Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Religion and the royals  (Read 17670 times)
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2021, 01:12:50 AM »

King Henry VIII was the sovereign of England.   
Prior Holloway surrendered Bath Priory to the crown in January 1539. It was sold to Humphrey Colles of Taunton. The abbey was stripped of its co-cathedral status in the aftermath of the Dissolution. The church was stripped of lead, iron, and glass and left to decay.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2021, 02:55:53 AM »

Gil Sanchez Munoz y Carbon was one of the antipopes of the Avignon Papacy. He reigned from June 10, 1423 to July 26, 1429 as Clement VIII. Clement VIII's fate was bound up with the ambitions of King Alfonso V of Aragon. Alfonso wished to negotiate for Napes. Alfonso's wife, Queen Maria of Castile and the Aragonese bishops supported Pope Martin V.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2021, 01:49:38 AM »

Due to his profound love of the Catholic Church and his faithfulness to Christ above all things, King Louis IX of France is considered to be the ideal model of the holy Christian ruler and monarch according to the will of God.   
http://catholicismpure.wo...5/king-louis-ix-of-france
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2021, 01:51:20 AM »

Due to his profound love of the Catholic Church and his faithfulness to Christ above all things, King Louis IX of France is considered to be the ideal model of the holy Christian ruler and monarch according to the will of God.   

Cyril, you won't believe this, but I lectured on King Louis IX today in one of my history classes!  Champagne  So fun to come on here to unwind and see you mention him!  Grin
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2021, 10:56:01 PM »

I believe that Charles has said that when he is king, he wished to be proclaimed as the ``defender of faithS'' rather than ``defender of the (one) faith.'' Given how multicultural the UK is, that seems a wise and inclusive choice, but will probably send some traditionalists into paroxysms.

From my perspective, we are in the midst of an era that is both increasingly secular and multicultural. Yet here in the U.S. we are continually having to deal with white-supremacist Christian fundamentalists who insist that we are and should remain a white Christian nation, a notion quite at odds with our Deist founding fathers.  I do see the role of traditional religion as being more important in the nations that are still headed by a king and that may be more culturally homogenous such as Belgium, Spain, and Luxembourg.

But then I go to Norway, from which my then-pietist paternal branch of the family emigrated because, as members of a minority Lutheran sect, they felt they couldn't freely practice their religion. When I return, I see the family members who were left behind might go through confirmation -- although increasing numbers of them are opting for what are known as ``humanist confirmations''-- but otherwise seldom set foot in church except maybe for lovely candle-lit Lucia or Christmas concerts.   Change is all around us.  And I think it's affecting the royals just as well.  Are any of them regular Sunday church-goers, for example?

Far be it from me to judge the sincerity-- or lack thereof-- of various royals' religious observances, but I would be amazed if most of them are still following so strictly in the footsteps of previous generations. How could they fail to be affected by the vast cultural changes over the past recent decades?
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2021, 01:29:33 AM »

Cyril, you won't believe this, but I lectured on King Louis IX today in one of my history classes!  Champagne  So fun to come on here to unwind and see you mention him!  Grin

Cordelia, It is nice that you taught a class on King Louis IX.
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2021, 11:39:06 PM »

Nice!!! What is the name of the course you are teaching? I assume this would be at a Uni?
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2021, 11:41:21 PM »

Nice!!! What is the name of the course you are teaching? I assume this would be at a Uni?

Close!  Advanced Placement European History, which is college level although taught to high school!
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2021, 05:48:43 AM »

I believe that Charles has said that when he is king, he wished to be proclaimed as the ``defender of faithS'' rather than ``defender of the (one) faith.'' Given how multicultural the UK is, that seems a wise and inclusive choice, but will probably send some traditionalists into paroxysms.

From my perspective, we are in the midst of an era that is both increasingly secular and multicultural. Yet here in the U.S. we are continually having to deal with white-supremacist Christian fundamentalists who insist that we are and should remain a white Christian nation, a notion quite at odds with our Deist founding fathers.  I do see the role of traditional religion as being more important in the nations that are still headed by a king and that may be more culturally homogenous such as Belgium, Spain, and Luxembourg.

But then I go to Norway, from which my then-pietist paternal branch of the family emigrated because, as members of a minority Lutheran sect, they felt they couldn't freely practice their religion. When I return, I see the family members who were left behind might go through confirmation -- although increasing numbers of them are opting for what are known as ``humanist confirmations''-- but otherwise seldom set foot in church except maybe for lovely candle-lit Lucia or Christmas concerts.   Change is all around us.  And I think it's affecting the royals just as well.  Are any of them regular Sunday church-goers, for example?

Far be it from me to judge the sincerity-- or lack thereof-- of various royals' religious observances, but I would be amazed if most of them are still following so strictly in the footsteps of previous generations. How could they fail to be affected by the vast cultural changes over the past recent decades?

You make a lot of sound observations. The only royal I know of who is devout and a regular churchgoer is QE2. 
Gemsheal

Large Member

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2021, 05:48:32 PM »

You make a lot of sound observations. The only royal I know of who is devout and a regular churchgoer is QE2. 

I have no first hand knowledge but I bet Phil & Til go to services regularly.   

In re: the bolded, I have traveled the U.S. and have yet to meet anyone meeting that description.  On social media, of course, there are such persons and groups but in reality, 9 out of 10 people are just living their lives and their beliefs quietly and are not trying to impose anything on anyone.     

How quick come the reasons for approving what we like!

- Jane Austen
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: