw Morrissey in a concert few weeks ago  Banana  Banana I have no doubt that he disliked the show and I would have been disappointed seeing him there selling out

I'll see him in Beaumont, Texas on 12/1/12.  Can't wait!  It would be nice to know he had been asked, but probably wasn't. 
hanzo1
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Costa Rica Costa Rica

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: August 13, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »

I'll see him in Beaumont, Texas on 12/1/12.  Can't wait!  It would be nice to know he had been asked, but probably wasn't. 
wow I'm jealous feel like seeing him preforming again tonight! so great!

Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?

bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: August 13, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »

I kind of lost it when they projected that lovely photo of a John Lennon when ``Imagine'' was being sung.  He was so filled with idealism and hope for the future.''

Was absolutely furious that NBC apparently didn't think it was important to show Darcey Bussell and the Royal Ballet. I just couldn't believe it when they cut off without showing this part of the closing ceremonies.

Thought the Spice Girls were really fun and so was the Monty Python skit. I don't think I realized how much of what we think of as ``our'' pop music came over from the U.K. until I saw the closing show.

On the other hand, the fashion model thing was just plain stupid with the trucks driving around in circles with giant billboards. Supermodels at the Olympics? I don't think so.

The great show Brazil put on at the end makes me eager to see what will be conjured up in Rio. But I wonder if their opening and closing ceremonies will have as much universal appeal as many moments of what the Brits put on in London.   
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: August 13, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »

Heard a rumour on another site (not a royal site, but a political site), that the reason Her Maj didn't turn up was because the Duke of Edinburgh is ill.

Usually on very big occasions like this, if QEII can't be present, then Charles fills in, and if Charles can't be present either, then William fills in, and so on, down the chain of succession.

At the opening ceremony, not only were the Queen and Duke of E present, but Charles and Camilla, William, Kate and Harry,  Princess Anne and her husband, the York girls, Edward and his wife, and so on.

At the closing ceremony, we just got Harry and Kate. All the Queen's children were absent from what I can tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And Harry looked unusually serious - I initially thought it was the effect of being introduced as "Prince Henry", but now I think something else was amis...

I that rumor too but it was on twitter and hope its not true. I thought QEII and DoE were originally scheduled to attend the Closing Ceremony.  Nerves
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Princess Gollumina wants her precioussss

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: August 13, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »

Maybe he had heard beforehand that they sold hot dogs or other types of meat at the stadium and demanded nobody eat meat while he's there... Whistle Has happened before.

But where was Tom Jones? Elton John? Shirley Bassey? The Rolling Stones? Coldplay? The list goes on. And I will not forgive them for not playing any T.Rex, Joy Division etc. Here's some ideas:

The 50 Greatest British Bands of All-Time
The 50 Best British Artists of All Time

With all the nostalgic artists they could've dug up Duran Duran or Kim Wilde while they were at it. And think of the ultimate chance for rickrolling they missed!! That would've been the best if Rick Astley suddenly popped out of the Big Ben or something...  Laughing

The Rally Prince driving (yes, it's really him)...
Sondra Finchley

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: August 14, 2012, 01:11:02 AM »

Depeche Mode's front man Dave Gahan can really get a stadium sized crowd rocking (similar in some respects of showmanship to Freddie Mercury), but they have never been loved by the British press, despite their international sales and acclaim.  Heck, Muse opened for them back in 2006!

At least they had one electronic act, but given the Brits really took what the Germans started in experimental synth music and made it into something amazing, maybe they could have had a larger act than the PSB Smiley

Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: August 14, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »

To be honest: I thought this closing ceremony sucked! Very bombastic and huge, but no artistic concept at all. 
I liked the fantastic and funny opening ceremony ( The Queen with Daniel Craig-supercool!) and the games very much and I loved to watch all kinds of competitions ...pretty wonderful games!
But this closing party....uagh!! I had to switch to another channel because I felt so embarrassed..they put in everybody who was/is famous in Britain no matter what... horrible showoff and boring! Blush

ITA. The Closing was a bit of a disaster area IMO.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, I spoke to after the Opening had such a sense of pride about Danny Boyle's event and that it really reflected us as a country. Who we are, what we believe in, what we hold dear. The Closing? Most people seemed to view it as a bad 80s school disco. Yes, there were some good bits but overall it was a mish mash.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
christina01
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Play Time after a long day of Dishing.

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: August 14, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »

Where I live the closing was considered to be wonderful, and we even saw Brits interviewed who exclaimed the closing far better than the opening ceremony.
freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

BooHoo Sugars

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: August 14, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »

Just because I just found it...

Still makes me cry.... for many Aussies, Cathy Freeman winning her gold is one of those moments where you remember where you were when it happened.  I was in Shepparton, a country town, and the pub was PACKED and SCREAMING.  Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNmuyxlZ9Kk

Ain't nobody got time for Mary's sh*t.
abs

Humongous Member

Svalbard and Jan Mayen Svalbard and Jan Mayen

Illegal substances? MOI???!!!

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: August 14, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »

Just want to say to the Brits WELL DONE!!! I enjoyed the closing ceremony very much!  Thumb up

SEXY,SEXY!!!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: